eye value and dating ?

joefm

eye value and dating ?

Post by joefm »

hey this is joe im new here i was wondering if anybody knew of a book well anything that i can go by that dates eye brand knives i got a tang stamp chart off here before once but i was hoping for something better and also a value guide i dont have many eyes but im always looking for one my wife jus bought me a eye brand moose i have a slimmer serpentine style moose hut this one is bigger and it came with a big price tag too and the stag congresses and a few more i have i just go by what i see ppl paying online and woukd like to know more anything or information would be appreciated thanks
Railroad Joe
Steve Warden

Re: eye value and dating ?

Post by Steve Warden »

Hi and welcome!
Sorry I can't help with any info. No doubt someone will be along with more knowledge than I.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Cletus Awreetus

Post by Cletus Awreetus »

you need to be on the lookout for EyeBJoe and/or Paladin. short of Carl himself showing up here, them's your guys.
-the problem with society today is, no one drinks from the skulls of their dead enemies anymore..-
joefm

Post by joefm »

ok i appreciate it i just posted some pics of some knives my wife bought me on ebay i had 2 old bokers stolen and she made up for them and while i was looking for those i found my dads boker usa hawkbill 9215m that was stolen in 2005 so its been crazy but she def hit a home run i cant never do that good but im glad his knife is home again i posted what i think to be is a really rare case canoe that i havent saw yet just the pics cuz im outta town til i run my train back tomorrow and i was asking advice on the case collectors forum we have to sell a couple and i never sell hence asking for help thanks again

joe
Railroad Joe
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I know of no book that gives much info on Eye Brand knives. How the master blade is marked has changed over time but exact dates are uncertain and as with all knife manufacturers older blades can get used to build new knives.
kj
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

There’s a thread here called a Tang Stamps Charts. You may have found it already but here is a link to one of the posts there about Eye Brand viewtopic.php?f=4&t=39799&p=502097&hili ... er#p458227. Click on the chart to enlarge it for easier reading. Also if you scroll down a few posts in that thread there’s another chart showing Eye Brand stamps.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
EyeBJoe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by EyeBJoe »

Joefm, KJ is correct that no specific book regarding specific dating and particularly valuations exists for Carl Schlieper and Eye Brand cutlery. Those topics have been raised here on AAPK several times, leading to basically the same conclusions. The tang stamp chart you refer to has been a great help to those of us who collect Schlieper cutlery, but there is not much more in the way of specific publications.

Many years ago following a trip to the Carl Schlieper cutlery plant in Solingen, Germany, I had visions of attempting to put together such a publication. But, over time, there existed too many variations and inconsistencies for the work to be meaningful and accurate. As to valuations, lots of folk here will direct you to the eBay sold and completed auctions search function to get an idea of historical sales and trades. Perhaps Paladin will join in the discussion here as he has probably bought and sold more Eye Brand and Schlieper knives than all the rest of us. Good luck in your search for the knives of Schlieper. There as some really great patterns and variations out there. The older knives were of better overall quality and collectability.

Joe D.
joefm

Post by joefm »

thanks for the info i agree i like old knives period eye brand is my wifes favorite she dont care when they are made she only likes schlieper eyes i like case and a few others she was the one that found the tang stamp chart i use it she says im wasting my time i contradict myself and i think shes right and she also has such good luck buying knives she hit a home run last week i posted pucs on the case collectors forum the only one she likes outta all those is the stag 65-69 stockman she bought me an eye brand moose dark bone to go with my slim one this mornin i had 2 knives stolen recently shes trying to soften the blow when she sells a few of the ones i posted today
Railroad Joe
wandering bear

Post by wandering bear »

Hello Dennis here, I am new to this forum. I have been a knife dealer for over thirty years and travel from Montana to the Arizona territory.
Yes I became a SNOW BIRD or as I like to tell it,I got smart after 7 years living in a Tipi and guiding hunts in Montana.
I have done my share of cold. I now ride my Harley in Arizona for Christmas,my present to me.

Enough intro,I acquired a eye brand Carl Schlieper Machete #160 dose anyone know anything about it,value, rarity, age etc.
It is a well built knife and sharpens to a fine edge. If you have any info please fire back and let me know THANKS Dennis aka (Wandering Bear)
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Welcome Dennis, a picture is worth a thousand words and at least they get you a few more. Be interesting to see you big knife. ::handshake::
wandering bear

Post by wandering bear »

Hi Guys I am up in the Show Low mountains of Az ,Yes I cant resist the Mountains.
I am heading back to the Tucson area soon and will post pics. any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Dennis
Froe

Post by Froe »

Does anyone have any tips about dating the 'JIm Bowie' line of Carl Schlieper knives?
I see some tang stamps stating 'Germany' and some saying ' Solingen Germany'. Is that any clue?
Thanks Gents.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I don't know how to date the "Jim Bowie" knives but i doubt if being marked "Solingen" could reliably date them Likely there was more than one stamping dye at any one time.
kj
Froe

Post by Froe »

Thanks KJ.

Return to “German Eye”