"Big" Sodbuster

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
WelderBob
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

"Big" Sodbuster

Post by WelderBob »

This is a friends knife, we are trying to pin down a approximate date of manufacture. We figure its a display knife, at 8 1/4" closed
it would be a pocket full. No tang stamp, just the blade etch. Talk about strong pull and snap...this one will take a finger off !
Attachments
IMG_6880.JPG
IMG_6883.JPG
Bob

"To Ride, Shoot Straight, And Speak The Truth" - Jeff Cooper
EyeBJoe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: "Big" Sodbuster

Post by EyeBJoe »

WelderBob, your friend’s knife dates to the 1970’s. The knife was in the general line of knives offered by Knife Importers of Austin, Texas. It actually was not intended to be a display knife, but was marketed as a type of heavy duty camp knife. Problems arose when people began using the knife almost like a hatchet and Knife Importers started receiving them back in numbers as defective with broken back springs. They were discontinued after just a few years. In good condition such as the example here, it represents a great Eye Brand collectible. If your friend likes collectible knives he has a nice Eye Brand to add.

Joe D.
WelderBob
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by WelderBob »

Thank you Joe, that's very interesting. Never would have thought its use as a camp knife. Not a good hatchet or machete.
My friend is a collector so I'm sure it will be a display knife from now on.

Bob
Bob

"To Ride, Shoot Straight, And Speak The Truth" - Jeff Cooper
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I had 3 of these. One i sold to an esteemed AAPK'er. Of the 2 left one is as new, but the other was attacked with a grinder and left badly scarred.
There is another Eye Brand 'Sod Buster' that is about 6" closed that is a more usable knife but this size is rarely seen.
kj

Return to “European-made knives”