A belated Christmas gift

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
Beavertail

A belated Christmas gift

Post by Beavertail »

I was looking in a old dresser that my Father used and found a wrapped Christmas gift to me from him.
He passed away in 2004 so that would make it nearly twenty years old.
When I opened it I've never had such a rush of excitement and sadness come over me.
He was the finest person I know and I still miss him.
Attachments
1-S6IVN3B9HTOYlhFK09u2hXh43FPsMSI.jpg
Tim
beresman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: A belated Christmas gift

Post by beresman »

That nearly brings tears to my eyes; I can only imagine how you felt!
Brent
BWT

Post by BWT »

Thanks for sharing that Tim ::tu:: ::tu::
Bill
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Those are the best discoveries Tim, thanks for sharing.

We are moving in the Spring and to prep for the move we are opening every box we have stored and making final determinations. My FIL who lived with us from 2009 until he was called home in 2018 had a US Luggage Travel Bar that we thought was just the bar set. Last week we discovered unopened an Imperial Quart bottle of Beefeaters Gin, a liter of Canadian Club opened with a 1963 tax stamp and an unopened quart of Bacardi 151. I’m not a drinker but there was some hootin’ and hollerin’ that evening in my house!
::handshake::
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Beavertail, that is special! A wonderful reminder of your father and his love for you. ::handshake::
As BWT said, thanks for sharing with us.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Such a wonderful story Tim. If you celebrate Christmas and you put
up a tree place it under the tree this year.

Bob
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Beavertail what a find. Being the sentimental type, that would have really gotten to me too.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
eveled

Post by eveled »

That would be in my pocket everyday for the rest of my life.
Bonus that its a real USA made Schrade
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

WOW.... what a beautiful story!

::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

This is a nice story. My mother in law had a habit of forgetting presents at Christmas and even birthdays. She would come in weeks or months later with a wrapped gift in her hands that she just stumbled across. She always had a sheepish look on her face that she forgot to give this at the appropriate time. It got to be a joke with the whole family. Those are the kind of memories that bring the loved one back alive in your hearts. Nothing like finding an expression of your fathers kindness to make you feel connected to him again Tim.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

What a wonderful story and I also Thank you for sharing it with us. I would ensure that that particular knife had a Prominent Place to rest in my home, among my collection, as a constant reminder to the love your Dad shared with you.

Tom
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Chase wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:12 pm What a wonderful story and I also Thank you for sharing it with us. I would ensure that that particular knife had a Prominent Place to rest in my home, among my collection, as a constant reminder to the love your Dad shared with you.

Tom

Great to see your post, Tom. Hope things are going well!
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
JonTerry

Post by JonTerry »

This is a very heart tugging story, I totally understand the bitter sweetness of the find.

Today I nearly lost my thumb in a stupid sanding moment with some bone Camel bone Scales, a lot of blood and a very sore thumb.

I mention this because the knife I was making is for my father-in-laws Christmas present, and he is not well so I was hoping to make this as my fears are it could be his last Chrsitmas.

He is a very cool and interesting character who whilst taking his family on a over ground trip from Europe to Nepal he purchased a Knife in Afganistan which was made with metal from a russian missile and it had Camel bone Handles..............now I cannot source any Soviet Missle Metal atm but I did find some Camel bone. ( He had to surrender it at an Airport and never folllowed up the return )

But today turned into a Flying Camel bone nightmare.

Anyway your story tugged my heart a bit especially after todays events and the reasons behind them.

Take Care

JT
You do not have a soul, you are a soul, what you have is a body

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”