Schrade Barlow With Funky Stamp

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
Lama
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Schrade Barlow With Funky Stamp

Post by Lama »

Here's one I picked up a while back with a stamp I've never seen before. I'll call it a Scratch Out. Not only are there two strikes or scratches through the word Schrade, but it's stamped on top of what appears to be another Schrade stamp that has been ground out. I can make out a partial USA and a model number, just like a normal stamp. Nowhere in my research can I find an example of this stamp. Does anyone have information why this may have been done, or if it's even a legitimate Schrade stamp?
Attachments
IMG_6084.jpeg
IMG_6087.jpeg
IMG_6092.jpeg
IMG_6093.jpeg
IMG_6094.jpeg
IMG_6095.jpeg
tongueriver

Re: Schrade Barlow With Funky Stamp

Post by tongueriver »

More knowledgeable chaps will surely chime in but I think I see an Ulster USA #10 there. The clip blade is not Schrade, although you may know that Ulster U.S.A. and Schrade were basically one and the same toward the last days of Ulster, as they were both in the same Ulster buildings in Ellenville, NY. All of that boogering up of the tang stamp makes it a second.
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Yep, what Cal said. Something made that a second, might have been the slightly screwed up counterbores in the pin holes or maybe the nicked off handles near the bolsters. No telling at this point. Even though it was an Ulster they likely only had the Schrade seconds stamp (note the two diagonal lines through it) so they just used that one. A lot of those seconds were sold in the company store at a steep discount.

Eric
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

Cal and Eric both already answered correctly so I'll just add this last bit. That Ulster 10 was originally slated to be a Sears contract knife. Under 'SCHRADE' on the tang stamp you can see the remnants of 'U.S.A. 9540' which was the bottom line of the original stamp. Above that it said 'CRAFTSMAN' but that was ground off before they stamped the x-ed out SCHRADE on there.
- Jason
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

jxr1197 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:59 pm Cal and Eric both already answered correctly so I'll just add this last bit. That Ulster 10 was originally slated to be a Sears contract knife. Under 'SCHRADE' on the tang stamp you can see the remnants of 'U.S.A. 9540' which was the bottom line of the original stamp. Above that it said 'CRAFTSMAN' but that was ground off before they stamped the x-ed out SCHRADE on there.
Thanks for great info!
Lama
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Lama »

Thank you all for the excellent information about the the stamp on my knife, and the Ulster/Schrade history. The connection to Sears is an added bonus. I couldn't make out the model number and am glad to have it clarified. I'm curious, what makes the clip blade, "not a Schrade?"

Thanks again gentlemen for the excellent history lesson.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

The craftsmen in different cutleries develop a way of grinding the swedges on the spine of the blade differently. After one sees a few thousand Schrades or Imperials, etc. you see a trend in how the blade is ground.

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”