Vintage Taylor Manila Folder balisong knife

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
scubatiger

Vintage Taylor Manila Folder balisong knife

Post by scubatiger »

New to the forum, but have been collecting knives for many years. Hope I'm in the right place, and if not, pls let me know what the proper section would be. I recently acquired an early Taylor Cutlery Manila Folder balisong in excellent condition and wanted to see if anyone could tell me more about it. I've had a couple of MFs over the years, and the stamp on the ricasso always said TAYLOR/SETO & SURGICAL JAPAN. But this one is different, showing TAYLOR COTLERY (not a typo - the U was replaced with an O) and then SURGICAL JAPAN and below that is C 1982 (I assume the production year) and then S.A.T. Pics attached. Don't know if this was a common error, or possibly an early specimen to work out the bugs?? Also curious, the box in which it came had another typo, showing MANIRA FOLDER. I have not been able to find anything online about these errors, so if anyone has any info, I'd appreciate it.
Taylor Manila Folder blade base close.jpg
Taylor Manila Folder box side.jpg
Taylor Manila Folder box top ManiRa error.jpg
Taylor Manila Folder open left.jpg
Taylor Manila Folder open rt.jpg
tongueriver

Re: Vintage Taylor Manila Folder balisong knife

Post by tongueriver »

If you scroll through this menu, you will find a couple places where your query might be more appropriate. You are presently attempting to do so in a subforum designed to discuss U.S. Schrade knives made from 1904 until mid 2004.

https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_forum/
scubatiger

Post by scubatiger »

tongueriver wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:21 pm If you scroll through this menu, you will find a couple places where your query might be more appropriate. You are presently attempting to do so in a subforum designed to discuss U.S. Schrade knives made from 1904 until mid 2004.

https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_forum/
I looked thru the forums and didn't see any category that seemed like a good fit. If you have a suggestion, pls let me know. It's not really a 'high-end' unit, so I wouldn't think it would fit in High End Japanese Knives. Maybe Modern Tactical Knives? I understand Taylor Brands purchased the Schrade line many years ago, which is why I thought this would be the best fit.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

General Knife Discussion would be fine- viewforum.php?f=2

::welcome:: to AAPK! Maybe a mod can move your post if necessary.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”