BTI, Battenfield, American Outdoors

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
Woody's Workshop

BTI, Battenfield, American Outdoors

Post by Woody's Workshop »

Taylor Brands bought the rights to Imperial Schrade in 2004 when the Wife of the late owner put the company in Bankruptcy. (As we all know)
2018 Taylor Brands sold the rights to Battenfield, under the American Outdoor parent Company. (Also, as we all know)
There was a supply problem for a short time following this change of hands.
In the new supply under the BTI, Battenfield Brands, this is what I have experienced.
I've ordered over a dozen Old Timer pocket knives from the Pal to the Big Stockman, 8 0T.
Some I ordered 2 of so my son and I would have matching knives for any occasion.
First of all, the blade lengths are mostly under spec length.
Secondly, the way they are sharpened. They take way too much metal off the blade near the tang.
Makes the blade look like it's been sharpened many times. Reminds me of the very cheap brands Frost (Rest in Peace Jim) sells like the Bare Foot Line.
Thirdly, some of the knives had blade wobble, and/or play when in the open locked position.
None were centered between the liners and many rubbed the liners on opening and closing of the blades.
A couple had horrible fitting bolsters and/or scales.
I returned all them except one. Which I believe was a Taylor Brands that was put in BTI packaging box.
I found out that the supply shortage was due the transfer of machinery from Taylor's manufacturer to a different manufacturer in China.
While under this move of machinery they reduced production cost, but threw quality aside. AND, raised prices.
While Taylor moved manufacturing to China, they kept up the quality that Old Timer has had for decades.
Even though the Derlin scales were changed to a less expensive version, they seam to be just fine in the one's I have.
I do not know if BTI changed the scales...yet.
Since I have almost all of the fixed blades I wanted under the Taylor Brands Quality, I've yet to get a BTI Brands fixed blade.
But I will, to see what is the difference between the Taylor and BTI Brands.
When I look around for knives online these days, and find something I'm interested in. The first thing I do is inquire who's name is on the packaging!
If it's a Taylor Brand and reasonably priced, and I can afford it, I will buy it. If it's BTI American Outdoors, forget it.
And of coarse I still seek out the finest USA made Old Timers and Uncle Henry's. But they can get pricey for me.
They usually go for more than I feel comfortable paying. Unless it's one with worn down, rusty, bent or broken blades and broken scales.
It's funny, but if BTI doesn't improve quality I think the Taylor Brands will be collectable. Well, they are to some extent.
As a part of the Imperial Schrade History Line.
PART 2
So I began to search around, read reviews, and ordered several different brands of the same frame pattern to check them out.
What I came up with for a decently made, reasonably priced pocket knife was kind of a surprise.
And then I started doing more research on the brand. Finding out who owned it, what the company had in mind for the brand, etc.
It's been in the market for 25 years, and made in China of coarse.
Remembering I'm poor, a decently priced quality knife will have a different amount of money associated with that statement from other income levels.
The Brand is Rough Rider. They are a well made knife and stout, with nicely polished blades and decently sharpened.
They have a nice large frame pattern selection. They run unique scale materials for a limited time and then change.
Making them collectable, which is just my opinion in the way my mind works.
They also have a scale line that is constant, and they even have a Carbon Steel Blade Line.
It saddens me that the great name of Imperial Schrade Brands have dumped quality after so many years, just to satisfy the greed of profit.
But I'm happy that I found another brand that is equal in quality, and a line of collectable knives (in my own mind).
And has lines that satisfy the pocket money wise for a knife to carry and use daily.
They have great fit and finish, feel good in the hand, and they look good as well.
And, they have a line of fixed blades. Mostly stacked leather rings, some stage, wood & bone.
They even have some nice tactical folding knives. I have both the Route 66 and stone washed frame lock I like very much.
You can't find a better made knife for less money. In my opinion.
And many of them come in very nice colored collector boxes! That's gotta cost them something!
This is just what I found out on my own. In my non-professional honest opinion.
If someone has greater knowledge (and I'm sure many do) I would be interested in hearing about it.
Mostly pertaining to why quality of the Imperial Schrade Line has fallen so much on the pocket knife line.
Thank You All Kindly for your time.
RancherinAz

Re: BTI, Battenfield, American Outdoors

Post by RancherinAz »

I've got a nice little collection of USA Schrade stuff . Awesome stuff , I've also got a nice little collection of Rough Riders , and like you say , great bang for the buck . Oh and I have a Buck 110 too . From what I understand , Smoky Mountain Knife Works own Rough Rider . Now I'm hearing that they bought the Queen name and the new Queen stuff is Chinese too . They also own the Colonel Coon line and as far as I know those will remain being produce domestically . I've heard the Colonel Coon brand being referred to as the Rough Riders of the USA . And there's more but my memory is failing me at the moment . Anyway , now I hear Canal Street Cutlery closed their doors and some of the makers are going it on their own . So who's left ? GEC and Case ?
My Rough Riders
Attachments
image.jpeg
RancherinAz

Post by RancherinAz »

Oh , I forgot to mention that my experience with The BTI stuff is that the Schrade line has actually improved over what Taylor Brands was doing . Maybe the move and such was causing some growing pains . But my Schrade collection has 4 BTI peices in it and it's really tough to tell other than 2 of the peices I don't believe we're ever in the original pattern lineup for Schrade USA . That would be the two Hawkbills I have and they are easily as nice as any Rough Rider and in my experience more consistent in QC . I'm totally impressed with the Uncle Henry and Old Timer non lockback 5 1/4 " folding hunters I just bought and they are BTI production . I can hardly put the things down .
At like 22 bucks a piece I can't believe it . And they come with a really nice leather snap top belt sheath to boot .
Attachments
image.jpeg
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

I have never been able to warm up to the Taylor Brands and ESPECIALLY the latest china made "Schrades"...

My next door neighbor got a Schrade trapper for Christmas and while opening it... he dropped it. The end of the blade was so brittle that it snapped off.

I think the chinese have dropped their standards in a lot of what the produce. After all.... it's going to America for sale.

I can understand needing a knife and having to get what is available at the time just to have something to carry.

But as for me.... USA made or nothing.

Just my $.02 on knives produced in china.
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Meridian_Mike wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 11:21 am But as for me.... USA made or nothing. Just my $.02 on knives produced in china.
Amen, Mike. I don't know how these crap Communist Schrade posts get onto this subforum. It is abundantly clear that they are not welcome. There is another area of AAPK for "Insult-to-Americans" knives.

This is the header for this subforum:
"Schrade Legacy Forum
Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.
This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name."

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”