S8606 Shac - Schrade Cut Co 2-1/4" MOP lobster

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
kootenay joe

Re: S8606 Shac - Schrade Cut Co 2-1/4" MOP lobster

Post by kootenay joe »

bladecollectorr wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:06 pm
kootenay joe wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:26 pm "Juxtaposed, I can fully appreciate what's tiny and what's giant."
The "giant" looks similar to the 4 7/8" IXL "Texas Stockman" that was released as a Schrade-IXL in 1981, except the sheepsfoot blade has become a Wharncliffe and the hard wood handles, jigged bone. Can you explain where this knife comes from ?
kj
kj, I posted some details about it in a thread you started. It is the same frame. viewtopic.php?f=64&t=55772&p=755129&hil ... xl#p755129

The bone and pins look exactly like the Parker "Bison" that tr posted in that thread. I think its a legit factory knife. I was waiting to clean and polish it before scanning it for its own thread. Best guess is it was made up as a prototype for the Schrade I*XL Commemorative or an employee custom made up at some point from available parts. There is nothing written inside on the liners. The guy I bought it from had no extra information.
Thanks. I had forgotten that it was in an earlier thread. Most of the "Schrade-IXL" knives were made by Camillus and then sent to Britain for hafting (putting handle slabs on). The exception is this 4 7/8" "Texas Stockman" which is an old IXL-Wostenholm pattern and it was made in Britain.
I wonder if yours is a variation made to show Schrade before they decided to go with the standard Texas Stockman blade choices ?
kj

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”