serial # question

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
tongueriver

serial # question

Post by tongueriver »

Do we know for sure that the serial numbers on Uncle Henry knives were specific to one pattern? For instance, I have a 171UH 'bowie' knife with the early bird-head pommel. We know that they switched to the square butt pommel, probably fairly soon. My knife has a serial number of 08075, so may we assume that the bird head pommels ran for more than eight thousand knives? Or not? What if they used the serial number stamps on more than one concurrent pattern? Is this ridiculous? Maybe somebody knows. I just did not think they made that many 171UH knives in that variation. But they dang sure could turn out some knives!
JAMESC41001

Re: serial # question

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Cal, as you know the 171 came out in 1971 and the change over from the Walden mark to Schrade was in 73. For a short time the walden mark appeared on the square 171 pommel from record I’ve seen about production runs I would guess the initial first production run was likely around 3000. I have one of each Mark so I will take a look. I would think after the 153 was introduced sales of the 171 fell off since it was so popular. This was in 73 and both knives were made for sears for a time so I think there were plenty of them rolling off the line during this period. I believe they tried to keep up with serial numbers on the loss replacement knives until that just became way to much. That serial number seems reasonable is what I’m trying to say.
Jay

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”