Copenhagen Score.

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
cody6268

Copenhagen Score.

Post by cody6268 »

I bought three Kershaws from a guy who'd split from eBay to start his own website specializing in used knives. Well, a few minutes ago, I got an email that the Leek was out of stock, and I decided to start looking at American Schrades. I almost bought an 897UH, but found the Copenhagen version of the 93OT, which has the wickedly aggressive serrations that are featured on some of Schrade's newer patterns from the '90s. This one's used, so I can EDC it, occasionally. I'd been looking at getting these, but absurd prices for my budget put me off.

Were these carbon steel? Becuase it sure looks like it.

$28, 50% off discount, meaning $14.
57_55ee71fc-c1b2-45e5-ab6e-f31cabe4f58c_1024x1024.jpg
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Copenhagen Score.

Post by orvet »

The 93OT and the 98OT were only made with Schrade + steel. Schrade+ steel is Schrade's proprietary version of 440C stainless steel.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
bladecollectorr

Post by bladecollectorr »

orvet wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:24 pm The 93OT and the 98OT were only made with Schrade + steel. Schrade+ steel is Schrade's proprietary version of 440C stainless steel.
...but, the 1995 edition COPE33 was 1095 carbon.

COPE33 - Black Sawcut Delrin handle, brass bolsters, special scalloped high carbon sheepfoot blade with can opening tip, "Copenhagen Snuff" etched high carbon clip blade, antiqued brass copenhagen shield, Schrade/Cope USA tangstamp COPE33, Ship Start Jan. 1995 - 100,000 pcs.

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=23377&p=201090&hilit=ust#p201090
I don't always respond to great posts but I always appreciate seeing them. Thanks for posting! ::tu::
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

bladecollectorr wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:48 am
orvet wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:24 pm The 93OT and the 98OT were only made with Schrade + steel. Schrade+ steel is Schrade's proprietary version of 440C stainless steel.

COPE33 - Black Sawcut Delrin handle, brass bolsters, special scalloped high carbon sheepfoot blade with can opening tip, "Copenhagen Snuff" etched high carbon clip blade, antiqued brass copenhagen shield, Schrade/Cope USA tangstamp COPE33, Ship Start Jan. 1995 - 100,000 pcs.

I have no reason to disbelieve you but I don't know how to tell on these latter-day Schrades. In the advertising, 'high carbon' meant nothing more than a steel knife blade, and rightly so, as stainless steel blades are indeed high carbon. We know that they switched the formerly non-stainless steel supply without telling anyone and without adding a 'plus' sign to the tang stamp in many cases. I have one of these Cope jacks myself, mint and I did have it for sale with no takers. I always wonder about the steel, myself. Dale has used a Birchwood Casey pen of some sort to tell the difference but I have not tried that. Anyway, these little jacks are really nice knives.
bladecollectorr

Post by bladecollectorr »

tongueriver wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:12 am
bladecollectorr wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:48 am

I have no reason to disbelieve you but I don't know how to tell on these latter-day Schrades. In the advertising, 'high carbon' meant nothing more than a steel knife blade, and rightly so, as stainless steel blades are indeed high carbon. We know that they switched the formerly non-stainless steel supply without telling anyone and without adding a 'plus' sign to the tang stamp in many cases. I have one of these Cope jacks myself, mint and I did have it for sale with no takers. I always wonder about the steel, myself. Dale has used a Birchwood Casey pen of some sort to tell the difference but I have not tried that. Anyway, these little jacks are really nice knives.
I agree that Schrade took some liberties when describing blade steel. The stainless steel 'high carbon" Big Timer comes to mind.

I personally thought I saw patina/staining on the knife in question inconsistent with a Schrade+ knife which is why I looked it up.

Here's a couple other examples I found online.
COPE33 w patina.jpg
schrade-copenhagen-knife.jpg
Trying to force a patina with mustard etc would be one way to arrive at a more definitive answer. I've had good results forcing patina using mustard before.
I don't always respond to great posts but I always appreciate seeing them. Thanks for posting! ::tu::

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”