Craftsman Knives

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Craftsman Knives

Post by Ripster »

kootenay joe wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:55 pm Here is a 3 1/8" Junior Stock knife. The tang is marked "Craftsman/U.S.A." The handles are a pre-Delrin synthetic. I think this knife is from late 1940's-'50's.
Nice pattern with long pull and swage on the clip blade and an ease-out notch on the back side to easily access nick on the spey blade.
kj
Morning Sir, the jr stock is in great shape as well, you have some nice cutlery there Sir!
If you decide to sell either of these the Dunlap or this one ,please let me know!
You take care up there and stay warm ::tu::
JP
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Not sure if i have shown these before.
3 5/8" "High Carbon/Steel/U.S.A." "Craftsman/Sta-Sharp/Chrome Plated" "9548"
The P.A.L. engraved into top bolster is for an organization, "Police ? ?" ? someone once told me what it stands for but i have forgotten.
Camp shield. Made by Camillus. With this oldest style of can opener it is likely from late 1920's or early 1930's.
kj
Attachments
IMGP0557.JPG
IMGP0558.JPG
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is another Craftsman 4 blade Utility. This one is 9533 and tang is marked "Ulster/Knife/CO." Blade etch is "Craftsman/Hammer Forged 9533". Also has the old style can opener. Likely from 1930's.
kj
Attachments
IMGP0560.JPG
IMGP0561.JPG
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

kootenay joe wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:40 pm Not sure if i have shown these before.
3 5/8" "High Carbon/Steel/U.S.A." "Craftsman/Sta-Sharp/Chrome Plated" "9548"
The P.A.L. engraved into top bolster is for an organization, "Police ? ?" ? someone once told me what it stands for but i have forgotten.
Camp shield. Made by Camillus. With this oldest style of can opener it is likely from late 1920's or early 1930's.
kj
Another beautiful piece of Cutlery ::tu::
The Etch on that old Craftsman is in good condition,thank you for showing that one ! Don’t believe have seen that one
JP
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I picked this one up, just arrived today. Courtesy of Steve's store and the luck of the dice roll with USPS. I was beginning to think it was a lost package. ::mdm::

I turned the bail around, seemed more logical to have the spring resting against my pants as opposed to the blade splines.
Attachments
IMG_20210208_200238423.jpg
IMG_20210208_200016091.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

1967redrider wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:28 am I picked this one up, just arrived today. Courtesy of Steve's store and the luck of the dice roll with USPS. I was beginning to think it was a lost package. ::mdm::
Very nice , looks to be in great shape! Nice Etch . Nice bail ! Got one like that ,did you see the article ,patent papers Eric posted about the patent to Baer ?
Thanks for posting
JP
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Ripster wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:32 am
1967redrider wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:28 am I picked this one up, just arrived today. Courtesy of Steve's store and the luck of the dice roll with USPS. I was beginning to think it was a lost package. ::mdm::
Very nice , looks to be in great shape! Nice Etch . Nice bail ! Got one like that ,did you see the article ,patent papers Eric posted about the patent to Baer ?
Thanks for posting

I thought I had seen Eric's post, but now I forget where. Thanks, Ripster. ::handshake::

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

1967redrider wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:49 am
Thanks for posting

I thought I had seen Eric's post, but now I forget where. Thanks, Ripster. ::handshake::
Think it was in the for sale ,when I bought one like yours from Roland,we got into a conversation and Eric posted it . So maybe can find it and go from there, I would like to save it for reference, and maybe get it over here in the Craftsman Section . If your interested, will see what happens . ::tu::
JP
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:20 pm Here are a couple of Craftsman utility patterns from my pile. Posted previously in the “All scout knives” thread but they should be here also.

Ken
That’s the first one with that bail I’ve seen dressed like that !
Thanks Ken
JP
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Ripster wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:00 am

Thanks for posting

Think it was in the for sale ,when I bought one like yours from Roland,we got into a conversation and Eric posted it . So maybe can find it and go from there, I would like to save it for reference, and maybe get it over here in the Craftsman Section . If your interested, will see what happens . ::tu::

I'd love be to see that info. ::nod:: ::tu::

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I turned the bail around, seemed more logical to have the spring resting against my pants as opposed to the blade splines.
Hate to break it to you John but it should be like it was before you changed it. It’s meant to be slid up behind the belt, hooked over the top, and pulled down into place. That way you’re not as likely to rub against something and knock it off. And it sits as you describe you want it to, with the spine against your pants. Here’s an older thread from Eric (ea42) that explains it viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12874&p=124396&hil ... an#p124396

Ken
Attachments
FABAFC6C-4599-48AE-ABE6-796880F9B2BB.jpeg
FABAFC6C-4599-48AE-ABE6-796880F9B2BB.jpeg (39.77 KiB) Viewed 2481 times
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

1967redrider wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:20 am

Found it , if you look on Dec. 4 2020 knives for sale thread. Under 4 Craftsman for sale by KJ (Roland) , part way down Eric posted it . Maybe can figure out how to save it here or ? ::tu::let me know if you know how we could save it , Thanks 67 Redrider, I’m not very tech savvy
JP
JP
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:26 am

Hate to break it to you John but it should be like it was before you changed it. It’s meant to be slid up behind the belt, hooked over the top, and pulled down into place. That way you’re not as likely to rub against something and knock it off. And it sits as you describe you want it to, with the spine against your pants. Here’s an older thread from Eric (ea42) that explains it viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12874&p=124396&hil ... an#p124396

Ken

Makes sense, Ken, I switched it back. 😉👍
Attachments
16128383748111557859644833965003.jpg

1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Ripster wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:30 am

Found it , if you look on Dec. 4 2020 knives for sale thread. Under 4 Craftsman for sale by KJ (Roland) , part way down Eric posted it . Maybe can figure out how to save it here or ? ::tu::let me know if you know how we could save it , Thanks 67 Redrider, I’m not very tech savvy
JP

Here's the link, JP, it matches up with Ken's picture.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=69073&p=872664&hil ... le#p872664

*Edit- Ken posted the link too.

Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

1967redrider wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:45 am
Ripster wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:30 am
JP

Here's the link, JP, it matches up with Ken's picture.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=69073&p=872664&hil ... le#p872664

😉👍
[/quote]
saw Ken posted , that worked out well , thanks guys .
JP
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Obviously that design was made for the slim and trim physique! Someone with a spare tire or muffin top hanging over the belt might have a little difficulty. ::dang::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

black mamba wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:25 pm For anyone who likes the 165OT or 165UH, or any other nice trailing point, this is a pretty cool knife. Craftsman Heavy Skinner from the 1970s.

CraftsmanHeavySkinnerMark.jpg
CraftsmanHeavySkinnerPile.jpg
That is a cool trailing point ::tu::
Is that sheath original?
Thank you
JP
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Added another one to the Craftsman Family. Was out and about yesterday and stopped at a couple Antique / Consignment shops. Found this one A Craftsman 9540 Barlow. Delrin handles have a little wear, and the pile side has some spots of some kind of adhesive. The blades still have the original factory grind finish and luster, but it did have some rust on the blades in places. The blades look full, with little wear or sharpening abuse. They have great snap, but the primary clip blade does have a very slight side to side wobble. I gave it the spa treatment, carbon / eraser rub on rust spots and went over the blades with some Flitz. I think it turned out well and will make a good Craftsman EDC rotation.
Craftsman 9540 Barlow_a.png
Craftsman 9540 Barlow_b.png
Craftsman 9540 Barlow_c.png
Craftsman 9540 Barlow_d.png
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Man... you did great on that Barlow!

That joker looks like new!

Congrats on the find!!
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Papa Bones wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:08 pm Added.....
FINE l@@king BARLOW Smitty. ::tu:: ::tu::
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Meridian_Mike wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:35 pm Man... you did great on that Barlow!

That joker looks like new!

Congrats on the find!!
Thanks Mike!

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:29 pm
Papa Bones wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:08 pm Added.....
FINE l@@king BARLOW Smitty. ::tu:: ::tu::
Appreciate it Skip!

Smitty
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Papa Bones wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:08 pm Added another one to the Craftsman Family. Was out and about yesterday and stopped at a couple Antique / Consignment shops. Found this one A Craftsman 9540 Barlow. Delrin handles have a little wear, and the pile side has some spots of some kind of adhesive. The blades still have the original factory grind finish and luster, but it did have some rust on the blades in places. The blades look full, with little wear or sharpening abuse. They have great snap, but the primary clip blade does have a very slight side to side wobble. I gave it the spa treatment, carbon / eraser rub on rust spots and went over the blades with some Flitz. I think it turned out well and will make a good Craftsman EDC rotation.

Craftsman 9540 Barlow_a.png
Craftsman 9540 Barlow_b.png
Craftsman 9540 Barlow_c.png
Craftsman 9540 Barlow_d.png
Nice one Smitty ::tu::
The spa treatment,that’s a good one .
Take care .
JP
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Ripster wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:04 am
Nice one Smitty ::tu::
The spa treatment,that’s a good one .
Take care .
Thanks JP!

Smitty
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Afternoon, received these 2 Craftsman yesterday. The Ulster is post WW2 believe it’s in great shape and no cracks in the bone anywhere.
The 9472 is like new ,Craftsman tang stamp, and nice bone ,it’s a snappy piece. They both fit in with my growing Craftsman knife group.
Thanks for taking a look and have a good one
Attachments
B11FC8BC-E02B-4F6E-97E7-F21A09493D43.jpeg
FA2F0C4B-C31F-4C40-BDAF-AEFDD56A3F8A.jpeg
JP
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Oh yes!!

Nice group of Crafts MEN!

::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne