Imperials

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
bladecollectorr

Re: Imperials

Post by bladecollectorr »

Did someone say "ear spoon"? I had to ask too.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/for ... f.1659896/
I don't always respond to great posts but I always appreciate seeing them. Thanks for posting! ::tu::
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

bladecollectorr wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:25 pmI had to ask too.
You came up with the same guess for what it was :lol:
- Jason
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

I have an update on the spear shaped tool on the World's Fair knife I posted earlier. Turns out it's actually a can opener! Mike Little told me it was and explained how it works, and now I can testify that it's just a terrible design. I'm sure they changed it after a few customers complained about severed digits. Here's how it worked out for me:
can1.jpg
can2.jpg
To pierce the can you hold the knife vertical with the point on the lid. With your other hand you smack the top of the knife straight down and after a few awkward slaps I mastered the motion. Then you ratchet the blade upward going counter clockwise and the cutout can go over the edge of the can but the lip gets in the way. During the course of trying to figure this out I also came up with a listing from the 1937 Imperial Catalog (COSRUS) that shows the knife with the tool and labels it a can opener.
JM-37catcut.jpg
- Jason
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

impglass.jpg
- Jason
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Very nice, interesting knives everyone. ::tu::
Jason, how long did it take to open that can of potatoes?
Here are a couple of my Imperials. A single blade jack knife with a GM key blank and a BARLOW.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Nice one, Jason, to stray away from the finger -- oops -- I mean can opener and show one with a nice glass cutter. :mrgreen:
Joe
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:35 pm Very nice, interesting knives everyone. ::tu::
Jason, how long did it take to open that can of potatoes?
Here are a couple of my Imperials. A single blade jack knife with a GM key blank and a BARLOW.
I wonder how many people actually used those keys to start their cars, and why weren't there 2 keys -1 for the door and 1 for the ignition? ::shrug::
It took me a few minutes to open the can - maybe 5. That includes stabbing at the lid a few times, nearly losing a pinky and then cutting in an awkward zig-zag pattern until I sort of figured things out. Once you're used to it I'm sure the whole affair is done in under half a minute.
BTW - love the license plate ::tu::

FRJ wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:40 pm Nice one, Jason, to stray away from the finger -- oops -- I mean can opener and show one with a nice glass cutter. :mrgreen:
I might have to test the glass cutter next, I'm feeling froggy today.. ::oh_my::
- Jason
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

The Field and Stream combo from the 50s/60s. It's got three knives - a camper, a fixed blade hunter and a toothpick; N-615, H-50 and N-943Y respectively.
fieldandstream.jpg
- Jason
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

jxr1197 wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:29 pm The Field and Stream combo from the 50s/60s. It's got three knives - a camper, a fixed blade hunter and a toothpick; N-615, H-50 and N-943Y respectively.
fieldandstream.jpg
Cool. I like that set.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The tool that jxr asks about at bottom of previous page is for pushing down the 'quick' at the base of your fingernails. My father who lived in Britain until he was about 40 was big on grooming of fingernails. "Quick" is the British term for the skin that can grow up from the base of a finger or toe nail. Don't know if the same word is used now for this tissue.
kj
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Here's a boys knife with chain.

IMG_0651_Original.JPG

As you all know these barlows are very common with a clip main but not so common with a spear.

IMG_1032_Original.JPG
IMG_1036_Original.JPG
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

kootenay joe wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:03 pm The tool that jxr asks about at bottom of previous page is for pushing down the 'quick' at the base of your fingernails. My father who lived in Britain until he was about 40 was big on grooming of fingernails. "Quick" is the British term for the skin that can grow up from the base of a finger or toe nail. Don't know if the same word is used now for this tissue.
kj
That's what we call it.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks doglegg. "Quick" just seems like an odd word for this 'tissue'.
The Barlow & Boys knife above are very nice. Many collectors dismiss Imperial knives as not worth collecting but they are historically quite significant. For many of us older gents, Imperial was the knife we could buy for ourselves when we were boys.
My understanding is that the blade steel and heat treatment was the same as that found in more expensive knives like Schrade and that this was so even before Albert Baer came to own both Imperial & Schrade. The lower price was because of cheaper handles.
kj
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

kootenay joe wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:03 pm"Quick" is the British term for the skin that can grow up from the base of a finger or toe nail.
'Cut to the quick' is an American expression (to hurt someone with words) and until just now I never thought about where it came from. Good to know.

Here's one that just showed up and is sure to offend someone :D ::tu:: . I wonder when the season kicks off... ::hmm::.
mh1.jpg
mh2.jpg
mh3.jpg
- Jason
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

My last mail call of 2019 is a pack of Imperial razor blades.
hbrazor1.jpg
hbrazor2.jpg
- Jason
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

That’s interesting Jason. I think Boker moved to Maplewood NJ in the 1920’s. The also owned a razor company somewhere in their history. I wonder if the Vulcan company had anything to do with Boker??
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

JAMESC41001 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:38 amThat’s interesting Jason. I think Boker moved to Maplewood NJ in the 1920’s. The also owned a razor company somewhere in their history. I wonder if the Vulcan company had anything to do with Boker??
I didn’t know that Boker was there too. I looked up Maplewood on the map and it’s a town the size of a postage stamp on the outskirts of Newark. I bet having Boker move in was quite the feather in their cap. Vulcan was a joint pet project of Imperial and Sears. I haven’t heard of any other companies being involved but the more you read about cutlery history, the more inbreeding you see so I wouldn’t be all that surprised if there turned out to be a Boker connection too.
- Jason
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

Here's an awesome/weird one from the sample room -
imperialfeelergauge.jpg
- Jason
bladecollectorr

Post by bladecollectorr »

jxr1197 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:39 pm Here's an awesome/weird one from the sample room -
imperialfeelergauge.jpg
Wow! Imperial feeler gauge! Makes me think valve clearances and spark plugs. So much cooler than the cheap set I got at the hardware store.
I don't always respond to great posts but I always appreciate seeing them. Thanks for posting! ::tu::
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

jxr1197 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:39 pm Here's an awesome/weird one from the sample room
Wow! That's gotta be pretty rare ..
8)
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

royal0014 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:30 am Wow! That's gotta be pretty rare ..
I was guessing it's probably the only one, but maybe they made a few prototypes - who knows? It's a handmade mock up that came from Imperial's factory sample room. Where the gauges are they removed the spring and tacked in a couple of brass tabs to provide a stopping point for the out-of-order feeler blades.
imperialfeelergaugeinside.jpg
imperialfeelergaugeclosed.jpg
- Jason
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

What an amazing Imperial artifact.
I'm glad it's on AAPK.
Joe
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

FRJ wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:21 pm What an amazing Imperial artifact.
I'm glad it's on AAPK.
Thanks - I think it's pretty cool too. ::tu::

Here's another refugee from the sample room. I'm not sure if this pattern made it to production or not. I've never seen one before - a non-locking TL29 in a cigar jack frame. Kinda weird..
cigarjacktl29.jpg
- Jason
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I was rummaging thru a $1 an item box at the local fleamarket today and found this nice 3" Imperial stainless steel jack. The celluloid is still real nice with great color. Probably the oldest stainless steel knife I own. One tangstamp chart I have says this is from the late 1920s? Can that be right?
IMG_3457.JPG
IMG_3458.JPG
IMG_3459.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

I wasn't sure where this one fits in but Imperial seems about right. This is the first and only Ulster tool kit I've come across. The Imperials are all shells so it's kind of interesting to see one dressed in slabs of MOTS. The sheepfoot is standard fare for a lot of the Imperials and the tools are directly from the Imperial parts bin.
ulstertoolkit.jpg
- Jason

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”