Let's see that ephemera!

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
bladecollectorr

Re: Let's see that ephemera!

Post by bladecollectorr »

Old Timer keychain from 1986 Schrade Almanac order-form. It's a nice 3D raised style.
01.jpg
02.jpg

Schrade Knives playing cards. I need a second deck to use because I'm not inclined to open the virgin package.
01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
I don't always respond to great posts but I always appreciate seeing them. Thanks for posting! ::tu::
bladecollectorr

jxr1197 wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:43 am Here's a couple of clothing items. The jacket was a last place prize in a Schrade contest in 1984. The flyer said they would give out 200 of them. The T shirt came from a second hand shop in the Hudson Valley. I don't know if they were sold or maybe handed out to employees? It would have been roughly the same period as the jacket.
I think the jacket was still being sold a couple years after the contest as seen in the1986 Schrade Almanac. Last page $12USD (also shown on first page).
http://www.collectors-of-schrades-r.us/ ... manacs.pdf

1984 contest links;
http://collectors-of-schrades-r.us/FLYE ... 84-C-0.htm
http://collectors-of-schrades-r.us/FLYE ... 84-C-1.htm
http://collectors-of-schrades-r.us/FLYE ... 84-C-2.htm

If anyone posts a pic of that 1st Prize 1985 Old Timer Dodge Ramcharger currently in their driveway my jaw will likely drop right off.
I don't always respond to great posts but I always appreciate seeing them. Thanks for posting! ::tu::
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

bladecollectorr wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:00 amOld Timer keychain from 1986 Schrade Almanac order-form. It's a nice 3D raised style.
I have one of those and did not know about the 1986 Almanac reference - excellent. ::tu::
You're posting some great stuff here but that dealer binder is all I'm focusing on. What a great piece!

Here's another random bit of awesomeness - a money clip made out of the side of a 1983(?) Heritage barlow.
moneyclip.JPG
- Jason
semroc

Post by semroc »

Wow! Great stuff. Thanks for posting. Really like tha Harry Gant promo at Talladega.
It's important not to think too much about what you do. Lee Marvin
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

Despite the ugly rumors it turns out I have NOT lost my marbles...
marbles.jpg
- Jason
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Amazing stuff, that money clip is a new one on me! Bladecollector you've got an amazing collection!

Here's an old letterhead from Schrade Cut Co;
Schrade Cutlery Co Invoice (2).jpg
All the bosses at the 1997 20yr dinner:
Schrade 1997 20yr Dinner086.jpg
I have no idea why the above picture comes out sideways. It's correct in the file and comes out right if you click on it. Strange ::hmm::
Not sure who the gent is on the far left, but next is Joe Hufnagel, Wally Gardiner behind him, Dave Swinden in the blue suit, not sure who the next guy is, last is Jim Economos.

Eric
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

The subject matter of that letter is killer. I've got that letterhead dated 1930 and it's correspondence to Lamson credit checking a new buyer. I also have Lamson's response saying the customer was a slow payer but a solid risk for up to $200.

Here's a pic of Schrade's future Ellenville home. The post mark is 1915.
upc1.jpg
upc2.jpg
- Jason
bladecollectorr

Great stuff folks! Thanks for taking the time to post it and for the kind words regarding my collection.

Next up is a stamped and enameled 8" x 10" metal sign duplicating the artwork on the 1996 "Schrade Scrimshaw of the Great American Outdoors" collection. These were included with the full-set counter display. 1996 was the only year these signs were included.
1996 Schrade Scrimshaw sign.jpg
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

bladecollectorr wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:00 am Old Timer keychain from 1986 Schrade Almanac order-form. It's a nice 3D raised style.
01.jpg02.jpg

Schrade Knives playing cards. I need a second deck to use because I'm not inclined to open the virgin package.

01.jpg02.jpg03.jpg
I have these 3 decks, but I had to open them to see what they looked like.
Attachments
20191103_135434.jpg
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

I haven't seen one of those scrim signs in a while - good one ::tu::. The playing cards are another one I haven't gotten my hand on.

Here's a throwback patch that makes me nostalgic for my old denim jacket...
patch1.jpg
patch2.jpg
- Jason
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

1978/79 Dealer paraphernalia - dual promotion folder, filled with flyers for both :D
D1.jpg
D5.jpg
D2.jpg
D3.jpg
D4.jpg
- Jason
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

A recent pick up - another one of George's inventions.
drill gauge.jpg
- Jason
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

Added this week
cutcobox.jpg
- Jason
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

These pins were given to employees at Schrade after a certain number of years with the company. This particular pin was made between 1997-2004.
employeepin.jpg
pin1.jpg
pin3.jpg
-
It's a tiny little thing:
pin5.jpg
- Jason
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

I recently picked up this large (22"x17") poster that was seemingly printed as a sales tool for jobbers. That image was used from the 30s thru the 50s (maybe 60s?) but based on the price I'm thinking this has to be way down on the early side.
Attachments
jmposter.jpg
- Jason
bladecollectorr

December 1946 issue of Fortune magazine. Condition is "excellent - not read- crisp- top has and area of wear on the cover"

This is the edition with the ad for the Schrade Walden "Fortune Knife" which was a $125.00 MSRP, 14K gold, 3-blade sleeveboard lobster.
Dec 1946 01.jpg
Dec 1946 02.jpg
Dec 1946 03.jpg
Dec 1946 04.jpg
Dec 1946 05.jpg
Dec 1946 06.jpg
Dec 1946 07.jpg
SW-1946 x1200w.jpg
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

1930's/1940's dealer poster. Imperial used that same image for close to 3 decades but the price makes me think it's an older one.
dealerposter.jpg
- Jason
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

jxr1197 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 6:16 pm 1930's/1940's dealer poster. Imperial used that same image for close to 3 decades but the price makes me think it's an older one.
Jason, here is a page of some JACK-MASTER displays from a 1953 catalog. Only one display has the price on it, upper left corner and it shows it as 50 cents. Unless it was just that particular style of knife that was 50 cents.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
LRV

Post by LRV »

“A knife in a man’s hand is as precious as a diamond necklace on a woman’s neck” - Michael Mirando I.S.C.
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

LRV wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 6:36 pm Some from Imperial 1936 catalog.
http://www.collectors-of-schrades-r.us/ ... Hammer.pdf
I didn't notice it before, but in your '36 catalog on page 60 is the same poster actually printed with the 25 cent price. Thanks ::tu::

As long as I'm here I'll add this fancy envelope - coincidentally also from 1936.
envelope1936.JPG
- Jason
LRV

Post by LRV »

It was a very good year :D
“A knife in a man’s hand is as precious as a diamond necklace on a woman’s neck” - Michael Mirando I.S.C.
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

I guess you could consider this ephemera. Here you go.............

I bought the postcard (last 2 pictures) last night. I bought the 5 item lot this morning. Here's the description (seller's) of the lot.

"The listing you are viewing is for Four (4) Vehicle Lot of Vintage NASCAR Die-cast Cars with Racing Truck including: 1/96 Skoal Racing Car Transporter (with Display case and Original box), 1/25 #7 Harry Gant Chevy Lumina, 1/43 #33 Hary Gant Skoal Chevy Lumina, Harry Gant #33 Pen Knife (New On Card) and 1/23 Hary Gant Skoal Chevy Lumina."

Besides the Case pocket knife, which is NOT why I bought the lot, the connection between this lot and pocket knives is that SCHRADE is one of the #33's sponsors. I don't know how long the sponsorship lasted. You can see the OLD TIMER w/knife "decal" on both sides of one of the cars (sorry about the pictures, not mine). You can see it much clearer in the postcard pictures. The postcard, from the 1992 Winston Cup Series, shows Harry Gant posing with his car at the Talladega Track in Alabama. The car in the postcard is different from the scale car. Luckily, I'm a NASCAR fan so this was a win-win deal for me.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (23.73 KiB) Viewed 4049 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (27.48 KiB) Viewed 4049 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (42.86 KiB) Viewed 4049 times

Skip
bladecollectorr

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:30 pm I guess you could consider this ephemera. Here you go.............

I bought the postcard (last 2 pictures) last night...

Besides the Case pocket knife, which is NOT why I bought the lot, the connection between this lot and pocket knives is that SCHRADE is one of the #33's sponsors. I don't know how long the sponsorship lasted. You can see the OLD TIMER w/knife "decal" on both sides of one of the cars (sorry about the pictures, not mine). You can see it much clearer in the postcard pictures. The postcard, from the 1992 Winston Cup Series, shows Harry Gant posing with his car at the Talladega Track in Alabama. The car in the postcard is different from the scale car. Luckily, I'm a NASCAR fan so this was a win-win deal for me.
That's only the 2nd of these I've seen. I posted mine earlier in this same thread: viewtopic.php?f=64&t=64301&p=769340&hilit=gant#p769340 It shows what's on the back. It's not a post-card. It's a two-sided semi-gloss promo pic.

The Gant/Schrade connection started in the late '80s and continued through to "The Bandit's Last Ride" in 1994.

Mine goes on display when these knives come out to play.
with bling.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg
01.jpg
01a cropped rotated.jpg
02a rotated cropped.jpg
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

bladecollectorr wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:49 pm
New_Windsor_NY wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:30 pm I guess you could consider this ephemera. Here you go.............

I bought the postcard (last 2 pictures) last night...

That's only the 2nd of these I've seen. I posted mine earlier in this same thread: viewtopic.php?f=64&t=64301&p=769340&hilit=gant#p769340 It shows what's on the back. It's not a post-card. It's a two-sided semi-gloss promo pic.

The Gant/Schrade connection started in the late '80s and continued through to "The Bandit's Last Ride" in 1994.

Mine goes on display when these knives come out to play.

Thank you for the information. ::tu:: Great looking items! ::tu:: Now I've got to find the SCHRADE #33 knife. The seller called the picture a postcard, which would've been fine, but a promo picture is even better. ::tu::

Skip
bladecollectorr

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:08 pm Thank you for the information. ::tu:: Great looking items! ::tu:: Now I've got to find the SCHRADE #33 knife. The seller called the picture a postcard, which would've been fine, but a promo picture is even better. ::tu::
Enjoy! There are about 8 (? going by memory) Schrade/Gant knives. I think there are the only 4 LB7-types. I haven't been able to nail-down production name and numbers for the micarta scrimshaw knife.

HG7LTD - Harry Gant LB-7 pattern, Special gold filled etch, LTD. tang stamp, brass bolsters, antiqued coined N/S shield, Oak box with glazed tile lid, Ship 9/15/92 - 200 pcs.

HG93LTD - LB-7 w/ green fibron handles, serialized N.S. bolsters, coined N.S. handle shield, gold blade etch "Mr. September 1991", tile box, Ship July 1993 - 500 pcs.

HGLTD94 - LB-7 pattern, ""The Bandit's Last Ride"" gold filled etch, LTD. tang stamp, serialized N/S bolsters, green Fibron handle, coined N/S shield, laser engraved cherry box, Ship 6/30/94 - 200 pcs.

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”