Y'all got any MODIFIED Schrades (& Old Timers...)

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
Meridian_Mike

Re: Y'all got any MODIFIED Schrades (& Old Timers...)

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Doug..... You have some beautiful knives and you also have a beautiful way of displaying them too.

Good show!!

::tu:: ::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Meridian_Mike wrote:
jxr1197 wrote:Here's a blinged out 2OT and a 2203 that's been reborn as a harness jack.
oh wow Jason... Those 2 are just completely amazing and beautiful knives.

We need a "jaw drop" smilie ... My jaw is on the floor.

::nod:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Do any of these suit your fancy? If so, we can ask Bryan if he will add them. No guarantees but it never hurts to ask.
Attachments
-jaw-drop - resized.jpg
-jaw-drop - resized.jpg (5.9 KiB) Viewed 2870 times
scared-emoticon-with-a-dropped-jaw-resized.jpg
scared-emoticon-with-a-dropped-jaw-resized.jpg (3.04 KiB) Viewed 2870 times
Surprised Emoji - resized.jpg
Surprised Emoji - resized.jpg (2.28 KiB) Viewed 2870 times
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

jerryd6818 wrote: Do any of these suit your fancy? If so, we can ask Bryan if he will add them. No guarantees but it never hurts to ask.
LOL... that first one is definitely ME when I saw the 2 OT above...

Maybe if you ask.... real NICE....????.... LOL

:D
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Meridian_Mike wrote:
jerryd6818 wrote: Do any of these suit your fancy? If so, we can ask Bryan if he will add them. No guarantees but it never hurts to ask.
LOL... that first one is definitely ME when I saw the 2 OT above...

Maybe if you ask.... real NICE....????.... LOL

:D
I asked. We'll see.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
jxr1197
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jxr1197 »

Meridian_Mike wrote:oh wow Jason... Those 2 are just completely amazing and beautiful knives.

We need a "jaw drop" smilie ... My jaw is on the floor.

::nod:: ::tu:: ::tu::
That 2OT was the first knife I decided to get modded and it wasn't all that long ago. I bought it probably 10 years ago, maybe more - I don't remember exactly. It was a basket case that I nabbed for a few bucks and then it lived in a drawer for a good long time. A few years ago I started getting back into collecting - one of the perks of getting divorced I suppose. Then I remembered the old 2OT in the drawer and sent it to Muskrat Man for 2 new blades and some filework. It came back to me 100 times better than I had imagined. I was worried about the milled liners getting messed up and whether I would like the new look. I definitely wasn't disappointed! The 2203 also happens to be a MM mod. The pen blade was snapped and he had a Schrade punch in hand ready to go.

Here's a before pic on that 2OT
2OTbefore.jpg
2OTbefore.jpg (16.36 KiB) Viewed 2860 times
- Jason
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

jxr1197 wrote:
That 2OT was the first knife I decided to get modded and it wasn't all that long ago. I bought it probably 10 years ago, maybe more - I don't remember exactly. It was a basket case that I nabbed for a few bucks and then it lived in a drawer for a good long time. A few years ago I started getting back into collecting - one of the perks of getting divorced I suppose. Then I remembered the old 2OT in the drawer and sent it to Muskrat Man for 2 new blades and some filework. It came back to me 100 times better than I had imagined. I was worried about the milled liners getting messed up and whether I would like the new look. I definitely wasn't disappointed! The 2203 also happens to be a MM mod. The pen blade was snapped and he had a Schrade punch in hand ready to go.

Here's a before pic on that 2OT
2OTbefore.jpg
You are killing me Jason....
I have been looking for a 2OT or one of its Schrade kin for a while now. I want a basket case so I can do a restoration on it.

The 2 you show above are KILLERS!!
Real works of art.

::tu::
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I love 2OT rescues!
Jason, that Washington Harness Jack is off the rails!

Several years ago Keith (Ozzie & Marie) sent me a 2OT and said, “I just thought you should have this.” He knew I didn’t own a 2OT. I put it up about my workbench and there it sat for several years until two or three years ago I started looking at it and trying to figure out what I could make of it.
People who are knife mechanics tend to be collectors of broken knives but they are also collectors of knife parts. So when I see some blades on eBay that are purportedly from Schrade Cut Co. and I could knives a couple of blades that I knew were for certain Schrade Cut Co. I bought them. They were rusted and pitted so I clean them off and put them in a plastic bottle and poured in some Eezox. I actually had the blades longer than I had the 2OT but it wasn’t until I started looking at the blades one day and realized that one of them would fit the 2OT perfectly. It was on stamped, but it would fit as if it was made for it.

The rest is knife restoration history. Here are some before pictures and some after pictures. This is still one of my EDC knives.
This is the before picture: someone had worn the blades down and replace the bone handles with wood.
This is the before picture: someone had worn the blades down and replace the bone handles with wood.
This is all the pieces
This is all the pieces
This is what was left of the old blade compared to the unstamped Schrade Cut Co. blade
This is what was left of the old blade compared to the unstamped Schrade Cut Co. blade
With a little TLC and a set of Culpepper’s Goldenroot RJB bone handles, it started to look respectable again. ::nod::
2OT D.jpg
2OT B.jpg
2OT C.jpg
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

“In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” - George Orwell
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

What a great turn around. Love those old bones. ::nod::
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

That's a dandy 2OT, Dale!

I almost forgot I had this Herman Williams 804.

hw804-2.jpg
hw804-3.jpg
hw804-1.jpg
jxr1197
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jxr1197 »

orvet wrote:I love 2OT rescues!
^^YES - THAT! Because #allknivesmatter

The bone on that 2OT rehab was a great choice. I saw another one of your 2OT customs - actually just a picture of it, when I was BS'ing about knives with another collector. You'll remember this one, it was kind of unique. It was a modded TL29 where you deleted the screwdriver and then carved a rat tail, two threads and a pinch into the front bolsters and made a Washington Jack out of the dang thing! Now THAT"S a knife you should include in this thread ::tu::

Here's a different pattern that I like a lot - the Ulster 50. When I gave up on the dream of finding a 50OT I decided the next best thing was to clone one (or two.) I sent a couple of ratty 50s to Eric Albers and got back two really cool knives. The delrin handle was swapped off a 58OT and really looks the part. The redbone with the coined shield is just straight eye candy and in the second pic you can see just how easily it blends in with that special group of redbones from the 80s.
50timers.jpg
threeplusone.jpg
- Jason
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

A few Sharpfingers
152 1983 RED HERITAGE SHARPFINGER.JPG
152 in BLUE JIG BONE (1).jpg
152 LTD RAM'S HORN.JPG
152 SHARPFINGER RED RAFFIR MESH (1).jpg
152 with JADE BONE (2).JPG
DW 152 - 156 001.JPG
152 LTD JIGGED BONE.JPG
152 LTD SCHRADE SHIELD.JPG
152 NO SHIELD.JPG
Attachments
152 AUTUMN GOLD (2).JPG
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

jxr1197 wrote:
orvet wrote:I love 2OT rescues!
^^YES - THAT! Because #allknivesmatter

The bone on that 2OT rehab was a great choice. I saw another one of your 2OT customs - actually just a picture of it, when I was BS'ing about knives with another collector. You'll remember this one, it was kind of unique. It was a modded TL29 where you deleted the screwdriver and then carved a rat tail, two threads and a pinch into the front bolsters and made a Washington Jack out of the dang thing! Now THAT"S a knife you should include in this thread ::tu::
001.jpg
003.jpg
004.jpg
005.jpg
009.jpg
023.jpg
025.jpg

As you can see the knife was a Ulster not a Schrade I guess technically there is a difference, practically, they were made on the same machines were same workers after 1958 when both companies were consolidated in the Ulster factory.
I made this knife for my friend Tony Moat (Schradenut), in Australia about five years ago. Tony had a lot of input on the design of the knife, even sent me drawings of what he would like to see. Not something I am used to doing, but Tony was easy to work with in the whole project was a lot of fun.
I find that when I'm pushing the limits of my abilities it's a lot more fun and meaningful than putting in new blade in an 8OT.
I cannot find anyone here (in the US) who could do a deep engraving on the bolsters but Tony managed to find a guy in Australia and threatened him that if he messed up the engraving he would find his house full of kangaroos, or some such Aussie threat like that. :lol:
Seriously however, he did stressed to him how important it was that he not mess up the engraving... And the rest is history.

I haven't seen the knife since Tony had it engraved, the knife being in Australia and me being in the US, so because of that you have these great pictures from Tony rather than my usual pathetic pictures. Of all the knives I have customized, I think this knife is one of my personal favorites.

Is this the one you're talking about Jason? I think there was another one made out of a Schrade TL-29 but I don't think the bolsters were engraved on it. I'll see if I can find it.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

“In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” - George Orwell
jxr1197
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jxr1197 »

orvet wrote:Is this the one you're talking about Jason?
That's not the knife but man do I like that one A LOT! Tony hasn't shared any pics on this thread but I know he's got mountains of customized Schrades down there. I haven't seen many TL29s with those flat rear bolsters but they are just screaming out to be 'upgraded' to a Washington Jack. The one I was thinking of was a Schrade Walden and I dug back through old emails and found a couple of pics (the owner has told me he doesn't mind if his pics are shared on AAPK):
MVC-025S.JPG
MVC-026S.JPG
- Jason
jxr1197
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jxr1197 »

Here's a 641 dressed in MM's homemade Jeancarta:
side.jpg
back.jpg
- Jason
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

jxr1197 wrote: ^^YES - THAT! Because #allknivesmatter
LOL....
Now that IS a classic !!!

All KNIVES matter!!
I LOVE it!!!

::tu::
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

More beautiful knives!

Y'all are killing me with the 2 OTs and their kin....
All CLASSIC beauties!

::tu:: ::tu::

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”