Y'all got any MODIFIED Schrades (& Old Timers...)

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
KAW

Re: Y'all got any MODIFIED Schrades (& Old Timers...)

Post by KAW »

What a THREAD!... 5 pages in 5 days... AWESOME KNIVES!!! I haven't gone thru all of it yet... but since my time is limited I wanted to add my 2 cents worth...
Muskrats re-handled by Herman Williams...

the 787 has jigged bone handles...

the 77OT is saw cut bone (Real bone not delrin)... sorry the detail does not show up well in the photo...

Here's a grouping with their cousin... a Canal Street Cut.

...now to go back to chech as much as I can before having to go to work... ::sotb::
'til later....
Ken

10031 means.... never having a dull moment. 8)
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

My one and only Herman Williams.
Grant
Attachments
P1020557.JPG
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Well, maybe I should add a few more...
A Schrade Cut Co. Barlow with smooth bone
A Schrade Cut Co. Barlow with smooth bone
An SC524 with Koa wood handles and filed back spring
An SC524 with Koa wood handles and filed back spring
A better shot of the back spring
A better shot of the back spring
I did this 165OT in 2009 for Tongue River. It has Amber stag handles as I recall. Cal claims he still likes this knife.
I did this 165OT in 2009 for Tongue River. It has Amber stag handles as I recall. Cal claims he still likes this knife.
This is the pile side of the 165OT
This is the pile side of the 165OT
This is a 8OT with smooth ivory colored bone handles
This is a 8OT with smooth ivory colored bone handles
This is the file work on the back spring. It's an eagle, or a condor if you live in California. Not an easy pattern to file, though I have done a few of them. The older I get the more difficult they are to do.
This is the file work on the back spring. It's an eagle, or a condor if you live in California. Not an easy pattern to file, though I have done a few of them. The older I get the more difficult they are to do.
This is the two sides of a mini Sharpfinger. It is Firestorm Damascus 1095 carbon steel and 15N20l steel made by Grand Leavitt in Idaho.
This is the two sides of a mini Sharpfinger. It is Firestorm Damascus 1095 carbon steel and 15N20l steel made by Grand Leavitt in Idaho.
The handles on this knife are fossilized mammoth ivory held on by mosaic pins.
The handles on this knife are fossilized mammoth ivory held on by mosaic pins.
Pile side of a 6OT which was of course the prettiest. once I got it hafted. The handle is water Buffalo horn and fossilized ivory in the strip along the bolsters..
Pile side of a 6OT which was of course the prettiest. once I got it hafted. The handle is water Buffalo horn and fossilized ivory in the strip along the bolsters..
Attachments
This is the mark side, quite evident it was the first time I had inlaid a shield in horn... much different than bone.
This is the mark side, quite evident it was the first time I had inlaid a shield in horn... much different than bone.
This shot shows the red liners, I thought they set off the horn nicely.
This shot shows the red liners, I thought they set off the horn nicely.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

“In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” - George Orwell
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

WOW.... WOW..... WOW.....

Dale, that is some beautiful work on ALL those knives!! The eagle filed into that back spring is amazing.

And again.... I say.... WOW!!

::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Shearer wrote:My one and only Herman Williams.
Grant
Herman is an amazing craftsman.... His choice of scale material is great and his execution is amazing.

dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

a couple shots of my White Bone Collection by Herman the muskrats are the only pattern that's in there more than once.
WHITE BONE MUSKRATS.JPG
MIRROR.jpg
Attachments
GEDC3979.JPG
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

I'm gonna tell ya' what....

White bone done right is simply beautiful!
AND those are DONE RIGHT!!

Amazing work! All beauties!!

dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

Now, this isn't a Schrade but it is a Sharpfinger pattern that I got to work on with Herman when I visited him this spring. The scales are Factory Stag that were already drilled and had the shield. I've never a big fan of the lanyard hole so we filled it in with 2 different mosaic pins.
IMG_20190517_191154641.jpg
IMG_20190517_190933942.jpg
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

WOW.... what a beauty!
The hammer and anvil mosaic pin is COOL and meaningful....

doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

I continue to enjoy and be impressed with this thread. Wow!!! ::nod:: ::nod::
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I like the hammer & anvil mosaic pin, it is great!
I saw them at the OKCA show in April. I should have gotten some then.
That Sharpfinger looks great Doug! ::nod:: ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

“In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” - George Orwell
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

orvet wrote:I like the hammer & anvil mosaic pin, it is great!
I saw them at the OKCA show in April. I should have gotten some then.
That Sharpfinger looks great Doug! ::nod:: ::tu::

Jantz Supply has them...hard to find though...here's a link https://www.knifemaking.com/searchresul ... 200&page=1
jxr1197
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jxr1197 »

edge213 wrote: This one just about leaves me speechless!
One of the best looking handles I've ever seen.
Thanks ::tu::. I keep that knife on a stand next to my laptop so anytime I'm at my desk I can look over at it. I'm already planning a second one. I've got the knife picked out (different pattern this time) but haven't settled on the artwork yet.

It seems like I blinked and another couple hundred knives appeared in this thread. Don't know where to start - good show by all! That eagle is pretty slick and I can't decide whether the white bone collection or that SICK (not a Schrade) Sharpfinger is making me hate Doug more right about now :wink:. Fine customs right there and well displayed too.

I'll throw up a couple more here. I have a fondness for Washington Jacks and I buy the busted up ones as eagerly as the pretty ones. I like to send them off for mods I would never consider doing on an original knife that was in good shape. Here's a blinged out 2OT and a 2203 that's been reborn as a harness jack.
moddedjacks.jpg
- Jason
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

BURL & STAG FRAMED 5-13-18.jpg
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

jxr1197 wrote:Here's a blinged out 2OT and a 2203 that's been reborn as a harness jack.
oh wow Jason... Those 2 are just completely amazing and beautiful knives.

We need a "jaw drop" smilie ... My jaw is on the floor.

::nod:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Doug..... You have some beautiful knives and you also have a beautiful way of displaying them too.

Good show!!

::tu:: ::tu::
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Meridian_Mike wrote:
jxr1197 wrote:Here's a blinged out 2OT and a 2203 that's been reborn as a harness jack.
oh wow Jason... Those 2 are just completely amazing and beautiful knives.

Do any of these suit your fancy? If so, we can ask Bryan if he will add them. No guarantees but it never hurts to ask.
Attachments
-jaw-drop - resized.jpg
-jaw-drop - resized.jpg (5.9 KiB) Viewed 2871 times
scared-emoticon-with-a-dropped-jaw-resized.jpg
scared-emoticon-with-a-dropped-jaw-resized.jpg (3.04 KiB) Viewed 2871 times
Surprised Emoji - resized.jpg
Surprised Emoji - resized.jpg (2.28 KiB) Viewed 2871 times
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

jerryd6818 wrote: Do any of these suit your fancy? If so, we can ask Bryan if he will add them. No guarantees but it never hurts to ask.
LOL... that first one is definitely ME when I saw the 2 OT above...

Maybe if you ask.... real NICE....????.... LOL

:D
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Meridian_Mike wrote:
jerryd6818 wrote: Do any of these suit your fancy? If so, we can ask Bryan if he will add them. No guarantees but it never hurts to ask.
LOL... that first one is definitely ME when I saw the 2 OT above...

Maybe if you ask.... real NICE....????.... LOL

:D
I asked. We'll see.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
jxr1197
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jxr1197 »

Meridian_Mike wrote:oh wow Jason... Those 2 are just completely amazing and beautiful knives.

That 2OT was the first knife I decided to get modded and it wasn't all that long ago. I bought it probably 10 years ago, maybe more - I don't remember exactly. It was a basket case that I nabbed for a few bucks and then it lived in a drawer for a good long time. A few years ago I started getting back into collecting - one of the perks of getting divorced I suppose. Then I remembered the old 2OT in the drawer and sent it to Muskrat Man for 2 new blades and some filework. It came back to me 100 times better than I had imagined. I was worried about the milled liners getting messed up and whether I would like the new look. I definitely wasn't disappointed! The 2203 also happens to be a MM mod. The pen blade was snapped and he had a Schrade punch in hand ready to go.

Here's a before pic on that 2OT
2OTbefore.jpg
2OTbefore.jpg (16.36 KiB) Viewed 2861 times
- Jason
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

jxr1197 wrote:
That 2OT was the first knife I decided to get modded and it wasn't all that long ago. I bought it probably 10 years ago, maybe more - I don't remember exactly. It was a basket case that I nabbed for a few bucks and then it lived in a drawer for a good long time. A few years ago I started getting back into collecting - one of the perks of getting divorced I suppose. Then I remembered the old 2OT in the drawer and sent it to Muskrat Man for 2 new blades and some filework. It came back to me 100 times better than I had imagined. I was worried about the milled liners getting messed up and whether I would like the new look. I definitely wasn't disappointed! The 2203 also happens to be a MM mod. The pen blade was snapped and he had a Schrade punch in hand ready to go.

Here's a before pic on that 2OT
2OTbefore.jpg
You are killing me Jason....
I have been looking for a 2OT or one of its Schrade kin for a while now. I want a basket case so I can do a restoration on it.

The 2 you show above are KILLERS!!
Real works of art.

orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I love 2OT rescues!
Jason, that Washington Harness Jack is off the rails!

Several years ago Keith (Ozzie & Marie) sent me a 2OT and said, “I just thought you should have this.” He knew I didn’t own a 2OT. I put it up about my workbench and there it sat for several years until two or three years ago I started looking at it and trying to figure out what I could make of it.
People who are knife mechanics tend to be collectors of broken knives but they are also collectors of knife parts. So when I see some blades on eBay that are purportedly from Schrade Cut Co. and I could knives a couple of blades that I knew were for certain Schrade Cut Co. I bought them. They were rusted and pitted so I clean them off and put them in a plastic bottle and poured in some Eezox. I actually had the blades longer than I had the 2OT but it wasn’t until I started looking at the blades one day and realized that one of them would fit the 2OT perfectly. It was on stamped, but it would fit as if it was made for it.

The rest is knife restoration history. Here are some before pictures and some after pictures. This is still one of my EDC knives.
This is the before picture: someone had worn the blades down and replace the bone handles with wood.
This is the before picture: someone had worn the blades down and replace the bone handles with wood.
This is all the pieces
This is all the pieces
This is what was left of the old blade compared to the unstamped Schrade Cut Co. blade
This is what was left of the old blade compared to the unstamped Schrade Cut Co. blade
With a little TLC and a set of Culpepper’s Goldenroot RJB bone handles, it started to look respectable again. ::nod::
2OT D.jpg
2OT B.jpg
2OT C.jpg
Dale
AAPK Administrator

doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

What a great turn around. Love those old bones. ::nod::
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

That's a dandy 2OT, Dale!

I almost forgot I had this Herman Williams 804.

hw804-2.jpg
hw804-3.jpg
hw804-1.jpg
jxr1197
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jxr1197 »

orvet wrote:I love 2OT rescues!
^^YES - THAT! Because #allknivesmatter

The bone on that 2OT rehab was a great choice. I saw another one of your 2OT customs - actually just a picture of it, when I was BS'ing about knives with another collector. You'll remember this one, it was kind of unique. It was a modded TL29 where you deleted the screwdriver and then carved a rat tail, two threads and a pinch into the front bolsters and made a Washington Jack out of the dang thing! Now THAT"S a knife you should include in this thread ::tu::

Here's a different pattern that I like a lot - the Ulster 50. When I gave up on the dream of finding a 50OT I decided the next best thing was to clone one (or two.) I sent a couple of ratty 50s to Eric Albers and got back two really cool knives. The delrin handle was swapped off a 58OT and really looks the part. The redbone with the coined shield is just straight eye candy and in the second pic you can see just how easily it blends in with that special group of redbones from the 80s.
50timers.jpg
threeplusone.jpg
- Jason

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”