Can anyone tell me about this?

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
bhuber

Can anyone tell me about this?

Post by bhuber »

Sorry for the bad pic, it’s all I have and the only info I have to go by. It’s the Stag (or Delrin) with Schrade Walden shield.
Attachments
AAFD2D25-B70A-419F-9468-6E571B9951F4.jpeg
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Can anyone tell me about this?

Post by glennbad »

Looks like a Schrade Walden fish knife. I believe the handle material is not stag, but a version of their Staglon, a synthetic material.

I believe the blades in this are stainless.
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

I see it showing up in catalogs around 1972.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

All of the above is true; I think they were only made for a year give or take. I have seen them with that shield, with a blank shield, and one that says LUNKER. They are handsome knives.
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

Jumping in a little late. Your knife is a Schrade Walden 209 Fish Knife. My Information is they were only sold for 2 years in 1972 and 1973. To what toungueriver posted I will add that they also came with a shield with a fish stamped on it. Tang stamps differ too. It says STAINLESS USA on the SCHRADE WALDEN shield knife and tang stamped SCHRADE WALDEN NY USA STAINLESS on the one with a fish on the shield. Some came with a leather sheath. Some of the sheaths are stamped SCHRADE WALDEN and some were stamped SCHRADE. This was during the transition period when the company changed it's name. But both knives are stamped SCHRADE WALDEN on the shield or tang. It sold for $8.00. Not a great picture, but here are my two. Hard to see the fish shield in the glare. (the sheath in the pic is for a different knife)
Attachments
209 Fish Knifes.JPG

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”