Older Schrade Display #1

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Older Schrade Display #1

Post by knifeaholic »

At our show in Connecticut last weekend, I picked up two older Schrade displays with knives.

This one is an Old Timer display from the Schrade Walden era. All knives have the Schrade Walden stamp.

Based on the 165OT on the display panel, I have dated it to the period of 1967 to 1973.
Attachments
IMG_0944.JPG
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
tongueriver

Re: Older Schrade Display #1

Post by tongueriver »

Steve, can you get a serial number off the 165 OT? Very nice collectible display!
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

tongueriver wrote:Steve, can you get a serial number off the 165 OT? Very nice collectible display!
Where would the serial number be marked? The knives are wired on and I have not taken them off.

The front of the blade has a simple making: SCHRADE over WALDEN over 165OT. No "New York" or "USA".
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

The early 165s had a serial number on the 'left' tang. a VERY VERY FEW transitional knives had a serial number on the 'right' tang. Then there were no more serial numbers. Here is one that I purchased after years of negotiations with Michael Little, a rather rare one, first day of manufacture, probably let out to a salesman, #00009.
11t36yx.jpg
smd6oi.jpg
smd6oi.jpg (85.08 KiB) Viewed 2134 times
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

tongueriver wrote:The early 165s had a serial number on the 'left' tang. a VERY VERY FEW transitional knives had a serial number on the 'right' tang. Then there were no more serial numbers.
Thanks - when you say "left" and "right" are those both the front? Or would I have to look at the back tang?
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Also the Schrade-Walden 15OT might have "Pat. Pending" and a serial # on the back side tang. If so you can then get a fairly accurate date from work Michael Little did and posted on BF about 12 or more years ago.
Very nice display. In great condition for having carbon steel knives about 50 years old.
kj
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

When I say 'left' I mean when I point the knife away from me and ready to cut something, preferably bacon. The above post shows a serial number on what I would call the 'left' side of the knife.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Sometimes those displays have knives with different manufacturing dates. Sometimes legitimate (in your case I would think so) and sometimes not. The sheath for your 15OT is fairly early with the lacing. The basketweave sheaths were also early. When you see a sheath with a diagonal keeper strap for a 165OT you have an early 165OT. They very quickly went to a transverse or horizontal keeper strap.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

tongueriver wrote:Sometimes those displays have knives with different manufacturing dates. Sometimes legitimate (in your case I would think so) and sometimes not. The sheath for your 15OT is fairly early with the lacing. The basketweave sheaths were also early. When you see a sheath with a diagonal keeper strap for a 165OT you have an early 165OT. They very quickly went to a transverse or horizontal keeper strap.
Thanks! appreciate all of the info.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

kootenay joe wrote:Also the Schrade-Walden 15OT might have "Pat. Pending" and a serial # on the back side tang. If so you can then get a fairly accurate date from work Michael Little did and posted on BF about 12 or more years ago.
Very nice display. In great condition for having carbon steel knives about 50 years old.
kj
Thanks, good to know. I'll investigate it.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

WOW ! Calvin you likely have The Most collectible 165 in existence. Unless Eric has an even lower number 165.
Also check the inside liners on the folding knives. Some have serial numbers but i don't know if that was just for certain patterns like the 897UH.
kj
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Roland Cal's got me beat by a mile on that one! :shock: ::tu::

Awesome display Steve, you see very few of those around.

Eric
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Nice display Steve, I like it. ::tu::

Cal that is an impressive 165.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”