Schrade Cutlery Co. / Pearl Double, but with a diamond. Hoping for info!

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
gabatgh

Schrade Cutlery Co. / Pearl Double, but with a diamond. Hoping for info!

Post by gabatgh »

Hi :)

So I'm researching a knife and someone on this board has one for sale.
https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... arl-double

However, mine has some differences.

The biggest is that a diamond has been set into one of the buttons. My wife is a graduate gemologist, so yes, it's a diamond.

The larger blade is stamped with
SCHRADE
CUT CO.
WALDEN, N.Y.

NORVELL
SHAPLEIGH
ST. LOUIS

The smaller blade is stamped with
SCHRADE
CUT CO.
WALDEN, N.Y.

U.S. PATS
FEB. 13, 06. (could be the 18th)
FEB. 26, 07.

Both locks work smoothly. When unlocked and diamond button is pressed, the large blade snaps open really fast. To lock it open it only needs to be moved maybe two degrees. When the other side is unlocked and the button is pressed, the little knife snaps out so hard that it bounces back, almost to 45 degrees. When closing both blades, there is a very comfortable 'snick' when the blade locks into place.

Zooming in on the photo of the knife from knfcollector, that one seems to have three dates listed, '09, '10, '10, which would make mine three years older.

I had always assumed that someone took the knife to a jewelry to add the diamond. However, after looking at the closeup pics of it, I'm thinking that the knife was manufactured this way.

That's one of the reasons I'm here with this post. I'm hoping to learn whether the knife has been modified, of if it's original.

I'm also wondering if the sharpening that someone did, which to me looks like it was done by someone not particularly skilled at it, will decrease the value of the knife.

Lastly, of course, I'm wondering what the current value of the knife is.

Thanks everyone!
20190412_233327.jpg
20190412_233336.jpg
20190412_233240.jpg
20190412_233302.jpg
20190412_233354.jpg
20190412_234734.jpg
20190412_234754.jpg
clockman

Re: Schrade Cutlery Co. / Pearl Double, but with a diamond. Hoping for info!

Post by clockman »

Hello Sir, I would say your knife has been modified by someone. Most swithblade collectors want original knives. Someone has added the diamond after the knife was released from the factory. Looks like someone tried to sharpen knife with some sort of dremil tool. This hurts the value greatly. A desireable knife if not for the sharpening disaster. I personally like my switches original, but some people might not be bothered by the diamond. But the terrible attempt at sharpening decreases the value greatly. A $400 to $600 dollar knife if original and sharpened properly. Value now, hard to say, but in my opinion, $200 to $250. Best regards, Randy
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Ditto what Randy said.Condition is a big factor. That crudely fit diamond doesn't help much either.
Roger
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

The same patent dates were continuously stamped on the tangs for decades. It could be an early knife or maybe not so much.
gabatgh

Post by gabatgh »

clockman wrote:Hello Sir, I would say your knife has been modified by someone. Most swithblade collectors want original knives. Someone has added the diamond after the knife was released from the factory. Looks like someone tried to sharpen knife with some sort of dremil tool. This hurts the value greatly. A desireable knife if not for the sharpening disaster. I personally like my switches original, but some people might not be bothered by the diamond. But the terrible attempt at sharpening decreases the value greatly. A $400 to $600 dollar knife if original and sharpened properly. Value now, hard to say, but in my opinion, $200 to $250. Best regards, Randy
Regarding the Dremel, this blade came out of a box, which was in a closet. Neither that box nor the contents had seen the light of day for at least thirty years, maybe closer to fifty.

Can the blades be restored to remove that damage? If so, is it worth the cost to have someone do the work to restore them?
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The more work that is done on a knife the further away from 'mint' it becomes. The blades could have the edges properly sharpened but this would not remove the damage done.
kj
gabatgh

Post by gabatgh »

clockman wrote:Someone has added the diamond after the knife was released from the factory.
So there's no chance that Schrade put out a special edition at some point?
ea42

Post by ea42 »

I'd say there's no chance. Schrade didn't do special editions back then, especially with something like diamonds in buttons. That would never have gotten past brass anyway, the diamonds make the buttons protrude waayyyy too far. Forget to engage the lock and your chances increase tenfold of accidentally engaging the button in your pocket and having the blade fly open. Looks like there was an attempt to sharpen the blade on a grinding wheel. Seen it all to often when the operator doesn't anticipate the wheel grabbing the blade and pulling it in, thereby gouging lines across its width.

Eric

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”