Schrades are better in groups

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
KnifeSlinger#81

Re: Schrades are better in groups

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

899 family photo.

IMG_6630.JPG
IMG_6629.JPG
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

WOW on them 899's ::tu:: little photo op on my Old Timers afta a cleaning and oil during the snow storm.A little of everything ::nod::
Attachments
IMG_1065.JPG
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Very nice group of 899s, Paul. I like the shape of the spey blade on those knives. The patina on the one at the top of the photos makes it especially appealing to me.

Garddogg - that is a cool group. Those Delrin handles are the knives that I grew up using. I still like Delrin for my EDC because I can drop one of those on concrete and no damage.
Mel
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

You gut that right Mel ::handshake:: Delrin is my favorite scale for users.Old timers are the ones I grew up on.
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
thawk

Post by thawk »

Surprised this thread has evaded me until now. This is an old picture called the bone drawer. Not all bone, not all Schrade.
bone_drawer_3.JPG
Hal
TPK

Post by TPK »

thawk wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:38 pm Surprised this thread has evaded me until now. This is an old picture called the bone drawer. Not all bone, not all Schrade.

bone_drawer_3.JPG
Nice collection thawk! ::tu:: :D
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
TPK

Post by TPK »

KnifeSlinger#81 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:28 am Here's a group of some of my best condition stockmans. Two 881's and two 861's, all bone.

IMG_3658_Original.JPG
IMG_3659_Original.JPG
:shock: Can't stop staring at these beauties! ::tu:: :D

KnifeSlinger#81

I think I'll head on down to the ol flea market and peddle my wares for 25 cents a pop. I could use some lunch money. ::woot::

IMG_6848.JPG
-Paul T.

KnifeSlinger#81

TPK wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:00 pm :shock: Can't stop staring at these beauties! ::tu:: :D
Thanks!

thawk wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:38 pm Surprised this thread has evaded me until now. This is an old picture called the bone drawer. Not all bone, not all Schrade.

bone_drawer_3.JPG
That's a good drawer, no doubt.

What is the one on the bottom left, second from the end with a match pull. Schrade walden 879?
-Paul T.

Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

That is quite a drawer of knives, Hal! Nice stuff in there for sure.

Paul - Very nice photo of a treasure box!
Mel
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

What's the location of the flea market? I think I have a quarter. ::nod::
TPK

Post by TPK »

KnifeSlinger#81 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:13 am I think I'll head on down to the ol flea market and peddle my wares for 25 cents a pop. I could use some lunch money. ::woot::

IMG_6848.JPG
If those were fish, I'd call that a "Honey-Hole". ::super_happy:: "Ya take 5 for a dollar?" :mrgreen:

The bottom left corner, match strike & bomb shield, is the BOMB!!! :shock: ::tu:: Very nice Paul! ::super_happy::

KnifeSlinger#81

Thanks fellas. It just so happens that each of those knives cost me a bit more than 25 cents. :D

TPK, that one with a match pull is a schrade walden 881 stockman with wavy bone. There's another one in there too.
-Paul T.

TPK

Post by TPK »

KnifeSlinger#81 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:47 pm Thanks fellas. It just so happens that each of those knives cost me a bit more than 25 cents. :D

TPK, that one with a match pull is a schrade walden 881 stockman with wavy bone. There's another one in there too.

I saw :shock: it waving at me with it's wavy bones. :mrgreen:
Thanks for the Info! Always nice to know exactly what it is your lusting for. ::tu::

Tom

KnifeSlinger#81

Currently the full ensemble of my schrade 3 3/8'' jr cattle knives. Absolutely one of my favorite patterns ever made.

One pearl schrade cut 8566, two ulster knife co stamped peachseed bone with steel construction, one shapleigh DE stamped peachseed 856, four early walden stamped peachseed 856's (no stamped pattern number), one usa walden stamped dark peachseed 856 with pattern number and lastly three usa walden wavy bone 856's with pattern number, one of which has a maher & grosh toledo, OH etch.

IMG_6888.JPG

Now I just need a couple more cuts and some celluloid examples. :D
-Paul T.

espn77

Post by espn77 »

Very nice lineup Paul ::tu::
KnifeSlinger#81

espn77 wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:02 pm Very nice lineup Paul ::tu::
Thanks Keith. ::handshake::
-Paul T.

wlf

Post by wlf »

Great thread Paul and all the participants.

Good to see you posting Hal, of course I could have missed your postings.

I’ve got some to post when I get to my computer.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
wlf

Post by wlf »

How about a few yellow ones. I also have a SCCo florist knife in French ivory that I forgot to include with these.
Top three are SCCo's, bottom knife is Shapleigh SCCo made.
Attachments
Schrade French ivory FJs574.jpg
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

Lyle
tnorton

Post by tnorton »

nice knives paul and wlf -- keep posting - I never get tired at looking at old knives ::tu::
wlf

Post by wlf »

Shadow patterns . All SCCo., except the rehandled one is marked C. U. Liggit Phila.. C U Liggett sold seeds as far as I know, I expect it's the same??

These first appeared in 1936 Cat. E supplement.Not many shadow patterns are 4 1/8". Extra THICK liners for strength as described in the cut and heavy duty pivot pins. The French ivory has the standard blades on most Schrade farmers jacks

The Fibestos material handles didn't last . I have one original fibestos handled knife below and one that's been rehandled. A Schrade S 7309F double spring (The only legitimate farmers jack I have found with 2 springs) and a wharcliffe (peach pruner) pruning blade. It also has the extremely unique budding blade with the spud atop and the thumb rest at the tang.(My all time favorite blade) Also has the flat sided blades. Very cool knife!

David Anthony gave me the rehandled one that he did.It was given to him by the trout fishing guy in NE Penn. that doesn't post any longer. I don't know if he's still alive and am sorry I can't remember his name right now. Saurconian ?,I think was his username, can't remember his real name though.
Attachments
Schrade catalog E supp 1936 S 7309F.jpg
Schrade catalog E supp 1936.jpg
Schrade CCCo shadow RS7304W and SF7309F  FJs582.jpg
Schrade S7309F Fibestos (2).jpg
Schrade Cut shadow French ivory240.jpg
Schrade S7309F379.jpg
Schrades new flat blds387.jpg

Lyle
wlf

Post by wlf »

Here's what Rich Langston had to say about a Fibestos one he had bought:

"Rescue and return of Farmer Jack

As I have said in the past Rarity and condition are two of the biggest factors to be considered by the collector. Often times if a knife is very rare the condition is not as important as it would be on a model or pattern not as unusual or as difficult to obtain. Once in a while you will find a knife which is both rare and in excellent condition. Even more rare is to find an example to which you can validate with a history or provanance. In the past this was not as difficult to do as it is today. In the past people did not know what they had. In todays market the public is much more informed and growing more so each day. The exception to this is when a knife is so rare that people do not recognize it or you know something about that is not generally known or understood. Then once in a while a knife will ( so to speak ) fly under the radar.

I recently received a knife that I purchased on ebay. It is a S7309F (see pic catalogue ref) which is a 4,1/8" Budding and Pruning knife. These were also called farmers jacks, farmer knives, and Wharncliff jacks. These knives had an unusual patterned budding blade with a bark loosener and a pruning blade. This model was handled in Fibestos. This was a very early step up from celluloid and more stable. They also made this knife in a bolstered, shielded bone stag version # S7303 as well as an imi ivory cell version #S7304W. While celluloid and jigged bone can be replaced the original Fibestos is and never will be available again. The fact is that ( relatively ) very few of these were made, as well as this materials property of getting brittle over the years ( it was a form of early plastic) and breaking, means that very few examples in good condition even exist and most of those are in more common patterns that these materials were used on.

While years ago I did own a jigged bone version. I was forced to trade it to another collector as part of 8 knives I traded for a Press Button Guardian. I needed the knife for a book I was writing and really had no other choice. Since then I have seen a couple they were part of the Schrade collection. The only one I have ever seen in fibestos was the one in this collection and it was in pristene condition. When it was announced that Schrade would be selling its collection piece by piece at auction upon liquidation. A 30 page individual listing of these knives was put out. I still have that copy and on page 6 it lists the knife to which I refer. I had noted it to bid on it. ( see pic actual listing from originaly listed pieces ) . As we all know the auction never happened Smokey cut a deal bought it all and has been selling it.

I remembered seeing the knife and it was listed on page 6 of 30 on panel #7B. Because of my affialiation with Schrade I had taken pictures of these panels but since Smokey was on the way to pick them up at the time I was a bit rushed and did not number the panels. Now looking through I cannot find the exact knife however I included a pic of the bone version in the collection which was also on a panel just to show how they were displayed. ( see pic). Schrade made many variations of budding knives most were quite common this model was not.

This knife was apparently sold to a ( well known dealer ) who put it on ebay. He lists it as coming from the Schrade collection and having been bought from Smokey. A couple of well known names bid on it and i sniped it . Sniping is about the only way I seem to be able to bid anything since as soon as I bid early usually other bidders jump in ( from all over). I do not know if it is because of me or everyone has that problem but sniping is fair as far as I am concerned. In this case I paid 130 plus shipping. I was amazed and would have gone much higher ( higher than any sane person would have). The knife is perfect it is like holding a piece of living history. A truly rare pattern in a rare material in Near mint condition. To me this is a treasure.

I have related this story only to show that these items are out there, and present, to the modern collector one of the last opportunitys to save these bits of history and in some cases find items at flea markets and garage sales worth many time what they pay for them. It like any field requires study and determination. I would strongly suggest any reference books available. References aside from informing the reader whet the appetite. This old farmer is back home surrounded by its contemporarys, in a 80 year old Schrade Cutlery display case ( the way it should be ). "

Lyle
KnifeSlinger#81

Great stuff Lyle.

I added another bone 861 yesterday so I decided to take a group photo. These are all minty unused except for the light brown one. Super nice knives, great pattern.

IMG_7533.JPG
IMG_7534.JPG
IMG_7535.JPG
-Paul T.

peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Paul ::tu::
Roger
TPK

Post by TPK »

They look awesome Paul! :shock: Love those handles! ::tu:: :D

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”