Schrades are better in groups

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
tongueriver

Re: Schrades are better in groups

Post by tongueriver »

I love the 804s. Just about a perfect carrying knife, and many (as you well know) are very handsome! Thanks for showing!
bladecollectorr

Post by bladecollectorr »

Dinadan wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:12 pm There are some very nice groups of Schrades on this page. Love the photos, fellows. Here is a small group of Schrades with varying handles.
I like those 804s a lot too. Would you be able to tell me more about the 4th from top? I cropped it below. It looks to have similar handles/pins to a mysterious Schrade I*XL I have.

Schrades12b.jpg
01.jpg

Here's my latest 804. It needs some TLC and will be getting it at some point. JB Weld epoxy will get that shield back on there to stay. I can't see any original glue at all on the stag recess or the shield itself.

scan0002.jpg
I don't always respond to great posts but I always appreciate seeing them. Thanks for posting! ::tu::
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I was going to ask about the pattern number but tongue answered my question. I really like those 804s, going to keep an eye out for them. ::tu:: ::tu::

That's the length? Thanks!
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Thank you for the comments, Fellows.
bladecollectorr wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:07 pm
Dinadan wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:12 pm There are some very nice groups of Schrades on this page. Love the photos, fellows. Here is a small group of Schrades with varying handles.
I like those 804s a lot too. Would you be able to tell me more about the 4th from top? I cropped it below. It looks to have similar handles/pins to a mysterious Schrade I*XL I have.
Here are a couple of photos showing the handle of that knife in better light and more detail. I really do not know anything about it other than it is a very fine knife. There has been some discussion about the bone handles with that kind of jigging in the past. It has been questioned whether they are really original Schrade handles. But at this point I think enough examples have been shown to indicate that it really is a Schrade factory handle that was not used very often.

That is very nice I*XL that you have there. Is it one of those big five inch closed knives?
Attachments
Schrade 804
Schrade 804
Schrade 804
Schrade 804
Mel
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Dinadan wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:57 pm Thank you for the comments, Fellows.
bladecollectorr wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:07 pm
Here are a couple of photos showing the handle of that knife in better light and more detail. I really do not know anything about it other than it is a very fine knife. There has been some discussion about the bone handles with that kind of jigging in the past. It has been questioned whether they are really original Schrade handles. But at this point I think enough examples have been shown to indicate that it really is a Schrade factory handle that was not used very often.

That is very nice I*XL that you have there. Is it one of those big five inch closed knives?

From what I've found trying to get more info on this type of jig it seems like it may have been used in the later days of the bone era. I have seen a few examples now and the info that I've found indicates that it was used for a very short period and is not widely known like the other jigs schrade used, which is why authenticating is somewhat uncertain. This is not a definitive answer but it's the possibility that I find myself leaning towards based off the info I've found. If that is the case then it's a rather rare knife.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
bladecollectorr

Post by bladecollectorr »

Dinadan wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:12 pm That is very nice I*XL that you have there. Is it one of those big five inch closed knives?
Thanks for all the opinions regarding the handles. My knife is indeed the big 5" Texas Stockman. I posted it with some H. Williams variations.
viewtopic.php?f=64&t=55772#p755129
I don't always respond to great posts but I always appreciate seeing them. Thanks for posting! ::tu::
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

bladecollectorr wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:08 pm
Dinadan wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:12 pm That is very nice I*XL that you have there. Is it one of those big five inch closed knives?
Thanks for all the opinions regarding the handles. My knife is indeed the big 5" Texas Stockman. I posted it with some H. Williams variations.
viewtopic.php?f=64&t=55772#p755129
I like those Texas Stockman knives. I have one with the basic wood handle. It is too big for me now, but if I had had one of those when I was a teenager I would have loved carrying it!

Here are my six Schrades from the Schrade Heritage era. Note that while Bladecollectorr's 85th anniversary Schrade's shield has fallen off, my 85th anniversary Schrade never even had one!

Notice that the bottom knife has actually been sharpened enough to change the blade profile. Not many of those knives ever got used.
Attachments
Schrade Heritage era knives
Schrade Heritage era knives
Mel
KnifeSlinger#81

Here's a group of some of my best condition stockmans. Two 881's and two 861's, all bone.

IMG_3658_Original.JPG
IMG_3659_Original.JPG
-Paul T.

Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Beautiful knives, Paul! I really like the bone on those two Craftsman knives at the top. Nice etch on those two knives, also!
Mel
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Beautiful bones 4 fold Paul. And knives pristine. Sears knives should not look that good. ::nod:: ::nod::
KnifeSlinger#81

899 family photo.

IMG_6630.JPG
IMG_6629.JPG
-Paul T.

garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

WOW on them 899's ::tu:: little photo op on my Old Timers afta a cleaning and oil during the snow storm.A little of everything ::nod::
Attachments
IMG_1065.JPG
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Very nice group of 899s, Paul. I like the shape of the spey blade on those knives. The patina on the one at the top of the photos makes it especially appealing to me.

Garddogg - that is a cool group. Those Delrin handles are the knives that I grew up using. I still like Delrin for my EDC because I can drop one of those on concrete and no damage.
Mel
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

You gut that right Mel ::handshake:: Delrin is my favorite scale for users.Old timers are the ones I grew up on.
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
thawk

Post by thawk »

Surprised this thread has evaded me until now. This is an old picture called the bone drawer. Not all bone, not all Schrade.
bone_drawer_3.JPG
Hal
TPK

Post by TPK »

thawk wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:38 pm Surprised this thread has evaded me until now. This is an old picture called the bone drawer. Not all bone, not all Schrade.

bone_drawer_3.JPG
Nice collection thawk! ::tu:: :D
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
TPK

Post by TPK »

KnifeSlinger#81 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:28 am Here's a group of some of my best condition stockmans. Two 881's and two 861's, all bone.

IMG_3658_Original.JPG
IMG_3659_Original.JPG
:shock: Can't stop staring at these beauties! ::tu:: :D

KnifeSlinger#81

I think I'll head on down to the ol flea market and peddle my wares for 25 cents a pop. I could use some lunch money. ::woot::

IMG_6848.JPG
-Paul T.

KnifeSlinger#81

TPK wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:00 pm :shock: Can't stop staring at these beauties! ::tu:: :D
Thanks!

thawk wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:38 pm Surprised this thread has evaded me until now. This is an old picture called the bone drawer. Not all bone, not all Schrade.

bone_drawer_3.JPG
That's a good drawer, no doubt.

What is the one on the bottom left, second from the end with a match pull. Schrade walden 879?
-Paul T.

Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

That is quite a drawer of knives, Hal! Nice stuff in there for sure.

Paul - Very nice photo of a treasure box!
Mel
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

What's the location of the flea market? I think I have a quarter. ::nod::
TPK

Post by TPK »

KnifeSlinger#81 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:13 am I think I'll head on down to the ol flea market and peddle my wares for 25 cents a pop. I could use some lunch money. ::woot::

IMG_6848.JPG
If those were fish, I'd call that a "Honey-Hole". ::super_happy:: "Ya take 5 for a dollar?" :mrgreen:

The bottom left corner, match strike & bomb shield, is the BOMB!!! :shock: ::tu:: Very nice Paul! ::super_happy::

KnifeSlinger#81

Thanks fellas. It just so happens that each of those knives cost me a bit more than 25 cents. :D

TPK, that one with a match pull is a schrade walden 881 stockman with wavy bone. There's another one in there too.
-Paul T.

TPK

Post by TPK »

KnifeSlinger#81 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:47 pm Thanks fellas. It just so happens that each of those knives cost me a bit more than 25 cents. :D

TPK, that one with a match pull is a schrade walden 881 stockman with wavy bone. There's another one in there too.

I saw :shock: it waving at me with it's wavy bones. :mrgreen:
Thanks for the Info! Always nice to know exactly what it is your lusting for. ::tu::

Tom

KnifeSlinger#81

Currently the full ensemble of my schrade 3 3/8'' jr cattle knives. Absolutely one of my favorite patterns ever made.

One pearl schrade cut 8566, two ulster knife co stamped peachseed bone with steel construction, one shapleigh DE stamped peachseed 856, four early walden stamped peachseed 856's (no stamped pattern number), one usa walden stamped dark peachseed 856 with pattern number and lastly three usa walden wavy bone 856's with pattern number, one of which has a maher & grosh toledo, OH etch.

IMG_6888.JPG

Now I just need a couple more cuts and some celluloid examples. :D
-Paul T.

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”