What's Up With This Cut Co Jack

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

What's Up With This Cut Co Jack

Post by JohnR »

Picked up this Schrade Cut Co jack this week and it is an interesting knife, first it's a big one at 3 3/4", second the clip main has a great swedge on it. But what is real interesting is the mark side has Schrade pick bone and the pile side has Schrade peach seed.
Pins match, color matches, knife does not look like it has been apart. Any ideas, repair job, salesman sample, bad day at the bench? Whatever it is a beautiful knife and the 3 3/4" size is abut my ideal jack.
Attachments
IMG_9260.jpg
IMG_9263.jpg
IMG_9265.jpg
IMG_9271.jpg
IMG_9269.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: What's Up With This Cut Co Jack

Post by doglegg »

Whoa, John, I like that. Two great handles and differently the same. Beautiful color. That is awesome. ::nod:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::nod::
BWT

Post by BWT »

I have no idea how it got to be that way, but it's a beautiful knife, great find ::tu:: ::tu::
Bill
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

BWT wrote:I have no idea how it got to be that way, but it's a beautiful knife, great find ::tu:: ::tu::
::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Rusty1

Post by Rusty1 »

If you think the pins look like they are correct, I would possibly say that the knife had the pick bone original handles and one side after some time was in need of repair. It could of been sent to Schrade for repair, but they did not have any pick bone left so with the customers approval ended up using peechseed bone on the replacement. Just as a possibility of course.

Russell
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Rusty1 wrote:If you think the pins look like they are correct, I would possibly say that the knife had the pick bone original handles and one side after some time was in need of repair. It could of been sent to Schrade for repair, but they did not have any pick bone left so with the customers approval ended up using peechseed bone on the replacement. Just as a possibility of course.

Russell
I think that is the most likely scenario.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Thanks guys, however it came to be this way it sure is neat to have one knife that shows both styles of great Schrade old jigged bone.
ScoutKnives

Post by ScoutKnives »

Last one in the pile at assembly time and sometimes the handles just don’t match up well .
Always looking for Mint pre war scout knives
wlf

Post by wlf »

Either Russell or Mike could be right, it’s cool.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

John,I would say it came from the factory that way.Likely a transition earlier Schrade bone to what we call peachseed.The early Schrade Cut bone jigging looked a lot NY Knife jigging,but lighter colored.
Roger

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”