Two Unusual Schrade Knives

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
kootenay joe

Two Unusual Schrade Knives

Post by kootenay joe »

Here are 2 Schrade knives that seem odd to me.
The first is a 3 7/8" Stockman with bone handles marked on front master tang "Schrade/Walden/N.Y. U.S.A." and on the back tang "Stainless". The knife is in poor condition but is interesting in that i have never seen one marked "Stainless". I think it is from early Schrade-Walden time ?
Have you seen one of these or have any ideas as to when it was made ?
The Second knife is more recent, a "Schrade/N.Y. U.S.A./293" with jigged bone handles. Schrade stopped using jigged bone for regular run knives in the early 1960's. Any bone ones after this were special releases and marked as such with blade etch or special shield. This knife is from mid 1970's and has no indication of being an SFO, or of the handles being replacement. There is an "Old Timer" shield but no "OT" after "293".
Have you seen one of these before ? Any comments about how it came to be ?
kj
Attachments
gec 005.jpg
gec 001.jpg
gec 002.jpg
gec 003.jpg
gec 004.jpg
KnifeSlinger#81

Re: Two Unusual Schrade Knives

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

The stockman is a 1950's knife, and it looks original to me. It appears that the shield has fallen off, but I can see the pin for it. One time at a show I saw the exact same knife but in better condition. Unfortunately it had a big chunk out of the sheepsfoot blade and the price was high so I left it. It's the same as an 881 but I don't remember if it was stamped as such, I don't think it was.

The second knife is a mixture of several things. The stamp is an open stock pattern trapper, so the OT shield is out of place on it. The bone looks like the type of bone they used on the schrade parker frost knives. So, it could be an EOD knife or cobbled together from parts after bankruptcy, but all the parts appear to be genuine.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
kootenay joe

Re: Two Unusual Schrade Knives

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks Paul. Have you seen the stock knife with "Stainless" on back tang ? It is the only one i have seen. Do you know what type of shield it likely had ?
Regarding the 293, i thought the "Old Timer" shield looked out of place. I had not thought of it, but yes, the bone does look like the Parker-Frost knives which were from 1979. The "Schrade/N.Y. U.S.A." stamping was D/C'd for "Schrade U.S.A." in late 1970's. I think this confirms EOD, unless there are a 'bunch' of these out there which i doubt as this is the only one i have seen.
But, it is still a Schrade and a nice one too.
kj

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”