Schrade with XX on the tang

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
battletoads

Schrade with XX on the tang

Post by battletoads »

I am going through my grandfather's knife collection and trying to put a value on the knives for his estate. He has a few interesting knives and one of which I couldn't find much online about. If you look closely on the tang the side with the Schrade name has been X'd out. Does anyone know what this means? What could this knife be valued at?
20180718_173004.jpg
20180718_173031.jpg
Thanks!
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Schrade with XX on the tang

Post by TripleF »

I believe it means it was a factory error......
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

battletoads wrote:I am going through my grandfather's knife collection and trying to put a value on the knives for his estate. He has a few interesting knives and one of which I couldn't find much online about. If you look closely on the tang the side with the Schrade name has been X'd out. Does anyone know what this means? What could this knife be valued at?
20180718_173004.jpg20180718_173031.jpg

Thanks!
The XX means it's a second.It could be something simple like the etch missing of the main blade.
It still a good knife as far as value, some of the other members might have a better idea than me.

Grant
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I have two of the Schrade knives with the XX over the tang stamp. I was told they are seconds for what could be a variety of reasons. Mine both have a sharp drop where the back of the blade meets the backspring with the blade open. I bought this pair unused for $20. Good carry and use knives.
IMG_2007.JPG
Close up of the 77 OT
IMG_2004.JPG
Close up of the 94 OT
IMG_2006.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
battletoads

Post by battletoads »

Thanks for the information. I figured this meant that it was likely a second run or something along those lines.
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Shearer wrote:
battletoads wrote:I am going through my grandfather's knife collection and trying to put a value on the knives for his estate. He has a few interesting knives and one of which I couldn't find much online about. If you look closely on the tang the side with the Schrade name has been X'd out. Does anyone know what this means? What could this knife be valued at?
20180718_173004.jpg20180718_173031.jpg

Thanks!
The XX means it's a second.It could be something simple like the etch missing of the main blade.
It still a good knife as far as value, some of the other members might have a better idea than me.

Grant
Sometimes they would grind off the tang stamp to mark a second, but I don't know how they decided which one to do or if they switched to one method over the other.

I have an 885uh that belonged to my grandfather and it has no uncle henry stamp on the shield, so to mark it as a second they ground off the stamp. It took a long time for me to figure out what I had, but once I got more into schrade it became obvious when I compared it to a regular marked 885.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”