Schrade Tang Stamp Question

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
XX Case XX

Schrade Tang Stamp Question

Post by XX Case XX »

Both these tang stamps are off Schrade 825's. What's the difference between the two?

825 Etch (2).jpg (27.86 KiB) Viewed 2936 times
IMG_2355 (2).JPG
"If there are no Dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went". Will Rogers

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Rusty1

Re: Schrade Tang Stamp Question

Post by Rusty1 »

Schrade stopped using the Walden name mid 70's, If the covers are delrin on the knife then late 60's to mid 70's. Then they continued to use just Schrade after that. The factory in Walden burnt down in 1958 and they moved their operation to the old Ulster plant in Ellenville, then from there across town to the newer plant, which since the closer in 2004 has recently been raised to the ground.

Russell
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Rusty1 wrote:Schrade stopped using the Walden name mid 70's
Thanks Russell. The second photo, (Walden) is my knife. It's Delrin and has the word "Stainless" on the shield. I didn't know why there was 2 different types of stamps on those but you cleared that right up. ::tu::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Basically: Schrade Cut Co (aka "SCC") ~1905-1946; Schrade Walden 1946-1972; Schrade/N.Y. U.S.A. & Schrade/U.S.A. 1972-2004.
kj
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Schrade Walden dropped "Walden" from the tang stamps the June of 1973.

The 825 is a pretty common pattern and I imagine there are multiple variations is the later tang stamp. I think I have a couple myself.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

I have been interested in collecting the 825 with all the different tang stamps and variations. Here are a few more.
Attachments
This knife is unique but the stamp was common for a time.
This knife is unique but the stamp was common for a time.
'STAINLESS' on back
'STAINLESS' on back
I had a brain fart and missed this one. Haven't had a chance at one since. :-(  Schrade, Ny., 4 line stamp.
I had a brain fart and missed this one. Haven't had a chance at one since. :-( Schrade, Ny., 4 line stamp.
This is the newest and last stamp with Schrade+
This is the newest and last stamp with Schrade+
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

It is indeed a great pattern with DOZENS of variations, even more if you count SFOs. Here's one a little fancier than some. If it is still around here someplace it is available.
95th 897001.jpg
95th 897002.jpg
95th 897003.jpg
Here's another one.
KK 897001.jpg
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

tongueriver wrote:It is indeed a great pattern with DOZENS of variations, even more if you count SFOs.
I count 4 different tang stamps for the 897UH including the Craftsman. The 95th Anniversary knives are beautiful!
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

The first ones were in bone and did not have "U.S.A." in the stamps. Nor did they have the pattern # on the reverse (pile) side of the tangs.
825 early bone001.jpg
825 early bone002.jpg
825 early bone003.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Calvin the S-W bone 825 is a lovely knife, still in the 'look' of Schrade Cut Co as opposed to the later Schrade-Walden after being conquered by PLASTIC.
Unlike people, the old knives look better than the younger ones.
kj
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

kootenay joe wrote:Calvin the S-W bone 825 is a lovely knife, still in the 'look' of Schrade Cut Co as opposed to the later Schrade-Walden after being conquered by PLASTIC.
Unlike people, the old knives look better than the younger ones.
kj
You can't substitute peachseed bone with anything, for sure. The swinden bolsters also give them a very different look and they are thicker. The most noticeable difference to me is the very sharp & crisp grinds on the pre swinden knives as opposed to the post swinden knives which look less pronounced.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Paul i think we all agree that the handles and blade grinds for Schrade knives lost out beginning about 1960 in an attempt by Schrade-Walden to meet a price point.
Perhaps this enabled Schrade to stay in business for another 44 years but the cost was the loss of great knives and the introduction of lower end 'ho-hum' knives.
kj
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

At some point I think they tumbled the blades in an abrasive drum like one might do agates to achieve the finish. A far cry from cutlers sitting at a grinding wheel. The old timers produced beautiful knives at great cost to their health. The 825 stainless steel pattern had ancestors going way back to before World War Two in the original Schrade Cutlery Company, but here is one (in the mail) that points up the 1950s progenitor to the 825 in non-stainless steel.
peachy1.jpg
peachy2.jpg
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

kootenay joe wrote:Paul i think we all agree that the handles and blade grinds for Schrade knives lost out beginning about 1960 in an attempt by Schrade-Walden to meet a price point.
Perhaps this enabled Schrade to stay in business for another 44 years but the cost was the loss of great knives and the introduction of lower end 'ho-hum' knives.
kj
It may have. I still enjoy the post 1960's knives but view them as a different thing.
tongueriver wrote:At some point I think they tumbled the blades in an abrasive drum like one might do agates to achieve the finish. A far cry from cutlers sitting at a grinding wheel. The old timers produced beautiful knives at great cost to their health. The 825 stainless steel pattern had ancestors going way back to before World War Two in the original Schrade Cutlery Company, but here is one (in the mail) that points up the 1950s progenitor to the 825 in non-stainless steel.
peachy1.jpgpeachy2.jpg
That one is a dandy Cal, I didn't expect it to last for sale very long.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

tongueriver wrote:
897003.jpg
::not_worthy:: that's a thing of beauty right there
- Jason

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”