Schrade Walden NY USA 148 Fixed blade

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
woodwalker

Schrade Walden NY USA 148 Fixed blade

Post by woodwalker »

Just got this one. Are they a good quality knife? Does anyone know the date range. I googled that the waffle sheath came out in 1965. Looks almost identical to my Western L39.
Attachments
20180606_180926.jpg
20180606_180909.jpg
tongueriver

Re: Schrade Walden NY USA 148 Fixed blade

Post by tongueriver »

One source here on AAPK says 1961 to 1973 for your particular configuration of that pattern. I am no expert on the steels, but I believe that all American cutleries for 100 years used some variation of 1095 steel, with slight variations in heat treating; they were/are all good stuff. They are softer than some of the "modern" stainless steels but take a scary sharp edge and keep it pretty well. Plus, they look good with a patina. Stainless steel just looks continually worse with use. All this is just my opinion, and it has never been humble.
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

tongueriver wrote:One source here on AAPK says 1961 to 1973 for your particular configuration of that pattern. I am no expert on the steels, but I believe that all American cutleries for 100 years used some variation of 1095 steel, with slight variations in heat treating; they were/are all good stuff. They are softer than some of the "modern" stainless steels but take a scary sharp edge and keep it pretty well. Plus, they look good with a patina. Stainless steel just looks continually worse with use. All this is just my opinion, and it has never been humble.
LOL. Well I value you opinion tongue river!! :) And I tend to agree with you as well. I appreciate your comments and this one will go in the tackle box and rucksack for some fishing and hunting duties!! My dog gone Western L39 is too Purdy to bloody up. Thanks again and have a good one!! :)
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

If it says Schrade NY or USA on the tang then you've got yourself a fine piece of steel ::tu::
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

KnifeSlinger#81 wrote:If it says Schrade NY or USA on the tang then you've got yourself a fine piece of steel ::tu::
Thanks Knifeslinger!! I am going to put this one to work. It's crazy what you can pick these up for sometimes. Guess people don't think like us. History, Patina, years of dedicated service to the owners. On the back of the sheath you can see a fold in the leather where the owners belt made a permanent crease in the leather. Maybe it's just me but that's history of the knife being carried. It is not minty but I sure like it and will give it a little more history with me! :) Thanks for your comments! Have a good weekend!!

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”