Schrade ? double edged FB

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
kootenay joe

Schrade ? double edged FB

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is an unusual knife i bought a couple of years ago on ebay. The seller insisted it came from the 2004 closure auction and that it is a "prototype" ! Wow ! :wink:
OAL 9 3/8"; handle is 5 1/4", blade is 4 1/8".
Blade is thickest at midline and has a flat grind to a very thin edge full length bottom and top edges. The handle is well made and nicely finished but there is nothing to suggest Schrade.
I doubt it is a 'prototype' in part because i cannot see a specific use for this knife. The up-curved edge looks like a skinning or de-boning blade, but what would the very sharp inner curve be used for ?
It might however have come from the Schrade auction. Did Schrade employees use the equipment there to make their own knives ? (maybe get permission to do this on a weekend ?)
I would like to hear your thoughts about this knife and for those who did work for Schrade, did you ever see this lying around ?
thanks, kj
Attachments
IMGP4300.JPG
IMGP4303.JPG
IMGP4301.JPG
IMGP4302.JPG
Gunsil

Re: Schrade ? double edged FB

Post by Gunsil »

Looks like an oyster shucker to me Roland. Unusual with a curved blade, but the guard and dimentions are similar to oyster knives.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have no experience with oysters or shucking but i thought that a shucker has a stout straight blade. This blade is not flexible but it is made from stock less than 1/8" i think. Thickness is hard to gauge with median ridge being thickest part. It tapers to very thin just above both edges. Is this suitable for shucking ?
kj
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Well, shucks! I never met an oyster in the shell, myself. That is a weird looking instrument. No insights here.
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

That’s a crazy looking knife. Not sure it helps but here is some pics from the factory collection. Don’t forget Schrade put everything from Imperial, Ulster and Schrade under one roof. Had to be a mountain of stuff. Only way to know for sure on something like that is who your buying from.
D733D058-9534-48FC-928E-9DD03312046F.png
F4AF544C-E6C3-4DDA-BE91-F7B7E77354DF.jpeg
F4AF544C-E6C3-4DDA-BE91-F7B7E77354DF.jpeg
Attachments
29447B87-DC89-4B1A-8644-F9242C4AA7EB.jpeg
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I suspect that there are some illegal aliens in that collection. I collect more than Schrade, and I bet the party who lovingly created those boards had some other interests than Schrade/Imperial/Ulster/Camillus, as well. Why not?
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Your probably right Cal. There are some crazy knives in the display. That is kind of the point. If someone told you one of those crazy looking knives came from the Schrade factory collection you might think they were nuts. Think of all the contract knives, sample, prototypes, knives laying around on work benches, frankinknives, pet projects, and whatever else we can imagine. I actually think the knife posted here likely did come from the factory. For more reasons then one but that’s just me.

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”