Timing of pattern numbers?

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
Bfeldman

Timing of pattern numbers?

Post by Bfeldman »

I know the adage about Schrade and records, but is there an established time period when Schrade introduced pattern number stamps on blades? I’ve tried to do a little research but I haven’t come up with anything.

I ask in part because I just picked up this Schrade Walden 233 that doesn’t have the pattern number stamped anywhere. The tang stamp indicates it was made between 1946-1973 but that’s a broad range. I thought the timing of the introduction of pattern numbers could help me narrow the range.

I think the handle is Delrin but I’m confident in my ability to tell the difference.
88C5A031-7CC5-49DF-9645-404C9B276D9B.jpeg
E1E5E540-D3F5-4E15-AAC6-72D8D8FB9363.jpeg
5F1D145F-1A75-46A0-B0A0-725F9E8E669F.jpeg
8B7B1020-659D-44C7-BF71-3956509E09DA.jpeg
Attachments
931A73EC-7284-42AB-89BB-B9E318DEE704.jpeg
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Timing of pattern numbers?

Post by Shearer »

If it has Delrin handle,made from 1960 on to 1973.
If you cannot see pins through bolster 1959-60 to 1973.
You can see by my reply Delrin and the Swindon System was introduced around the same time.
Someone else might have a more exact date.That's the best I can do.
If you look up the research at the top of the page it might give the time line for you knife.

Grant
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I can clearly see the pen in the bolster in the fourth picture so this knife was made prior to the introduction of the Swinden system which was circa 1960 to 61 and it also appears to have Delrin handles. So I would say this knife was made right around 1960 give or take six months one way or the other. That is just about as precise as you can date a Schrade, in fact more precise than probably 80% of the Schrades that are out there. Upon reconsideration, I think a more precise guesstimation would be that this knife was made in the first few months of 1960.

It is a nice knife and interesting in that it is made in the midst of two transitions, the transition from through pin to Swinden construction and the transition from bone or early composites to Delrin.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

It's pretty easy to tell the difference between bone and Delrin® (or other synthetics). Use magnification if you need it and look for the haversian canals that bone has. (they're the dark spots where the blood vessels & nerves ran through the bone).

I can see (as Dale said) in the 5th picture that the handles on your knife are Delrin®.
Attachments
Comparison Bone (haversian canals) vs Delrin.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I think your knife has been dated pretty well by the above posters, but that does not answer your question. Somewhere in about 1952 to 1955 (and this is a definite maybe) they added "U.S.A." to the tang stamp and also the pattern number. Your pattern number (it would seem) has either been worn away or just missed getting stamped. ::shrug:: That clip blade would also have been used on an 834 open stock, I think.
Bfeldman

Post by Bfeldman »

Thanks to everyone for all the answers. Both helping to date the knife so specifically and to the question of when pattern numbers were added. Oh and even the unanswered one about the materials.

It’s pretty cool that this knife has the newer delrin and the older pin system. And that because of that it can be dated more specifically.

I originally bought this one with the plan to resell, but I may have to keep it.

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”