Schrade-Walden 844

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
kootenay joe

Schrade-Walden 844

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is a knife that has just arrived from ebay: 3 5/16" with peachseed bone handles and a clip, pen & spey blades. Clip is marked: Schrade/Walden/N.Y. on the front tang and 844 on the back side tang.
Size, shape and blades are all the same as a S-W 834.
Pictures show it with a S-W 834 also with jigged bone but of later time period than peachseed.
kj
Attachments
IMGP4134.JPG
IMGP4135.JPG
IMGP4136.JPG
IMGP4138.JPG
IMGP4139.JPG
IMGP4141.JPG
IMGP4140.JPG
tongueriver

Re: Schrade-Walden 844

Post by tongueriver »

Nice score, Roland; I believe we commiserated on that one. An anomaly? I can only speculate that some knucklehead ordered the wrong stamp, because it is clearly an 834, a pattern made by Schrade Walden from the onset of the company in 1947, and, of course, much earlier as a CutCo. Your new knife is missing the U.S.A. from the tang stamp, but does have a pattern number. This suggests to me a mfg, date of maybe 1953 to 1955?
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks Calvin. I will wait for hopefully a few more posts and then i will give my impression of this knife.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have been hoping for help from the long time Schrade collectors but so far only one post.
What do you 'old timers' think of this knife ? I cannot find "844" in any Schrade catalog/flyer.
kj
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

Sorry, Joe. I think Cal pretty much nailed it. If there was some evidence of a blade etch that might point to a special order from someone like Keen Kutter or something, then we could assume that the 834 model number was changed for that special order. It's been done before. But with the info and pictures we have, I have to assume that it was just mis-stamped for some reason. It does make the knife a nice conversational collectable though. I almost bid on it myself.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks Mustanger. There never was an 844 pattern that i know of, so why was there an 844 stamping die ? If these were individually stamped numbers, the alignment and spacing usually is not so 'perfect'.
kj
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

I saw this knife on Ebay and was going to post about it but never got around to it.

The thing I have always wondered is...I have seen older Schrade 834's with clip/spay/pen, clip/sheepfoot/spay, and clip/sheepfoot/pen...there never seemed to be any rhyme or reason to the blade combinations.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”