Muskrat Love

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
KAW

Muskrat Love

Post by KAW »

While I always felt that one day I would obtain a Muskrat model for my Schrade collection, I never intended to end up with a Muskrat "herd".
It all started when Herman Williams (for those who don't know... an ex-Schrade Master Cutler) put a couple of his customized Schrade Muskrats up for auction on eBay at the end of last year. Attempting to win one, but not wanting to miss out, I ended up with both...
a 787 with custom jigged bone handles with the "Improved Muskrat" shield... and...
a 77OT with custom saw-cut bone handles with the "Old Timer" shield.

Three months later... an addition to the herd in the form of a Canal Street Muskrat with brown jigged bone handles issued in 2005.
... and yet I still feel the urge to obtain a Schrade factory version to boot... ::dang::

While I love gawking at them, I have been scratching my scalp bald wondering why would there be a need to have two identical Turkish clip blades in one knife? ... and what makes the 787 an "Improved" muskrat?

My apologies for not being able to get the photos to show the detail in the saw-cut handles

10586 10587 10588
10589 10590
'til later....
Ken

10031 means.... never having a dull moment. 8)
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Muskrat Love

Post by treefarmer »

Wow, KAW! Beauties, all three. ::tu::
One of my favorite knives is the Muskrat pattern, been using a plain 77OT for years when I'm finishing up processing a deer, removing small bits of silver skin or unwanted fat, etc., just a perfect knife for me for that purpose. Again, you have some fine ones! That little folding rule ain't bad either.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Nice muskrats! I feel that the muskrat is an under appreciated pattern that many people nowadays don't care for. I only have six, shown below. Note that most, but not all muskrats have identical blades. The Kabar shown has different pull locations on the two blades. And of course the Buck 313 shown uses the same blades as their trapper, but on opposite ends. Maybe this is not a true muskrat? I can as a small kid recall seeing my dad skinning with his Schrade muskrat knife. He would skin until the first blade dulled, then use the second blade to finish. Nice to have two sharp blades.
Old Timer 77 OT, Kabar, Buck 313
IMG_2163.JPG
Case yellow CV, Wards brown bone, Kutmaster with Blake & Lamb blade etch.
IMG_2164.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

Very nice bone handled Muskrats, KAW. You might also like Schrade's 2003 and 2004 Cigar Box Classics bone handled Muskrats. Shown are one finished product from '04 in it's cigar box and a couple of unfinished ones. One from 2003 for the green bone Muskrat pictured with an Uncle Henry 77UH and a 2004 pictured with a trapper from the same limited editions. Herman has also built some beautiful green bone Muskrats. You might even consider an Uncle Henry 877UH with a gut hook. It could be re-scaled with bone. I wish I could answer your question about what makes a Muskrat "Improved", but I have wondered why myself. Perhaps it's just a marketing ploy? ::shrug::
Attachments
2004 Cigar Box Classics
2004 Cigar Box Classics
Unfinished '03 Cigar Box Classics + Uncle Henry 77UH
Unfinished '03 Cigar Box Classics + Uncle Henry 77UH
Unfinished '04 Cigar Box Classics Muskrat + Trapper
Unfinished '04 Cigar Box Classics Muskrat + Trapper
Schrade Open Stock 787 Imp. Muskrat
Schrade Open Stock 787 Imp. Muskrat
Unfinished '04 CBC
Unfinished '04 CBC
Schrade Uncle Henry 877UH Pro Hunter
Schrade Uncle Henry 877UH Pro Hunter
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

As to the question of the "improved" muskrat. After quite a bit of reading it appears there are at least 2 schools of thought. Around 1934 - 1936 the muskrat got a Hawbaker blade, described in the 1936 catalog as an improved skinning blade. After that, with or without the hawbaker blade the knife was referred to, and marked, as an "Improved Muskrat". Another plausible explanation is that "Improved Muskrat" was simply a marketing ploy...as in New and Improved. A combination of the two explanations seems likely. Someone trying to boost sales saw the description in the 1936 catalog and suggested that they etch Improved on the muskrats. In 1936, a pocket knife was a tool, just as it is today. If someone says they have an improved version of a tool I use, I'd probably want to buy it.
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

That seems like a pretty good explanation, Doug. Especially since the Hawbaker muskrat continued into the Schrade Walden era when they were cataloging the double clip blade muskrats at the same time as just, "Muskrat". At least as near as I can tell from the available catalogs.

This picture was posted online by Waynorth. There's a muskrat to dream about!
Attachments
787 SW Imp. Muskrat, Hawbaker.jpg
KAW

Post by KAW »

Olde Cutler & Mustanger, those are some mighty fine examples you both posted! Schrade certainly made some really great looking knives right up to the end. BTW, I really do like their green bone handles & I do have a couple of knives with them, but they are not Muskrats.

Treefarmer & dweb1897, thanks for the info. I'm still new to knife collecting & still trying to get a grasp as to the functionality / purpose to all the different patterns there are.

Anyone else have some Muskrats they want to show off?
'til later....
Ken

10031 means.... never having a dull moment. 8)
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

Here are my "rat pack", top left 1988 Rem 4466 (they call it a muskrat), next down is a Schrade D.U. 77UH, next one down is a Schrade 787 imp. muskrat, top center is a Buck 313, next one down is a Queen 9125, bottom center is a Schrade 77OT, top right Schrade+ 77UH gut hook, center right is a Robeson 623595 USA, and bottom right is a "hybrid" Schrade/Parker marked Schrade 1978-3 on one side and parker/Frost on the other side. ::tu:: Terry
Attachments
DSC_1654.JPG
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

I've always liked the Muskrat...here's some from my collection

5 by Herman Williams... the last 2 are single back springs
H.W. MUSKRATS.jpg
787 SW single back spring...787WE SW Wonda Edge single back spring...3 New York Knife Co Walden's ....Schrade/Parker....Unfinished Cigar Box
MUSKRATS-1.jpg
Pile side of the 787WE.....2 Canal Streets
MUSKRATS-2.jpg
4 variations in White Bone by Herman Williams
H.W. MUSKRATS IN WHITE BONE.jpg
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I picked up this Schrade 787 Improved Muskrat at a garage sale yesterday for a fiver! This one has the grind lines visible on both blades, was that typical of Schrades from this era?
IMG_5185.JPG
IMG_5186.JPG
IMG_5187.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Price is impressive but the knife more so. Congrats.
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

You were definitely in the right place at the right time. Congratulations!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

Just got this Rat, beautiful knife but probably be letting it go soon.
Attachments
AD90BE5A-E9FE-40BA-A367-0B8C8BBBE7CC.jpeg
067B34C2-DC66-4813-A53C-69FCCD722B7F.jpeg
D815B5DC-2438-4457-8325-FE86E67D347C.jpeg
299659F7-7398-493D-B7CB-019151436DAE.jpeg
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

That is a beauty, Mike. I hear you about letting them go. Last I looked I have 237 Schrade CutCo prewar knives to mostly release. What was I thinking?
timb

Post by timb »

I used to like the idea of carrying a muskrat. My thoughts were to keep one blade for everyday use and the blade clean and sharp for fine precise work. The trouble was that I'd forget and use both blades for general use, so my theory never worked out :)
Thinning out my knifes. Take a look at what I have for sale.
https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/timb

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”