Swinden construction thread

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
tongueriver

Swinden construction thread

Post by tongueriver »

The Swinden construction method for pinning the blades began about the same time as the Delrin revolution, about 1960/1961. We know that some of the patterns never did use this method. My first question is: "Does the 194OT small linerlock use this method?"
And secondly, can we start a list here of the post 1960 Schrade knives that did not use the Swinden method. I will start it off with the big linerlocks.
7OT, LB7, LB8, etc.
51OT
and some smaller lockbacks, the #5 patterns such as the 5OT
All the 5 1/4 inch folding hunters
Please add to the list!
jxr1197

Re: Swinden construction thread

Post by jxr1197 »

886UH & 889UH
All of the 3rd Generation knives including the special Uncle Henrys
- Jason
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Thank you; keep those cards and letters coming! In the above post I believe a typo? Should be 898UH instead of 889UH?
AR Norby

Post by AR Norby »

I have three 194OTs and I cannot tell if they used the Swinden key or not. as for those knives that do not use the Swinden system are the LB5 and the 3OT Bearhead.
Perception is Reality

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”