Schrade steels

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
tongueriver

Schrade steels

Post by tongueriver »

I found the following old posts in a dark corner of my computer. The first part is started out with a post from 'Codger,' and then Debbie Chase:
"Now that I have thoroughly confused you, and blown long time dearly held ideals of absolute truths, we will look at the steels themselves.
Quote (from Codger, I think):
“High Carbon Cutlery Steel”, at least in the case of Imperial Schrade Old Timers and Uncle Henry knives so blessed, refers to AISI 1095HC. It has a carbon content of between .95% and 1.05%, Magnesium 0.30-0.50%, Phosphorus (max.) 0.040%, sulphur (max.) 0.050% according to ladle samples. “Famous for both it’s edge hold ability and resharpening ease. One of the charactoristics of this steel is that it will darken or discolor with use, especially if used on meats or fruits. Care must be taken with a carbon steel knife to prevent rust. The blades should be kept dry and lightly oiled occasionally.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie Chase, Schrade CSR 12/06/04
The feeling by many knife users that the rust and discoloration of high carbon steel was an inconvenience was most definitely the reason for the introduction of stainless steel. While most avid users preferred the high carbon steel and honestly felt that the steel wasn’t a good steel until it was seasoned (darkened and discolored) properly, there was always quite a number of people writing in to complain that the steel must be a very poor steel, because they couldn’t slice their apples without it rusting....
“Schrade+” steel was actually a trademarked name used for at least two different stainless steel alloys. First was 440A. Then a change was made to 420HC. As of this time, there is conflicting information about when this change took place, but it seems to have been sometime after the 2000 production year. Stainless steel is just as it’s name implies... it “stains less”, but will still discolor or rust to some extent if not properly cared for. Both carbon and stainless blades were heat treated to 56-59 Rockwell.
Every knife enthusiast/user has their own opinion as to which blade steel is best, and which characteristics are most important to them. I’ll not delve into that can of worms here, but to say that my preference is carbon steel. Whatever your preferences, you should be able to find a carbon bladed Old Timer, or a stainless one, if that is what you like. It just takes some searching. Best clues for a carbon steel Old Timer is to try to get one new in an older package, pre 1997 or so. Or buy one with the beginnings of patina, easily removed if you like shiny blades.
A few later knives were made of exotic metals like true forged stainless (BTO1), ATS34 (Spitfire), CM154 (Original Loveless design), and if I remember correctly, the D’holders were of a custom steel/process (my [Tongueriver] insertion here: It was BG-42).
This is my best effort to flesh out the answer to the question of Schrade steels, borrowing liberally from forum resources. Build on this guys.
EDIT: Recently acquired evidence suggests that 420HC SS was introduced, at least partially, in 1998 when they began using fine blanking on the LB7 production. If it was like most other changes in production, it was not like turning off one faucet and turning on another, the change was most likely gradual, what is called a "running change". And of course there is almost always a lag between when production began and shipping began. -Michael Little
Schrade+ steel: First was 440A. Then, between 1998 and 2000 they gradually went to 420HC. –Codger."
cody6268

Re: Schrade steels

Post by cody6268 »

Thanks for some clarification on what Schrade+ is--I've seen it all over the place--440A and 420HC were thrown around a lot, with some saying 440C, and yet others saying 7Cr17MOV was used (which was only in the Chinese Taylor models if I'm not mistaken). I have quite a few with that steel, a 3OT, a CH-3 Cliphanger (which gets used hard), and a few of the Tough Tools, and all hold their edge pretty well.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Good info Cal, thanks for sharing it with us.
While being a fan of carbon steel, I have of often marvled at the Schrade+ steel; it's ease of sharpening and its edge retention. I think it is interesting to note that 420HC is the steel in the current production Buck 110 which performs nicely.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
AR Norby

Post by AR Norby »

I have several Uncle Henry's made in the late 90's and an Old Timer 98OT Ramrod made about the same time all use Schrade+ steel. Whether 44A or 420HC they all take and hold an edge quite well. The 98OT is one of my favorites.
Perception is Reality

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”