The first 858OT... stainless or not?

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
gwelker62

The first 858OT... stainless or not?

Post by gwelker62 »

The first 858s that were sold do not have the + stamp next to Schrade denoting stainless steel. However, I have two of them and every one I've seen pics of show no signs of tarnish. What say ye, stainless or not for the first gen 885?
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: The first 858OT... stainless or not?

Post by Shearer »

As far as I know they are stainless.It seems Schrade did not put the + stamp on some of the early stainless Old Timers.

Grant
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I think that the 51OT "Big Timers" are the same way. Anybody test these two with a bluing touch up pen or other chemical reaction? I also would like some stronger evidence on both patterns.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Both the 51OT and the 858OT appear first in the 1978 catalog. Incidentally in that catalog I noticed that they use the term Schrade + steel in reference to the Uncle Henry line. That is the first time I have noticed that term used in the catalog, although that is not an exhaustive search, merely an offhand observation.

Both the 51OT and the 858OT were introduced in flyers printed in 1977 and in the flyers the blade steel in both knives were referred to as “finest high carbon tool steel.” From my experience the term “high carbon steel” is usually used in reference to a stainless steel. You wouldn’t use that term in reference to carbon steel because “high carbon, carbon steel” would be redundant and unnecessary.
SC-77-9.jpg
SC-77-10.jpg
Personally I have not seen either a 51OT or and 858OT in carbon steel.
That in itself is not conclusive proof that they don't exist, just that I have not seen one.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
tallguy606

Post by tallguy606 »

Hope I'm not hijacking this topic. The green/yellow Remington series knives made by Camillus (9501, 9502, etc) say on the box High Carbon. I always understood that to mean carbon steel, not stainless. Does anyone know what steel this series was made with?
gwelker62

Post by gwelker62 »

Been reading up on steel types and possible choices Schrade made. From what I understand, if it's high carbon steel it's not stainless. Here are some links.

https://www.bladehq.com/cat--Steel-Types--332

viewtopic.php?t=20391
Scrade steel used.JPG
Scrade steel used.JPG (40.23 KiB) Viewed 1109 times
and a nice dissertation from Codger

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/sch ... ls.378164/

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”