H.W. Schrade-IXL Texas Stockman

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
kootenay joe

H.W. Schrade-IXL Texas Stockman

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is a Schrade-IXL "Texas Stockman" from 1980 that was customized by Herman Williams in 2009.
This 4 3/4" Stockman is an old IXL Wostenholm pattern going back at least 100 years. I bought this from Herman and understood that this was the only one of this pattern that he had worked on.
I would like to know if this is still a 'rare' Herman Williams. Have you seen other examples of this knife customized by Mr. Williams ?
kj
Attachments
IMGP3482.JPG
IMGP3483.JPG
IMGP3484.JPG
tongueriver

Re: H.W. Schrade-IXL Texas Stockman

Post by tongueriver »

The first knife was done by Herman. I have a letter in which he discusses these knives at length and suggests that he may or may not have done the second one. Roland don't sell your knife 'short.' It is a full 4 7/8 inches long! The smaller knife here is an 834 SW in bone, @ 3 5/16 inches closed.
Herman IXL001.jpg
Herman IXL002.jpg
IXL jumbo stag001.jpg
IXL jumbo stag002.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks Calvin. So with the 'signature' Herman Williams handles there are at least 2. Likely there are a few more, but i believe he did not do many of these big, 4 7/8" Stock knives. It actually would make for a great belt sheath carry outdoor work knife, for farmer, rancher, forestry man. It's big but not too big like the 6" closed Schliepers.
kj
Rusty1

Post by Rusty1 »

Mmm, I have one as well, auction win from we all know where.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

H'mmm, maybe Herman did more than just 3 of this Texas Stockman since we have 3 in just this small group here at AAPK.
Rusty do you have a picture of this knife that you could post ?
kj
Rusty1

Post by Rusty1 »

I will post pics tonight, at work right now.
Rusty1

Post by Rusty1 »

Pics of my Schrade IXL Herman Williams Stockman from 2009.
Attachments
D8B6DA51-CD6D-4CB3-B571-3B7781200A7B.jpeg
755858EB-47AE-47A7-A621-66D56D76B8EB.jpeg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks Rusty. Herman definitely used some of his best Stag for handling these Texas Stockman knives. Yours is a Beauty !
Now i think it likely that i mis-understood Herman regarding the number of these big Stock knives that he re-handled. Seems likely that there are more than just a 'few'.
kj
Rusty1

Post by Rusty1 »

Thank kj! I was glad to secure a copy of this model to go with the regular wood handled version.
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Nice very Nice!
Keep Near the Cross.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Nice, yes & big too. One of these would go well with all your Rough Riders Delta. Maybe you need a Schrade-Wostenholm "Texas Stockman" ? Standard handles are a good hardwood, cocobolo ?
kj
bladecollectorr

Post by bladecollectorr »

Great looking knives in this thread! I hadn't gotten around to getting an example of this 1980 Texas-sized biggun but it was always on my wish-list. These stag examples are extra-nice.

One just came up for auction that really tweaked my interest and I just successfully landed it. I think it fits in well with these great stag customs. I have never seen another like it.

Dark red jigged bone with blank oval shield and a wharncliffe blade instead of the sheepfoot. No etch on main blade. Seller tells me there is nothing written inside on the liners but I will double-check when I get it.

I messaged Herman Williams about it and he was kind enough to reply that he could only recall doing some of these in stag such as the ones shown here.

To me the bone and pins do look a lot like the stock, normal factory production BS-60 IXL stockman so I'm also wondering if it's a production sample. end-of-days or "lunch-box" type factory custom. I will likely never know the answer but I think I will like it a lot when it arrives. I've never had a stockman this big. It will dwarf the 8OT I often use.

Any comments welcome. Have you seen another like it?
04.jpg
05.jpg
06.jpg
01.jpg
03.jpg
I don't always respond to great posts but I always appreciate seeing them. Thanks for posting! ::tu::
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

That's a great knife. It is definitely NOT Herman's jigging. Looks, as you say, like the IXL bone of the day, along with the 1978 runs of muskrats, Bisons, etc. commissioned by Parker. Much bigger chunk of bone, however. Love your knife. A wharncliffe mystery for sure.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

for historical reference, here is the inspiration for the later (or concurrent?) collaboration knives.
GW3.jpg
bladecollectorr

Thanks for your insight and for posting the "Oil the Joints" oldie for reference.
I don't always respond to great posts but I always appreciate seeing them. Thanks for posting! ::tu::
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Here is some bone that would be in that same time frame and circulating in the same social circles.
IXL small stockman001.jpg
and another one.
Bison002.jpg
bladecollectorr

I went straight to lrv site for a comparison and his pictured example looks more like the 2nd one you posted. There was always some variation to how the bone took the dye so it seems. Same dye variation thing with the Tradesman series from same era and the little-bit later Heritage knives. http://collectors-of-schrades-r.us/IXL/pages/BS-60.htm
BS-60.jpg
04.jpg

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”