Schrade Scrimshaws

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
Beag1eGal

Schrade Scrimshaws

Post by Beag1eGal »

Good Morning All.
I was wondering if you all can direct me to any information on how to date Schrade Scrimshaw knives? I have seen lists with the fish and animals listed and dates, but you have 2 or 3 different years that have bass, or trout and I don't know how to know one from another.
Thank you all
tongueriver

Re: Schrade Scrimshaws

Post by tongueriver »

Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

If you have really good eyesight or a magnifying glass, many of the scrimshaw knives have the date on them. Usually next to the signature in the image. Or, if you have the paperwork that came with them you will find the date. This list of "The Great American Outdoor" series knives compiled by Levine's Guide To Knives, is accurate accept that the 1986, 503 Steelhead is actually a Walleye. I can help you with the trout knives confusion since I have them all except the colored one which is a rare one. And then there are some limited editions and special factory order knives that aren't on the list.
Attachments
Great American Outdoor Series
Great American Outdoor Series
SC503 Trout, Fly '79
SC503 Trout, Fly '79
SC503 Trout, Fly Rod '82
SC503 Trout, Fly Rod '82
SC503 Trout, Fly-Water '84
SC503 Trout, Fly-Water '84
SC503 Trout, Fly-Water '84 Color, (rare)
SC503 Trout, Fly-Water '84 Color, (rare)
SC503 Trout, Spoon '90
SC503 Trout, Spoon '90
SC503 Trout-FlyFisherman '91 Listed as, 'Fisherman', I consider it part of my trout collection.
SC503 Trout-FlyFisherman '91 Listed as, 'Fisherman', I consider it part of my trout collection.
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

Here are a couple examples of limited edition knives and a special factory order. You can also buy complete sets for a particular year. Like this one from 1996.
Attachments
SC503 Eagle.JPG
LTD Ring Neck Pheasants
LTD Ring Neck Pheasants
SC515 Bald Eagle+Pine Cones.JPG
SC515 Bald Eagle+Pine Cones (2).JPG
'96 Scrimshaw Set (5).jpg
'96 Scrimshaw Set (4).JPG
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

Is the scrimshaw work on these knives done by hand or is it laser created?
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

Hot stamped, then inked.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

But.... There are a tiny handful of 'real' scrimshaw Schrades, on real bone. Not too many have seen this grand daddy barlow in wooden presentation case with papers, but, remarkably, it is available.
Stuyvesant001.jpg
Stuyvesant002.jpg
Stuyvesant005.jpg
Beag1eGal

Post by Beag1eGal »

Wow!! There is a lot to this, but so much fun! Thank you so much for all the help!

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”