Schrade's Middletown, NY factory

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
KnifeSlinger#81

Schrade's Middletown, NY factory

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Is there any literature or records regarding the middletown ny factory that was part of schrade cut co's production? The only thing I know about the factory is its mention in the 1926 catalog. The factory was established in 1917. How long did that factory produce knives? Maybe they shut down during the war?

IMG_3734.PNG
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
tongueriver

Re: Schrade's Middletown, NY factory

Post by tongueriver »

I am embarrassed to say that I never heard of such a place. :oops: :?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middletown,_New_York
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Paul, I was wondering the same thing. I don’t believe the Middletown factory was open long. If I had to guess when the war ended so did a portion of the revenue stream. Maybe other will have more info. Also I believe I have a sheath for the H-15 if you are still looking.
Jay
KnifeSlinger#81

The middletown factory looks much larger than the walden one. I wonder if the majority of schrade cuts came from there after 1917.

Maybe they were shut down in 1946 when schrade was in a near bankrupt state then Baer bought them (which probably saved the brand) and never used the middletown factory after the change of ownership? Of course this is all speculation.
-Paul T.

kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I'm with Calvin on this. Bean Schrade collecting since 1970's and i have not heard of a Schrade factory in Middletown, N.Y.
kj
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

I found this Schrade history on another forum, I don't know who the author of this was.

The Schrade brothers, Louis, William and George, incorporated Schrade Cutlery Company in 1904. As former employees of Walden Knife Company, the brothers were well indoctrinated in the cutlery business and began their own venture in a building about 2,000 square feet in size. The primary goal was, at first, to produce and market the Press Button Knife that had been invented by George a dozen years earlier. George left the growing company in 1910 to pursue other ventures, ultimately forming the George Schrade Knife co. in 1929. Upon his departure, Louis Schrade filled the office of president left vacant by George. The new leader took immediate steps to revolutionize his factory for mass production. In 1915, Schrade purchased the Walden Cutlery Handle Company. This company had been formed by the Schrade brothersʼ company in cooperation with two other New York cutlery firms, New York Knife Company and Walden Knife Company. A second factory in Middletown, New York, was established in 1918 and managed by Joseph Schrade, another brother. This branch was closed in 1932 as a result of the Great Depression, but the parent company would continue to survive and produce knives of superb quality. Its capacity for producing large quantities of quality knives would stand in good stead for the business brought by government contracts during World War II. Schrade Cutlery Company remained under the ownership and leadership of the Schrade family until 1947, when the brothers Henry and Albert Baer of Ulster Knife Company bought the company. The companyʼs name and knife stampings were changed at that time to read Schrade-Walden. Ten years later, production of the companyʼs knives was moved to Ellenville, New York. Although the Walden factory was closed, most of the employees remained with the company and many of them were transported daily by bus from Walden to Ellenville. In 1984 the Imperial Knife Company, also owned by the Baer family, was merged with Schrade-Walden to form the Imperial-Schrade Corporation. After a full century of cutlery production, Imperial-Schrade suddenly closed its doors in 2004 and the companyʼs assets were dispersed. Among the items sold was an extensive “factory collection” of knives which included many beautiful, pristine examples and unusual prototypes that were never produced for sale. Ironically, Schradeʼs closure and the subsequent sale of the factory collection has done much to raise awareness of the brand among collectors, and interest in vintage Schrade knives is now at n all-time high.Itʼs almost cutlery tradition that a good brand survives, and thatʼs the case with Schrade as well. Schrade, Schrade-Walden, and related trademarks are now owned by Taylor Cutlery of Kingsport, Tennessee, which carries on the Schrade tradition of fairly priced traditional working knives with a line of the companyʼs old patterns imported from China, as well as higher quality American made knives. Schradeʼs earliest knife stampings is the rarest to be found. Used at the time of the companyʼs founding, it is SCHRADE CUTCO. WALDEN, N.Y. GERMANY and it dates to about 1904.The next marking was SCHRADE CUT CO, in an arch over WALDEN, N.Y. in a straight line. Although no records can be found showing how long this marking was used, it is believed to have been up until the World War I era. The straight-line “Schrade Cut Co.” marking was adopted after World War I and was used until 1947 when the company was sold. Markings reading SCHRADE WALDEN were then used until 1973, when they were changed to SCHRADE NY USA or SCHRADE USA, both accompanied by the knifeʼs pattern number. Many other marking variations were used from the early 1970ʼs until 1994 on contract knives and for special limited edition sold by Schrade, such as SW CUT USA. Among Schradeʼs famous brand names were and are OLD TIMER, introduced in 1958 for carbon steel bladed knives, and UNCLE HENRY, used on stainless steel knives since 1965 and named for Henry Baer. Through the years, Schrade has used practically every popular handle material on its knives. The favorite for collectors, however, has been bone and other natural materials. Bone handles used during the 1920-1965 era are commonly referred to as “peach seed bone,” due to the materialʼs resemblance to a dried and cut peach seed, and are especially favored. This bone, usually dyed a medium tan to brown color, was made for Schrade by the Rogers Manufacturing Company until its factory burned in 1961. The company made very few bone handled knives after that. Even though peach seed bone has a distinctive appeal all its own, knives made by Schrade and handled in red bone and smooth tan bone are considered by collectors to be much rarer. From the mid-1960s to 1978, Schrade did not produce any bone-handled knives, but used Delrin or man-made materials instead. In 1978, several different bone handled knives were produced on contract for Parker-frost Cutlery Company. Approximately 6,000 knives were produced in each of green, red and brown bone and these knives were stamped “Schrade” on the rear tang. In 1983, Schradeʼs own knives handled in genuine bone were reintroduced in the companyʼs “Heritage” series. By the mid-1980s, these knives were dropped from the Schrade line. In addition to its own extensive line, Schrade manufactured knives under contract for a large number of other companies during its century long existence. These included several major hardware distributing firms such as Shapleigh Hardware and Hibbard Spencer and Bartlett as well as other establishments desiring their own line of private branded cutlery such as Coast Cutlery, L.L. Bean, and Buck Knives, as well as the before mentioned Parker Frost Cutlery. Schrade also was a major producer of commemorative knives and played a major role in building the popularity of commemoratives during the “early days” of the 1970s. They were produced by the thousands, but with special issue such as The Minuteman, Paul Revere, Liberty Bell, Jim Bowie, Will Rogers, Service Series, Buffalo Bill, and Custerʼs Last Fight found homes with many would-be knife collectors. While the companyʼs aim was profitable sales and collectors were a means to that end, its activities proved a benefit to the collector movement, as the general public was made aware of limited-edition knives as collectibles. Because of the number produced, 18,000 to 24,000, most of those knives sold over thirty years ago are valued in the collector market at prices only slightly higher than their retail price at issue. This listing of Schrade knives consists of those produced from 1904 to 1947, stamped “Schrade Cutlery Co., Walden, N.Y.” Many hundreds of patterns were produced by this large pocketknife manufacture. The serious collector of Schrade Cutlery knives will want to locate a copy of the reprinted Catalog E and Supplements (now out of print), which pictures and describes knives made during the late 1920ato the mid 1930s, and is of great benefit. During the era of the Schrade-Walden stamping, 1948 to 1973, a good share of knives produced was patterned and produced just as their predecessor were. Although a three-digit numbering system was adapted, the number of many of those early knives was taken from the Schrade Cut era. Knives produced during the first ten years of this period are becoming popular with collectors as the Schrade Cuts and, in general their values are at least 80% of those of older knives. When Schradeʼs knife production moved in 1957 from the Walden factory to the Ulster factory in Ellenville, construction changes included a switch from bone to Delrin and to different blade finishes. Knives produced during this later portion of the Schrade-Walden era are generally worth less than half that of knives from the early Schrade-Walden era.
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks for posting this history of "Schrade".
So from 1918-1932 Schrade Cut Co. knives were made in the Middletown, N.Y. factory as well as in the Walden, N.Y. factory. What is not stated is how much work was done at each location. During this time, what proportion came from Middletown ?, some, most, or nearly all ?
kj
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

I think maybe that factory was re-opened during the war?? I have heard that the some of the Kingston knives made for the war were made in Middletown. Does anybody have any info on this??
KnifeSlinger#81

Excellent work Doug!
-Paul T.

tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

tongueriver wrote:I am embarrassed to say that I never heard of such a place. :oops: :?

I still don't know the exact location of this factory. Anyone?
I found an article on the Rogers Bone factory which is not the same as provided by Bernard Levine. It was actually a comprehensive treatise on button manufacturing in Connecticut. It confirmed that the bone factory burned in 1961. I have read reliable accounts concerning Schrade Walden's use of cover materials on pocket knives in the period from say... 1957 until Delrin took over in say.... 1961, that suggested that Schrade was having trouble furnishing bone covers WELL BEFORE 1961. Interesting. Why? I see in the article referred to in the above post by anonymous author that the Baers took over in 1947. Michael Little's research suggested that they bought the company in December of 1946. In this article I also see dates that appear to be consistently about one year off, plus or minus, depending (One example is Old Timer introduced in 1958; I don't think this happened until 1959 at the very earliest. Another statement: "Schrade Walden stamping 1948 to 1973" should be 1947 to 1973"?) I don't know; maybe everything is 100% accurate in this article, but I see so much sloppy reporting on every front these days, I think the spotty info on the Middletown factory aforementioned is subject to further research. I would certainly like to know more!
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

tongueriver wrote:
tongueriver wrote:I am embarrassed to say that I never heard of such a place. :oops: :?

I still don't know the exact location of this factory. Anyone?
I think the spotty info on the Middletown factory aforementioned is subject to further research. I would certainly like to know more!
Sorry to paraphrase your post TR but I found something that will help figure it out.
According to this link: https://books.google.com/books?id=-SodA ... ty&f=false
The facility was in the center of Middletown in the former buildings of National Saw Co..

I have not been in Middletown in perhaps 25 years so I couldn't say what (if anything) is left of the facility but this info will help. Google maps (street view) can post exactly where the company was located, and will most likely show a Mickey D's or a Rite Aid there now.
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Middletown is maybe 15 miles from Walden and there is nothing left of the Schrade factories in either place. I regularly attend gun and knife shows in Middletown and there are a few old factories left there but none as large as the old Schrade factory. All the old knife factory buildings along the Wallkill river in Walden are gone too sadly.
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

Here is timeline of Schrade that I have in my records...as to it's accuracy?

1904- The Schrade Brothers start Schrade Cutlery Company (Schrade Cut Co) in Walden New York.

1916- Michael and Felix Mirando start Imperial Knife Company in Providence, RI in a blacksmith shop owned by a cousin.

1917- The first Imperial pocket knives were made and sold to The Hayward Co. of Attleboro Massachusetts.

1917- Imperial grew and moved to Blount Street.

1921- Imperial had grown and now Employed 100 people and occupied an entire floor at the Blount Street location.

1938- Imperial introduces the Jackmaster line of knives.

1941- Albert Baer bought Ulster Knife Company in January 1941.

1941- Imperial converted to full wartime production.

1943- During WWII Ulster and Imperial began a cooperative effort for the production of military contract knives.

1944- Planning ahead for the post war cutlery market, Albert & Henry Baer in partnership with Imperial and Foster Grant Company establish Cuchilleria Imperial of Mexico, their first international venture.

1945- Kingston Cutlery Co. was formed by the Baer, Fazzano & Mirando families. The Kingston name was an old brand name owned by Ulster. Kingston was closed after the war, but the name used until about 1958. This was advantageous at the time as Kingston received a ration of materials that were in short supply during the war, like brass. Bigger allotments, or more allotments meant they could produce more knives for the military.

1945- Vulcan Safety Razor Company was formed for the manufacture of stainless steel; safety razors. Vulcan was a subsidiary of Kingston Cutlery Company.

1946 Imperial International Corp. was formed for the purpose of exporting products manufactured by the Kingston Group.

1946- Imperial enters the housewares market with a line of steak knives and soon expands into a full line of kitchen cutlery and tools.

1947- Albert and Henry Baer bought Schrade Cut Co. & changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery Corp. It became a division of Imperial Knife as Mr. Baer had merged his Kingston Cutlery Co, Ulster Knife Co, & the newly purchasedSchrade Cut Co with Imperial.

1947- Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC), was formed and all interests of the Baer, Fazzano & Mirando groups became subsidiaries of the new parent company.

1948- The first Imperial stainless steel flatware was produced and sold to Sears, Roebuck and Co.

1950- Imperial acquired New Method Plating Co., specializing in industrial barrel plating and changed its name to Imperial Plating Co.

1951- Imperial helped develop the grinding and finishing processes for rotor and stator blades used by General Electric for military jet engines. Imperial became a large supplier of military items during the Korean War.

1957- Fire in the Walden factory

1958- Schrade Walden & Ulster consolidated and moved to the Ellenville NY in the old Channel Master factory.

1959- Schrade Walden introduces a line of knives known as Old Timer.

1960- Gerlinol Co. of Solingen Germany was formed for the manufacture of household cutlery for the Common Market.

1961- Richards Imperial of Sheffield England was formed for distribution in the UK.

1963- Albert Baer bought the remaining stock of Camillus Cutlery Company that was held by the Kastor family and the Wallace family, after the death of Alfred Kastor, the son of Adolph Kastor. Albert Baer owned Camillus separate from his holdings in Imperial Knife Associated Companies.

1965- Imperial acquired a major interest in Durol, France’s leading manufacturer of household cutlery and kitchen tools.

1966- Imperial and J. A. Henckel of Solingen Germany formed J.A. Henckel-Imperial GmbH of Solingen Germany for the manufacture and distribution of cutlery and related items.

1966- Imperial International Corp. moved into its new warehouse and packaging plant in Smithtown, Long Island NY.

1966- Sears, Roebuck and Co. awards Imperial its “SYMBOL OF EXCELLENCE”, a tribute to all employees of Imperial.

1973- Walden is dropped from the Schrade Walden name & the name is changed to Schrade.

1978- Albert Baer bought the Jowika factory in Listowel Ireland. It produced the Jackmaster knives, other shell handled knives as well as other less expensive knives.

1983- Albert Baer continued to buy stock in Imperial. By 1983 he owned all the shares of Imperial and it becomes a privately held corporation.

1985- Albert Baer changed the name Imperial Knife Associated Co. to Imperial Schrade Corp.

1985- The Ulster name is used on some Scout Knives that were made in the Camillus factory. This is the last use of the Ulster name I have yet been able to document.

2003- About 18 months before the closing of the Schrade factory in Ellenville NY, the Imperial factory in Listowel Ireland was closed.

2004- Imperial Schrade Corp. closes on July 30.

2004- October; the remaining merchandise and all assets of Imperial Schrade Corp. are sold at bankruptcy auction. Stewart Taylor of Taylor Brands LLC purchases the intellectual property of Imperial Schrade Corp. including names & designs.

2005- Taylor Brands LLC begins bringing Chinese made knives with the Schrade name on them, including Old Timers & Uncle Henrys.

Imperial Schrade became the vast cutlery empire of Albert Baer that eventually included ventures in Mexico, Germany, UK, France, Canada, Ireland and likely other countries.
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

And a history of George Schrade

George Schrade and his accomplishments to the Knife Industry
By George M. Schrade

Text from the book by the same name.

I can still remember, how, as a young boy, I would sit and listen in awe as my father would tell me the stories about his grandfather, George Schrade. Of his many inventions, his greatest was probably the switchblade knife. George Schrade was born in Williamsport, Pennsylvania, on February 13, 1860. He was the son of Jacob L. and Henrietta Hiem Schrade. As a young boy he learned the toolmaker and machinist trades. He loved working on mechanical projects and solving problems that stumped other people. During the mid 1880s, in New York City, he conducted an experimental shop. For about ten years of that time, he was connected with making models that the United States patent office required with all patent applications. In this small shop he set his ideas to work. He was an able inventor of his time and had many inventions to his credit. They were the drill gauge, the player piano, the dime bank, saws on centers, weaver scissors, the shielding machine, cutlery machines, and the switchblade knife. The switchblade knife was the invention that he pursued. His first knife had a button set into the bolster, and when it was pushed, the blade would automatically spring open. G. Schrade started the Press Button Knife Company in 1893. He operated from a small shop in New York City, which employed about one dozen men. His production was not up to par and he was having difficulty finding good cutlers. He met a man named Edward Whitehead, President of Walden Knife Company. Mr. Whitehead liked Schrade's knife, and so he talked G. Schrade into moving to Walden to set up his operation. As part of the agreement, the Walden Knife Company bought an interest in the Press Button Knife Company and set up the
production factory for switchblade knives, with George Schrade as superintendent. Under the supervision of George Schrade, the company made many patterns ranging from a large folding hunter pattern to a small pocket knife. He sold his patent to Walden Knife Company in 1903, and moved to East Main Street in Walden to start his own knife company. In 1904, the Schrade Cutlery Company was started by George Schrade, along with
his brothers J. Louis and William Schrade. For two years, he produced a quality line of pocket knives. Then in 1906, he developed an improved switchblade knife, incorporating an automatic spring and a lock on the blade. It had a safety slide which enabled the knife to stay locked in an opened or closed position. Before the invention of the lock for the blade this knife had been criticized for being dangerous. In the following year, he improved the means of releasing the blade and locking it when open or shut. Also, this knife had a multiblade push button which could operate with four automatic blades. Once he was established in the knife business, Schrade spent his time inventing cutlery machinery to improve production. Some of these were the neck drawing machine, the heating machine, the knife and shear sharpener, the saws on center, the bone jigger, the bolster, and automatic shielding machine. The shielding machine brought Schrade to Europe. In 1910, while in Sheffield, England, in an effort to introduce his shielding machine to the cutlery industry, he had an interesting experience. He was called upon by Sir Thomas Turner of Thomas Turner and Company Sheffield Cutlers. Sir Thomas had taken a large order for knives from the British Navy on specification. It seems that Sir Thomas' employees had informed him that the composition of the handle, rubber, made it impossible for the knives to be bored for the specified shields. The cutlers were protesting because it was much harder to gouge the shields on the rubber than on the bone or wood. George Schrade installed the shielding machine. It bored out a cavity on the outside covering of a knife to allow the installation of a shield or metal plate. Because of this machine, the Navy got its order of knives on time. However, the machine was objected to by the factory workers because it reduced hand operation. When the contract with the Navy was completed, the cutlers threw off their aprons and went on strike until the shielding machine was removed from the plant. George Schrade and his son George M. Schrade left England and went to Solingen, Germany, where they set up a push-button knife factory. While in Germany, George Schrade designed and patented another type of automatic knife. It is known as the springer knife, which is manufactured in Germany today. I have been told that he sold his patent to a German company. The steel for the blades from Solingen was the best for keeping a cutting edge. This is why he set up a factory there. He also made scales for pocket knives. They were in Germany for four years. The German government confiscated all their equipment and raw material for use in the war effort. They were forced to leave the country and leave everything they had behind them. In 1916, he returned to New York with his son, George. Bouncing back from his misfortunes in Europe, Schrade invented another kind of switchblade that same year. He called it the flylock. Schrade moved to Bridgeport, Connecticut, in 1919, and went to work for the Challenge Cutlery Company. In 1921, his son George joined him there. In the following year, Schrade invented a snap on rubber heel. They manufactured these heels and the flylock knife at 461 Seymour Street. Schrade sold his rights to the flylock to the Challenge Company and manufactured it for them. From 1925 to 1929, they made the flylock under the Challenge name. In 1929, the Challenge Company ran into financial trouble and went bankrupt. In return for monies owed for the rights to the flylock, my grandfather was given some cutlery machinery. This enabled him to start his own business in 1929, which was called the George Schrade Knife Company of Bridgeport, Connecticut, using the Presto logo.
He attracted attention by appearing before the United States District Court at New Haven, Connecticut, acting as his own counsel. The Schrade Cutlery Company of Walden, New York, brought suit, claiming infringement of a patent on one of the articles that Schrade had claimed to have invented himself, and which the company that bore his name claimed as its own. The case was dismissed and the plaintiff ordered to pay the costs. The patent on which the suit was brought was declared invalid. Schrade's main defense was that the patent had run out, and his familiarity with the basic invention made it possible for him to defeat one of the best known law firms who appeared for the plaintiffs. The George Schrade Knife Company was built from a few pieces of cutlery machinery and a few good cutlers who came from Walden, New York, to work for George Schrade. The company struggled throughout the depression. When the economy picked up, so did the George Schrade Knife Company. The new push button
pull balls and wire jacks gave them an edge on the competition. Because of his constant new designs, Schrade was able to file many patents.
The first patent for the wire jack was granted on September 21, 1926. Most knives have many parts and hours of assembling time, but this knife was
practical, economical, and of simple construction. The knife was made of two pieces of welded wire, a blade, liner and rivet. The 1926 wire jack did not have a sheet metal guard in the butt portion of the knife. It was introduced later to protect the fingers from being cut and protecting the blade. Since the knives were so inexpensive, they were used primarily for advertising and scouting. The advertising knives were etched on the blades and the knives were usually painted with an enamel paint on the metal guard in various colors. The knife was also used in scouting. Boy Scout kits were red and Girl Scout kits were green, and each consisted of a knife, fork and spoon. These kits came in leather and vinyl pouches. The wire jack knives range from a small two and one-half inch spear and pruner with a bottle opener to a large fishing knife with a fish scaler. The 1926 patent was granted to my great-grandfather George Schrade. The 1942 and 1952 patent was granted to his son, George M. Schrade. These original
patents will explain the differences. George M. Schrade son of George Schrade was a chip-off-the-old block. He had five patents credited to his name. A 1923 patent on a removable blade which was granted in both names and a 1930 push button, 1944 pull ball and 1942 and 1952 wire jack.
In 1937, George Schrade introduced a new design of fly-open knives on one or more blades. This design was introduced so it could be operated easily with one hand and to prevent its accidental release while carried in the pocket. One of these, called the flying jack, had a sliding latch mounted on the side, which could be produced with one or more blades. Another type, called the pull ball operated from the butt end of the handle.The pull ball came in a variety of latch ends, for example, dice, rings, eight balls, or different colors. They were manufactured for Remington, and known as
quick point and Case No. 4217. In 1940, George Schrade was granted another patent on his push button. This design was complex compared to his other patents. In 1944, George M. Schrade, the son of George Schrade senior, redesigned the pull ball. The object of the invention was to provide certain safety features, whereby the knife blade would not be casually released because of looseness of the parts or because of carelessness in closing the blade. At Schrade's death on September 9, 1940, he employed thirty-five men. The business was then taken over by his son George M. Schrade, and his grandson Theodore Schrade. The business began to tool up for the war, and at one time, employed one hundred people. The company made a knife for the paratroopers. It was a large push button knife with a four and one-half inch blade, and was called "the Commando."
Throughout the years, George Schrade Knife Company sold royalties to other knife companies or took them out on contract themselves. Some of the companies were Remington and Case. Soon after the war, the cutlery business began to slow down. Cutlers were scarce and there was no new blood replacing them. At the time there was an influx of inexpensive Japanese imports. Due to the controversy over the danger of the switchblade, laws were being passed prohibiting their use and sale. Because of all these factors, my grandfather and father decided to sell the business. In 1956, H. Boker Knife Company bought the George Schrade Knife Company. The company continued for the next two years under the Boker name, and run by
Theodore Schrade. In 1958, the business ended. All the machinery was auctioned off. The building still stands today. I have some of the knives made by the George Schrade Knife Company and the memories of my father, grandfather, and great-grandfather which I am sharing with you. I would like to end this story by saying that the switchblade was not invented for criminal use or for self-defense. It was invented for convenience so that
men would not break their fingernails. A true knife lover knows that the switchblade was a great invention which should never have been outlawed. I hope some day this law is repealed and the switchblade will be put on the market again. I have truly enjoyed putting this book together and hope that my readers will enjoy reading it, too. It is especially important to me to know that knife lovers and collectors understand and appreciate the role my great-grandfather played in the cutlery industry.
americanedgetech

I hope this post is not taken as disrespectful to anyone... What I find fascinating is the fact that there is so little CONFIRMED information on , where when, whom, and how MANY knives were produced.
It does not seem to matter what brand or country they came from. Many "brands" have convoluted histories. Even the current makers of that "brand" have little evidence that is more convincing than that of what many collectors have. ::shrug::

This is the mind set that (IMHO) prevents most people from even caring about collecting knives in general. At LEAST this statement holds true for me.
I have seen that the hunt for facts on any particular knife is as / if not more meaningful than the knife itself.
I'm not certain but I think that this tracking of history is my attraction to collecting/buying/selling.

My buddies may not care at all but "I" think the value is in the research, and the history.

If no one here knew that National Saw Co. was the original facility that Schrade later occupied... I am thrilled to follow the rabbit hole. and find where it ends. (well I guess that is China).

I grew up 3 houses away from where Bakelite was invented in Yonkers. I didn't know this until I was 18-19, and read the book on Bakelite.
That is my point.

Edit: Dweb, sir...
Copy/Pasted! The folders grow... ::tu::
Ken Mc.

Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

Ken,

I would agree with your comments. The problem that I have found is that the companies themselves did not keep very good records. I have a lot of information about Schrade that came out of the factory, however, the information is all over the place. I guess it depended upon who was responsible for what areas as far as record keeping, however, there is/was no consistency whatsoever.

I can also say this about Canal Street Cutlery....they made a bunch of knives and if you don't know who to ask, you will never get the info. Fortunately we have AAPK and it's members to rely upon for information....even if it's not always 100%

I think you would also find this is the situation with current companies making knives.

I am very fortunate to have the documents I have, however, what I do have is such a small piece of what was available, that ended up in a landfill somewhere....Dang Shame!

Tom
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The history posted on previous page says 1957 "fire in Schrade factory". Is this correct ? or is it a reference to the fire that burned down the Roger's bone factory ?
kj
americanedgetech

Tom, sir... I think you summed it up!

I never would have thought that companies would not know what their history is/was. I had heart issues trying to keep COMPLETE records of the business"I" have run/owned. I am just ONE guy!

If I had 20 employees... ONE of them would be responsible or FIRED! Stuff happens, Fires, floods, giant spiders, ect...
I don't see how the information is lost. It HAS to be (excuse the word) "incompetent" management or beer money meaning more than company records.

I have records that are hand written from my great grandfathers mining company, (O''Toole Mining 1817-1902) mothers side
Knives? Why is there so little information from major players? Beer money?

It is an interesting topic. 8)

Sorry KJ, I did not mean to post over your very valid question.
Ken Mc.

tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

kootenay joe wrote:The history posted on previous page says 1957 "fire in Schrade factory". Is this correct ? or is it a reference to the fire that burned down the Roger's bone factory ?
kj
The Rogers Bone factory fire was definitely in 1961. I don't know about the other reference.
ea42

Post by ea42 »

I've driven by the old Schrade plant in Middletown many timers. It's on Railroad Ave., which at one time had a railroad alongside but now has a parking lot instead. The main front building remains, and has housed a shoe company for many years but there have been many businesses there since Schrade left. The rear buildings were torn down a few years ago. I don't thing Schrade ever fully occupied all the buildings, but they did occupy the main building and two side wings. Do a search for Middletown Footwear, you'll see a map on the page with hopefully a Google photo that you can enlarge and rotate. This should bring you there, you'll have to drag the screen to the right, which will bring you right to the front corner entrance:

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb ... EQpx8IfjAK

I had some pictures I took a few years back but I'll be darned if I can find them.

Eric

PS- yep, the link works, the page is interactive so you can actually move around the front of the building by clicking and zooming.
KnifeSlinger#81

Eric that is interesting, thank you.
-Paul T.

KAW

Post by KAW »

Sorry for not reading all the way thru these posts as I haven't been here in months & now its late (3 am locally) when I just discovered this thread, but felt compelled to post what I can share. Last summer I did some research on this very subject & while the attached timeline is most likely more information than you may want to know, the factory does have a very interesting history. (just click on the images a couple time to zoom in to make legible... you can also use your browser's zoom function.)...

10554 10555 10556

Now to bed.... but I shall return to finish reading this thread...
'til later....
Ken

10031 means.... never having a dull moment. 8)
KAW

Post by KAW »

If there is still anyone out there that is still interested in Schrade's Middletown factory, I came across this piece of info from the Walden Historical Society's website...

Knife Industries in Walden... excerpts from Old Walden
by String Cooper

When J. Louis Schrade took over the active management new procedures were put into effect. This change of systems made the Schrade shop one of the first to start mass production in knife making. Before that time it was mostly hand work where a cutler made the entire knife. During the years that followed the Schrade Company extended and opened a factory in Middletown under the management of Mr. Joseph Schrade. It was in this plant that the knives were made for the Army and Navy during the First World War. The company employed nearly 200 men in the Walden plant and 75 at Middletown during this period.
'til later....
Ken

10031 means.... never having a dull moment. 8)
Rusty1

Post by Rusty1 »

Resurrecting this thread with a picture of the partially intact Schrade Cut Co Middletown N.Y. Factory.
IMG_4261.jpeg
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

That’s awesome. What street is that??

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”