Post your Slenderino Knives

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
dweb1897

Re: Post your Slenderino Knives

Post by dweb1897 »

Thanks for the good words, the stag knife in the center is a sweetheart. The blades were fairly pitted on that 823 so I'm in the process of hand sanding them.
897 UH FILE WORK.JPG
5. TOP CLOSED.JPG
7. BOTTOM CLOSED.JPG
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Doug I like to imagine uncle henrys with genuine stag from the factory, but that one goes above and beyond.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

Herman once said that it was one of a set he had done for Uncle Henry's Birthday. It was sold as having come from Irv Trachtenberg's collection but it didn't have any written provenance supporting that claim. The inside liner is signed in freehand script, something I've not seen on any other H.W. knife
9. CUSTOMIZED BY HERMAN R. WILLIAMS.jpg
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
UnderDawgAl

Post by UnderDawgAl »

Here's my first and only Slenderino -- the Craftsman 95068, sold by Sears at least during 1976-1981. It's the Sears label for the Schrade 825 pattern. I got this in the mail today from the auction site for just over $12 delivered. Click all the pics to enlarge.
Craftsman 95068 , late 70s to early 80s
Craftsman 95068 , late 70s to early 80s
It is in great shape, with the factory edges nearly as sharp as advertised, but I'll still take the blades to 7000 grit to get them even sharper.
Craftsman 95068 with its Amazing Cutting Action!
Craftsman 95068 with its Amazing Cutting Action!
Here are a couple Sears catalog listings. For the first one below, the catalog has an error. The knife pictured as # 20 matches up with the text description for #21.
Sears Power and Hand Tools Catalog 1976-1977
Sears Power and Hand Tools Catalog 1976-1977
Here's a shot from the 1981 catalog. Looks like I got quite a deal in price compared to then.
Sears Power and Hand Tools Catalog 1981
Sears Power and Hand Tools Catalog 1981
This Schrade pattern, the 825/895/897UH/98OT, and Case's 18 pattern are essentially identical. I have a Case 3318 that I compared to this one. The only real difference is that this one is 1/16" shorter. Still, I'll carry this ~40 year old model and add the Case to my young son's collection.
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

UnderDawgAl, That is a good looking Craftsman. I particularly like the shield. ::tu::
UnderDawgAl

Post by UnderDawgAl »

dweb1897 wrote:UnderDawgAl, That is a good looking Craftsman. I particularly like the shield. ::tu::
Thanks for your comments. You've posted some beautiful knives yourself that certainly best mine by a country mile.

To steal a description from another member either on this forum or that other one, I am a confirmed bottomfeeder! While I would absolutely love to carry a knife in this pattern that dates back to the 40s, 50s, or 60s, my budget tends toward these late 70s-vintage off brands. I don't know how much y'all pay for those nice old knives, but I suspect it's more than I can handle. This is my 3rd Schrade-made Craftsman in the past month, all with factory edges, and I'm out of pocket less than $50 total! ::tu::
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

UnderDawgAl wrote:
dweb1897 wrote:UnderDawgAl, That is a good looking Craftsman. I particularly like the shield. ::tu::
Thanks for your comments. You've posted some beautiful knives yourself that certainly best mine by a country mile.

To steal a description from another member either on this forum or that other one, I am a confirmed bottomfeeder! While I would absolutely love to carry a knife in this pattern that dates back to the 40s, 50s, or 60s, my budget tends toward these late 70s-vintage off brands. I don't know how much y'all pay for those nice old knives, but I suspect it's more than I can handle. This is my 3rd Schrade-made Craftsman in the past month, all with factory edges, and I'm out of pocket less than $50 total! ::tu::
What pattern of knife do you tend to carry?
UnderDawgAl

Post by UnderDawgAl »

dweb1897 wrote:What pattern of knife do you tend to carry?
I carry some type of stockman 95% of the time.

Dress clothes for work or church -- Previously Case 3318 in CV. Now it'll be this Craftsman 95068, starting tomorrow since I just hand sharpened two of the three blades tonight. These two knives are the perfect size for dress pants, they've got a great sheep's foot blade for general tasks, and that Turkish clip is perfect for slicing fruit and whatever meat I carry for lunch. However, recently I've been swapping this up with the Craftsman 95041 (made by Schrade in the tiny jack/peanut pattern). I've been carrying it primarily because I recently bought it and wanted to see if the peanut-sized knife would be to my liking, but it's just a little bit smaller than I prefer, although honestly it suffices for most of my needs.

Outdoor work, at home, around town -- Craftsman 95044 (medium stockman made by Schrade on the 8OT/881 pattern) or Case 6375 large stockman in CV. Both give me a larger, meatier sheep's foot, and I like to have the larger clip blade on hand.
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

I have one similar to the Craftsman above. It does not have the thumbnail cutout though.
Attachments
H897 Heritage Black.JPG
UnderDawgAl

Post by UnderDawgAl »

Mustanger wrote:I have one similar to the Craftsman above. It does not have the thumbnail cutout though.
I like it! I especially like that Schrade shield. You've also posted pics of quite a few others that look superb, and I've enjoyed seeing them.

I'm carrying the Craftsman right now. I gently hand sharpened the clip and sheepsfoot blade last night, getting a nice even edge on both. I'll get the spey blade sharpened by the weekend. We'll see how often I have to polish the brass bolsters and shield since I'll now be carrying it to work everyday. I generally prefer nickel silver bolsters, but the price was right for a near mint knife in a desirable size and blade configuration. I know it has been said before by others, but I really like these Turkish clips on this and Case's 18 pattern. The blade shape suits the frame size and shape very well.

This and similar threads are what set me on the patient search for one.
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

Mustanger, you sure have some fine knives, every one looks factory fresh.
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

Thanks, Doug. I'm in the habit of polishing every new knife with Blue Magic metal polish. That black one shows some leftover Brasso on the covers from when I used to use that stuff. I couldn't see it with the naked eye and after I saw the photo I brushed it off with a toothbrush.

Dawg, I think you will be pleased to find out how well a pocket keeps your knife polished.

This is the Craftsman that I have been carrying lately.
Attachments
897UH 1st Gen Schrade NY Craftsman 9552 (12).JPG
897UH 1st Gen Schrade NY Craftsman 9552 (13).JPG
UnderDawgAl

Post by UnderDawgAl »

Mustanger wrote:Dawg, I think you will be pleased to find out how well a pocket keeps your knife polished.

This is the Craftsman that I have been carrying lately.
I used Flitz on mine. I'll see how it wears, and then, if need be, I'll hit it with some more Flitz later.

That Craftsman 9552 looks great. I would have loved to have found that model in good condition. I'm one who likes carrying and using old tools. I haven't been able to positively nail down the dates, but I'm guessing that one dates to the 1950s or 1960s?
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

UnderDawgAl wrote: I haven't been able to positively nail down the dates, but I'm guessing that one dates to the 1950s or 1960s?
I have a notation with this photo file that says the first year was 1966. I don't know the end date. I do know that it's cousin, the Schrade 897UH was introduced in 1967. Can't remember where I read 1966 for the Craftsman. On one of two forums, I'm sure. ::shrug::
Wally Taylor

Post by Wally Taylor »

I don't know what Slenderino is, but my fave Schrade for 35+ years is this old 233. I know that it's Delrin, but is it still a Slenderino if it's Delrin?
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
And my "new" copy of it:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

Wally, nice 233
Slenderino is a term that is probably only used here on AAPK by Schrade collectors. Generally it refers to the 897 style of knife with the slender turkish clip blade...at least that is my interpretation.
black mamba

Post by black mamba »

I really like this pattern as well, and have several good ones. This butter & molasses Schrade Walden is my favorite.
896Kopen.jpg
896Kpile.jpg
This is a Schrade Walden 897UH from the late 60s with coined liners.
SW897open2.jpg
SW897pile.jpg
SW897coinliners.jpg
Not too common tang stamp on this particularly beautiful 897UH.
UH897open.jpg
UH897pile.jpg
897NYUSAtangstamp.jpg
And here is another of the Craftsman 95068s.
CrafstmanStockman_zpsaf62c3ab.jpg
A 98OT.
98OTopen_zpsbee7ab64.jpg
black mamba

Post by black mamba »

I also have a couple of Camillus made slenderinos.

898UH
898UHopen.jpg
Kabar 1108 (a 4" knife)
Kabar1108open_zps84f72d92.jpg
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

Good looking slenderinos, particularly like that Kabar
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

dweb1897 wrote:Wally, nice 233
Slenderino is a term that is probably only used here on AAPK by Schrade collectors. Generally it refers to the 897 style of knife with the slender turkish clip blade...at least that is my interpretation.
Some years back Hal B (Trailhawk) and I were having a lot of Schrade conversations and one of us came up with that term to describe the 3 9/16 slender frame stockman knives. I like to include the slender 4 inch stockmans under that heading as well, very pocketable with their girlish figure and rounded bolsters. More AAPK proprietary terms would include HOK (honest old knife) and HET! (a corruption of hey!). You might not see these terms outside these hallowed halls. Here is an 861 openstock Schrade that I call a 'slenderino.'
861 Walden001.jpg
UnderDawgAl

Post by UnderDawgAl »

dweb1897 wrote:Good looking slenderinos, particularly like that Kabar
So do I, and the 98OT too.
UnderDawgAl

Post by UnderDawgAl »

tongueriver wrote:
dweb1897 wrote:Wally, nice 233
Some years back Hal B (Trailhawk) and I were having a lot of Schrade conversations and one of us came up with that term to describe the 3 9/16 slender frame stockman knives. I like to include the slender 4 inch stockmans under that heading as well, very pocketable with their girlish figure and rounded bolsters. More AAPK proprietary terms would include HOK (honest old knife) and HET! (a corruption of hey!). You might not see these terms outside these hallowed halls. Here is an 861 openstock Schrade that I call a 'slenderino.'861 Walden001.jpg
Man, that 861 is nice. I'll give you five bucks CASH MONEY for it right now! Otherwise, I'll have to hunt one down.

Thanks for the definitions. I've been wondering what "HET" meant.
AR Norby

Post by AR Norby »

Here's my 98OT along side a 34 OT I love the long slim blade on the 98
Attachments
Schrade 34OT&98OT.jpg
Perception is Reality
black mamba

Post by black mamba »

Thanks dweb and UnderDawgAl, I got the Kabar at a gun show for $25, and think it has the best jigged Delrin handles I've come across
KAW

Post by KAW »

Due to Cal IDing my latest post on "What is Your Latest Old Schrade?" as a slenerino... I just discovered this thread...
really cool knives posted here 8) ::tu::
... and I have a few to add...

an NOS open stock 825RB...

an 825RB with an improvised nail nick (guess this would be considered a factory second)...

an NOS open stock 808Y...

my EDC... a Schrade Walden 234K...

....and the recently acquired Schrade Walden 896K I just posted on the above mentioned thread...
11116 11117

I do like my Butter & Molasses handles... ::groove::
'til later....
Ken

10031 means.... never having a dull moment. 8)

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”