What Schrade RARE knife do you have

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
tongueriver

Re: What Schrade RARE knife do you have

Post by tongueriver »

tongueriver wrote:I looked at this ebay listing for days and just could not decide whether it was bone or not from the seller's pics and description. I decided to take a chance. I had heard since back about 2008 that there were a few 1959-1961 bone 8 OTs made for John Primble Hardware and I have watched ever since. This is the only one I have seen. Got lucky.
Edit: The clip blade and possibly the other blades are not the same manufacture as the early 1959-1961 8OTs. I don't know whether they date to the same time period or not but the grinds are very different. I am thinking possibly furnished by Baer's Ulster or Imperial facility? Comments welcome.
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

tongueriver wrote:
tongueriver wrote:I looked at this ebay listing for days and just could not decide whether it was bone or not from the seller's pics and description. I decided to take a chance. I had heard since back about 2008 that there were a few 1959-1961 bone 8 OTs made for John Primble Hardware and I have watched ever since. This is the only one I have seen. Got lucky.
Edit: The clip blade and possibly the other blades are not the same manufacture as the early 1959-1961 8OTs. I don't know whether they date to the same time period or not but the grinds are very different. I am thinking possibly furnished by Baer's Ulster or Imperial facility? Comments welcome.
Cal I have a Schrade Walden Old Timer with the same grind ,delrin handles.
The knife does not have the 8OT on the back.
The Special Edition Jim Bowe ( S.W Cut JB1 ) and the Keen Kutter (S.W Cut K74 ) have the same blades.
Sorry no pictures at the moment as the battery is flat in camera.

Grant
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

The American Eagle series of full size stockman knives (commemorating American Revolutionary War heroes), made for Parker, were made by Imperial and the blades look like this one. By the way, I have that whole set with matching #s, boxes, etc. and they are available (hehheh).
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

tongueriver wrote:The American Eagle series of full size stockman knives (commemorating American Revolutionary War heroes), made for Parker, were made by Imperial and the blades look like this one. By the way, I have that whole set with matching #s, boxes, etc. and they are available (hehheh).
Do you mean this set. :)

Grant
Attachments
parker 80T 72.JPG
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Shearer wrote:
tongueriver wrote:The American Eagle series of full size stockman knives (commemorating American Revolutionary War heroes), made for Parker, were made by Imperial and the blades look like this one. By the way, I have that whole set with matching #s, boxes, etc. and they are available (hehheh).
Do you mean this set. :)

Grant
yep. ::tu::
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

Here's some info on the American Eagle set put together by Schradenut
The American Eagle Commemorative Series 1776-1976.jpg
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

This is more of a one off oddball than a 'rare' knife. It's a BSA Jubilee knife and I'm going to go out on a limb and use the "P" word here (PROTOTYPE) along with a healthy dose of conjecture - cause that's usually a winning formula. ::tu:: The knife that was ultimately made in 1985 was a run of 12,000 pieces on a brushed lockback frame with engraved brass inserts and custom blade etch. Here's a picture of one from a popular auction site:
orig.jpg
Here's the one I have:
proto1.jpg
proto2.JPG
00000.jpg
00000.jpg (8.26 KiB) Viewed 3112 times
When I saw the 00000 serial number and those 'SS' letters engraved into both inserts my first thought was photo sample or salesman sample. But why would a SFO need that? Then there's the blade etch that reads '1 of 500' instead of 12000. Finally why aren't the inserts brass? They're stainless. So my theory is that the silver looking inserts are representative of sterling silver (which is why it got the 'SS' engraved) and the 1 of 500 means there was a plan to also have a limited 'silver edition' to go along with the standard edition of this knife. That plan fell through and this prototype is all that remains. Like I said - a healthy dose of conjecture. ::shrug::
- Jason
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

Pretty good conjecture I would think.
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

I found this in my files...evidently they made one in sterling and one in 10k gold...click on the pic and it will enlarge and be readable
schrade sfo's.jpg
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Jason, they made three different versions of that knife for Scout's diamond jubilee. 12,000 with brass inserts (your top photo), 500 with sterling silver inserts, and 100 with gold inserts. They were all packaged differently. I shot a couple of quick picks of my silver and gold ones to give you an idea.

The silver insert model was mounted in a wood and pexiglass case, which in turn is mounted in a faux leather hinged box.

The gold model in the fleur de lis was actually mounted on a blue felt frame as well, but I'm missing that part. This one actually belonged to Wally Gardiner, the former president of Schrade. In the 1980's he was actually still a salesman, and secured the order for these knives at a meeting with the Scout leadership in Texas. He got this knife as a thank you gift from Albert Baer, hence the 0000 serial number.

I'm curious as to who might have owned your silver one, the 0000 numbers were often reserved for management. It's definitely not a proto though, it's too far along production wise for that.
Schrade scout knife 75 Ann. 2.jpg
Schrade scout knife 75 Ann..jpg
Eric
ScoutKnives

Post by ScoutKnives »

The production number is odd for sure , I have number 00300
, the inlays are supposed to be silver .

jxr1197 wrote:This is more of a one off oddball than a 'rare' knife. It's a BSA Jubilee knife and I'm going to go out on a limb and use the "P" word here (PROTOTYPE) along with a healthy dose of conjecture - cause that's usually a winning formula. ::tu:: The knife that was ultimately made in 1985 was a run of 12,000 pieces on a brushed lockback frame with engraved brass inserts and custom blade etch. Here's a picture of one from a popular auction site:

orig.jpg

Here's the one I have:

proto1.jpg
proto2.JPG
00000.Jpg

When I saw the 00000 serial number and those 'SS' letters engraved into both inserts my first thought was photo sample or salesman sample. But why would a SFO need that? Then there's the blade etch that reads '1 of 500' instead of 12000. Finally why aren't the inserts brass? They're stainless. So my theory is that the silver looking inserts are representative of sterling silver (which is why it got the 'SS' engraved) and the 1 of 500 means there was a plan to also have a limited 'silver edition' to go along with the standard edition of this knife. That plan fell through and this prototype is all that remains. Like I said - a healthy dose of conjecture. ::shrug::
Attachments
51BA8B87-9EFD-4539-9E62-3E38D5A8E91A.jpeg
7C5AB13C-714B-4798-8844-C116C6084A9B.jpeg
Always looking for Mint pre war scout knives
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

HA! I knew if threw the P word around it would all go sideways! Thanks for the additional info.
- Jason
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

...now where do I find one of those fleur de lis cases?! :)
- Jason
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Great knives and great thread! Thanks to all! I saw one of the gold ones on ebay (maybe last year?); the seller was MIGHTY proud of it. :shock: I have the much more common multi-blade scout knife package that is associated with that Boy Scout anniversary and it is nice, also. And available.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

P1020488.JPG
P1020487.JPG
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

This one is rare enough that I haven't seen another one yet. :D
IMG_0548.JPG
IMG_0550.JPG
IMG_0568.JPG
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
LRV

Post by LRV »

Really nice sample.
thanks for showing.
“A knife in a man’s hand is as precious as a diamond necklace on a woman’s neck” - Michael Mirando I.S.C.
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Fantastic knife Paul, definitely don't see many of those in pearl!

Larry! Good to see you posting, hope all's well in the north country!

Eric
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

917 Sportster
Only in the 1953-54 catalogs
917open.jpg
917back.jpg
917mark.jpg
917pile.jpg
- Jason
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Some great knives shown here today; many thanx! ::tu::
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Wow Jason, amazing! Never seen that one in the wild before.
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

Thanks Cal and Glenn. I passed this one over at first to check the catalogs because I have never seen one before. Luckily at was still available the next day. The catalog says these have red handles so maybe this one's a sample. I'm guessing it belonged to an employee. It's unused and it never even made it out of the neighborhood. The package it came in was postmarked Walden, NY.
- Jason
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

This less-than-perfect example of an SO8814NP just arrived. I don't believe I've seen one of these before - just the older oblique with parallel slanted bolsters. Aside from this and the 1966 Buck I don't think there are any other Schrades with this bolster style. Some Imperials much later on but no other Schrades.
so8814np.jpg
catalog.jpg
obliques.jpg
open.jpg
- Jason
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Great oblique! ::tu:: Here's another one.
oblique003.jpg
oblique004.jpg
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

tongueriver wrote:Great oblique! ::tu:: Here's another one.
^^that's the older oblique I was talking about - I'm jealous!
- Jason

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”