What Schrade RARE knife do you have

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
ea42

Re: What Schrade RARE knife do you have

Post by ea42 »

Dimitri that's an amazing auto! ::tu:: ::tu::

Say, if you really want to put one in your pocket how about trading this one for yours, you know those etches are just so pesky on an EDC! ::nod:: :D :D
Schrade Cut Co saber auto.jpg
Just kidding of course, I KNOW you wouldn't pocket that beauty! I have yet to find one with an etch, nice!!

Eric
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Thanks Lloyd ::tu::
AAPK Janitor
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

ea42 wrote: I KNOW you wouldn't pocket that beauty! I have yet to find one with an etch, nice!!
Thanks Eric, I posted that remark as a joke to see if anyone would catch it!

You know me well my friend, I could never bring myself to use that old beauty :D

Thanks for posting your knife, though no etch it is still in remarkable condition ::tu::
AAPK Janitor
wlf

Post by wlf »

Miller Bro's wrote:
ea42 wrote: I KNOW you wouldn't pocket that beauty! I have yet to find one with an etch, nice!!
Thanks Eric, I posted that remark as a joke to see if anyone would catch it!

You know me well my friend, I could never bring myself to use that old beauty :D

Thanks for posting your knife, though no etch it is still in remarkable condition ::tu::
That’s why I said Whoa .... :D
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

:) ::tu::
AAPK Janitor
gwelker62

Post by gwelker62 »

Here's a somewhat rare Uncle Henry trapper with the Schrade / Stainless / 285UH stamp. I believe that was used for a short time in between the Schrade / Walden and Schrade / NY USA era stamp. It also has the jimped liners like the Walden era trappers.
Attachments
IMAG2582.jpg
IMAG2583.jpg
gwelker62

Post by gwelker62 »

Here's a 8OT with bone scales and threaded bolsters you don't see every day.
Attachments
IMAG1929.jpg
thawk

Post by thawk »

gwelker62 wrote:Here's a somewhat rare Uncle Henry trapper with the Schrade / Stainless / 285UH stamp. I believe that was used for a short time in between the Schrade / Walden and Schrade / NY USA era stamp. It also has the jimped liners like the Walden era trappers.
I've looked at a lot of Schrade knives and this is the first one I've seen with that stamping. I would guess with the box and foam insert it came after the stamp of Schrade NY USA.
Hal
gwelker62

Post by gwelker62 »

thawk wrote: I've looked at a lot of Schrade knives and this is the first one I've seen with that stamping. I would guess with the box and foam insert it came after the stamp of Schrade NY USA.
I'm pretty sure the seller paired it with that box. So it isn't correct for the time period it was made. It probably came in a box with the red or maybe blue faux velvet insert. Plus, it has the jimped liners like the Walden 285. That would indicate post Walden but pre NY USA.
Attachments
IMAG2607.jpg
thawk

Post by thawk »

gwelker62 wrote:
thawk wrote: I've looked at a lot of Schrade knives and this is the first one I've seen with that stamping. I would guess with the box and foam insert it came after the stamp of Schrade NY USA.
I'm pretty sure the seller paired it with that box. So it isn't correct for the time period it was made. It probably came in a box with the red or maybe blue faux velvet insert. Plus, it has the jimped liners like the Walden 285. That would indicate post Walden but pre NY USA.
Good point with the milled liners. It's an interesting stamp. The red velvet lined box would be more appropriate.
Hal
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

It's a pleasure to read through this thread and look at the pictures. Although Schrade is not a focus of my collection I have managed to snag a few. I collect equal end patterns which is what drew me to the R7973 pictured below. Both blades are marked Schrade Cut. Co. Walden N.Y. Not sure if this is a rare Schrade pattern. The Schrade Cut Co R7973 is very comparable to the Case Tested XX 6294J pattern which is somewhat rare in the Case world.
Attachments
Schrade Cut Co R7973 Catalog Picture.jpg
Schrade Cut Co Walden NY R7973
Schrade Cut Co Walden NY R7973
Schrade Cut Co Walden NY R7973 #3 small.jpg
Schrade Cut Co Walden NY R7973 #5 small.jpg
Schrade Cut Co Walden NY R7973 Mark.jpg
thawk

Post by thawk »

I'd say that is pretty rare Ralph. Especially in mint like condition. ::tu::
Hal
gwelker62

Post by gwelker62 »

How about a 4 pin 7OT? 75th Anv edition.
Attachments
IMAG2609.jpg
gwelker62

Post by gwelker62 »

Here is a first year production LB8, S# 2134. The '81 Schrade catalogs refer to it as the Grizzly, and utilized a LB7 blade.
Attachments
IMAG2610.jpg
IMAG2611.jpg
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

RalphAlsip wrote:It's a pleasure to read through this thread and look at the pictures. Although Schrade is not a focus of my collection I have managed to snag a few. I collect equal end patterns which is what drew me to the R7973 pictured below. Both blades are marked Schrade Cut. Co. Walden N.Y. Not sure if this is a rare Schrade pattern. The Schrade Cut Co R7973 is very comparable to the Case Tested XX 6294J pattern which is somewhat rare in the Case world.
Oh my!
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Gwelker nice early lockbacks, both are among the first made in those patterns ::tu::

Eric
ea42

Post by ea42 »

RalphAlsip wrote:It's a pleasure to read through this thread and look at the pictures. Although Schrade is not a focus of my collection I have managed to snag a few. I collect equal end patterns which is what drew me to the R7973 pictured below. Both blades are marked Schrade Cut. Co. Walden N.Y. Not sure if this is a rare Schrade pattern. The Schrade Cut Co R7973 is very comparable to the Case Tested XX 6294J pattern which is somewhat rare in the Case world.
Jerry that's a phenomenal knife, and yes it's quite rare in that condition. :shock:

Eric
knifegnome
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifegnome »

Not sure it's rare,but not common with the fish shield.Schrade Walden.
Attachments
P3091157.JPG
P3091158.JPG
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

knifegnome wrote:Not sure it's rare,but not common with the fish shield.Schrade Walden.
MAN, I like those #292 fisherman's knives! That one is a fine one too! ::woot:: ::tu::
From 1953 to 1955 or'56? Shipped for 3 or 4 years? That's rare enough for me.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Pretty rare and...uh... pretty. ::tu::
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

This 41OT showed up today
full.jpg
mark.jpg
- Jason
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Those 41OTs bring a nice sum when sold, often. They did not make a lot of them; they did also make a Craftsman version. In stainless steel, they are the right size and configuration to be one of the best 'using' knives amongst Schrade's fixed blade offerings. Nice score! ::tu::
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

tongueriver wrote:Nice score! ::tu::
Thanks. This one's in great shape but was well used. It's definitely going to be spending a lot of time with me as an EDC whenever I can get away with toting something bigger than a pocket knife. Hands down the most comfortable Schrade fixed blade I ever picked up.
- Jason
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

I love that 41OT, great all around fixed blade and you are very lucky to have found that one. I am very pleased to have One in my collection, mint condition. I started out with a 496 as a young kid as my first hunting knife and when I hit my upper teens I had a 41OT as a user. Unfortunately I have no idea what ever happened to it. When I first started collecting Schrades, I bought a small collection that had the 41OT in it and have never used it.

Great looking knife and extremely functional.

Congrats

Tom
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is a 3" Schrade Cut Co. three blade senator with stag handles. Don't see many of these. Note how thin the stag is, i.e. well hafted by an experienced cutler
kj

Edit to add: the shiny dot at upper edge of stag is not a handle pin, just an odd reflection of the light. There are 3 pins per side.
Attachments
IMGP4174.JPG
IMGP4175.JPG
IMGP4176.JPG
IMGP4177.JPG
IMGP4180.JPG

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”