Schrade Walden

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
Beag1eGal

Schrade Walden

Post by Beag1eGal »

Good evening. I came across a Schrade Walden yellow handle knife over the weekend and need a little help with some information please.
It is about 4" long, 2 blade, equal end, but different than a muskrat I believe. No model number on it. Can anyone tell me what the pattern is please? Thank you. Photos below
Attachments
0920171445b.jpg
0920171445.jpg
0920171445a.jpg
kootenay joe

Re: Schrade Walden

Post by kootenay joe »

I think this might be a knife made after Schrade USA closed down. The handles look to be a different yellow from the yellow Delrin Schrade & Schrade-Walden used.
After Schrade USA closed in 2004 the new owner of the Schrade name had quite a few knives made in USA (mostly by Camillus) that were exact copies of certain Schrade-Walden patterns and they were handled with yellow Delrin. Your knife might be one of these but a real Schrade collector is needed here to be sure.
kj
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

I'm not wild about the script on the "Schrade" on the shield. Doesn't really remind me of the older Walden ones.

Almost looks like older blades installed into a newer frame, but that's just my opinion.
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

This is a Taylor Brands, "Schrade" knife. Probably made by Camillus but possibly Bear & Sons. It has pin through bolster construction which screams Camillus and the clip blade profile looks like the ones Bear installs on Moore Maker knives. And then, of coarse, Schrade Walden, the real Schrade Walden, from 1946-1973, never made a yellow delrin handled muskrat. And to my knowledge never made a muskrat with a spey blade on it. Moore Maker knife shown as example of Bear made knife.

Edit:
I am also posting a picture of a Camillus made MM muskrat. One can tell the difference between makers by the model number on the tang stamp. Model numbers ending with a B are Bear made knives. People who like MM knives covet the older Camillus knives and they bring a higher price. I have a couple, but no muskrat.
Attachments
3205B
3205B
Beag1eGal

Post by Beag1eGal »

There is no model number on it at all.
Very faint Everlastingly Sharp on blade.
Beag1eGal

Post by Beag1eGal »

It is also more of a dull yellow compared to pictures.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

It is what it is (an old knife maxim) but it is not a Schrade made knife.
kj
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

I don't mean to rub it in but I did a little homework for you. If you search the knife online you can find people that will tell you it is a special, "last of the USA Schrades" and "vintage Schrade Walden". But it's just not true. Those people either know better and are lying or they don't know the difference. It's common with these Taylor Brands LLC knives. The packaging that the knives come in will have small print on it that says Taylor Brands LLC. Or made in China for the knives that are. As far as the color of the handles goes, if you look at your own pictures you will see three different colors on the one knife. After Schrade went out of business in 2004 an importer named Taylor Brands LLC bought most of the patents and copyrights to Schrade. Almost all of the stuff that Taylor sells is made in China. But for a time (I don't know how long or if they still do) they contracted Camillus, Bear & Sons and I believe one other American knife maker to create the "Schrade Walden" knives. They are not exact copies. I have made the mistake of buying a couple early on when I started collecting Schrades in 2006. There is no model number on the knives like yours but if you had the plastic tube that it sells in there would be the model number, SWA787Y. That in itself is a dead giveaway. No Schrade model number ever started with SWA, and as I posted before, Schrade in their 100 years of selling knives never made a yellow delrin handled muskrat pattern. Diligent collectors have amassed tons of information including every catalog, dealers list and sale flyer in existence and there is no yellow delrin muskrat pattern. There is presently at least two sellers on ebay that list the knives for what they are, Taylor Brands. And even they don't have the model number right because they don't have the packaging. An old Worthpoint listing in my search makes a convincing , but false, selling point that the knife is a real Schrade. But it is not! Sorry that I can't tell you that your knife is a rare classic Schrade knife that is worth a lot of money, but it just isn't. Don't let it ruin your day. More experienced collectors than me have been fooled by Taylor Brands at least once and one guy I know of just refuses to admit he got fooled and claims his Taylor knife is a real Schrade Walden. Even though it's obvious that it is a Camillus made knife. Have a nice day! :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Taylor-Brands-K ... SwvOdZozjV

https://www.proxibid.com/aspr/Schrade-W ... d=28521131

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... uskrat-787
Beag1eGal

Post by Beag1eGal »

Oh no, it is fine. I found it for 5 bucks at a flea market. I did think it was an original because a I did not know that Taylor ever made the knives with Schrade Walden, NY USA tang stamp. I like the knife anyways. I appreciate all the information whether I find a great deal or get stung.. It is just plain fun! Thank you all for all your help and information!
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Checking in a little late here; the OP knife was made by Camillus and is microscopically identical to one made by Camillus under their own brand. I once owned one. The only mystery is whether it was made a short time before the Schrade bankruptcy for Schrade, or a short time after the Schrade bankruptcy for Taylor (I tend toward the latter). Camillus made a LOT of knives for Schrade in Schrade's last years, as Baer controlled both companies and it is not always possible to know the fine points of their relationship.

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”