SCHRADE BOWIES

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
dweb1897

SCHRADE BOWIES

Post by dweb1897 »

I posted this on General Knife Discussion but should have posted it here.

Not long after I started collecting Schrades I found AAPK and started learning about the knives I was collecting. It wasn't long after that that I found a post by lt632ret ( viewtopic.php?f=64&t=4135&hilit=TEXAS+RANGER+BOWIE ) that talked about the first 6 wood handled Bowies that Schrade had made as SFO's. It has taken several years to find all 6 and then awhile longer to have Herman Williams re-handle them in German Stag and file worked all but the Texas Ranger. It was left alone because it has a serial number on top of the blade.
0. 6 BOWIES-r.jpg
SMITH & WESSON'S....... TEXAS RANGER'S 150TH ANNIVERSARY
1. 150TH ANNIV TEXAS RANGERS-r.jpg
SAM COLT...... THE GUN THAT WON THE WEST
2. SAM COLT-r.jpg
DANIEL BOONE........HE OPENED THE WAY FOR MILLIONS
3. DANIEL BOONE-r.jpg
GENERAL CUSTER......LITTLE BIG HORN
4. GENERAL CUSTER-r.jpg
BUFFALO BILL CODY
5. BUFFALO BILL-r.jpg
NRA BICENTENNIAL
6. NRA BICENTENIAL-r.jpg
NRA BICENTENNIAL...pile side.....MONARCH OF THE PLAINS
7. NRA BICENTENIAL - pile side-r.jpg
Herman added a little file work to the blades. He said that these Bowie blades with the Aurum etching were the hardest blades he has ever encountered. He used up 2 to 3 files per knife.
8. FILE WORK-r.jpg
He signed and dated them on the top of the guard
9. H. WILLIAMS 2017 BOWIE.jpg
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
tongueriver

Re: SCHRADE BOWIES

Post by tongueriver »

I believe that those are the fanciest purdiest dandelion diggers I ever did see. The one with the buffalo is my favorite for some reason. ::tu:: 8) ::tu::
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

Thank you Cal, I doubt I'll be digging any dandylions with them any time soon though...by the way, there are 2 with Buffalo
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

Some people of low character might call me "anal"...I prefer "thorough". I have another Bowie on it's way to Herman to add to this collection...another NRA Bicentennial Bowie. You see, I display these knives and the NRA Bicentennial is etched on both sides. Cal, I'm sure you would understand...I like the buffalo too.
Schradenut
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Schradenut »

WOW Doug, where do you keep getting all those Bowie's from.
I will stick my neck out here and say that they would be the the best collection of Schrade Bowie's going around in anybody's collection. Some (a few) might have the wooden handle set, but none would have them all handles in Stag, and files by the great man.
Well done my friend. They are exquisite.
Tony.
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

I'm with Tony on this....Most Definitely the best Bowie collection I have ever seen.

I am very jealous and you must be very proud to have amassed that great gathering Doug! Thank you so much for sharing the pictures.

Tom
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

Tom and Tony, Thanks very much for the kind words, you inspired me to post a few more Bowies that Herman has done. The ones with the blued blades are factory knives.

German Stag
2. GERMAN STAG NO S# (1200x900).jpg
Ram's Horn
3. RAM'S HORN (1200x900).jpg
Sambar Stag
4. SAMBAR STAG (1200x900).jpg
White Bone
5. WHITE BONE (1200x900).jpg
I ran out of daylight so the rest of the pictures were taken inside

TORCHED SAMBAR STAG This is a knife that Herman made in the 80's and awarded to the owner of the Best Schrade Collection at a knife show. The blade is engraved Best Schrade Collection
6. TORCHED SAMBAR STAG (1200x356).jpg
171UH SAMBAR STAG
7. 171UH SAMBAR STAG (1200x630).jpg
DUCKS UNLIMITED
8. DUCKS UNLIMITED (1200x407).jpg
NRA EAGLE
10. NRA SCREAMING EAGLE (1200x425).jpg
PEARL HARBOR
11. PEARL HARBOR (1200x374).jpg
NRA PASSING THE TORCH I was very fortunate to get this one. As you can see, only 12 were made. Thanks you Tony and Ken.
12. NRA PASSING THE TORCH (1200x348).jpg
KAW

Post by KAW »

The only thing the ones at the Wawarsing Knife Museum have over these here is I can view them in person.... :wink:
'til later....
Ken

10031 means.... never having a dull moment. 8)
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Doug, I am starting to think you are making Bowie knives yourself. :lol:
I may have to drive up North to your place and see all those Bowies and the largest collection of Herman's knives in existence! ::nod::

You have done well my friend! ::tu:: ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Those are simply stunning, just beautiful!
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

Thank you Dale, Glen and KAW. Here is a pic of how the display is set up for now. Herman is working on another clasp knife to replace the LB7.
BOWIE CABINET 9-7-17.jpg
and a few other fixed blade Schrades by Herman. The PH1 and PH2 in the middle have black and green micarta handles that he got out of the sample room at Schrade
BOOKCASE-2   9-7-17.jpg
and a few more. The center Bowie is an A.G. Russell 1861 made by Schrade in 2003.
FIXED BLADE WALL DISPLAY 7-14-17.jpg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Awesome collection. I'm confident you have insurance and a top notch home security system. ::paranoid::
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

And a dog that bites.....and you wouldn't want to meet Betty

BETTY
RUGER 45LC - HERMAN WILLIAMS BOWIE.JPG
Schradenut
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Schradenut »

I was right Doug, you do have a Bowie factory there...LOL.

Your displays are outstanding and as for "Betty", i wouldn't want to ruffle her feathers.

Thanks for showing my friend. I never tire of watching your magnificent collection.
Tony.
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

Thank you Tony, you have certainly been an influence and a help assembling this collection. By the way, my mom's name was Betty, she said she would always look out for me...and even though she has passed, she's still looking out for me.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Really something, Doug; thanks so much for leaving the pictorial legacy here on the forum for all to enjoy, hopefully to perpetuity. I was through Spokane the other day but it was not for pleasure and not practical for me to stop. We could have enjoyed some smart talk and coffee under better circumstances. I just honed up a PH-1 in white bone by Herman and hoping to use it soon.
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Dweb - that is an incredible collection of Bowies! I have to say that the one with the two buffalo is my favorite, but every one is nice.
Mel
mumblypeg

Post by mumblypeg »

Very nice collection ::drool::
Richard

"Sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand."
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

Thank you all for your good words I appreciate them.
Cal, I sure would have enjoyed a visit. I've not yet had the pleasure of showing my collection to another collector other than through pictures. Perhaps the next time you pass my way the circumstances will be more favorable. I have a fondness for Herman's white bone handled Schrades, they're beautiful knives.
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

Dinadan, I have to agree with you, the 2 buffalo are my favorite as well. I've often wondered what prompted the NRA to use that scene on the back of their Bicentennial knife, particularly the NRA banner over the skull.

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”