Export?

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
cody6268

Export?

Post by cody6268 »

I think a guy at the flea market today was making up a bunch of horse hockey. I picked up a Schrade Walden Hawkbill and said, this X scratched over the tang stamp and the XX Stamping on the rear means factory second. He tried to justify the $50 price (among a bunch of near double retail prices for used beater knives) by saying those twin Xs stamped on the other side of the tang meant export. I didn't want to get in an argument, so I just left the booth.

Is this guy right or just bluffing?
tongueriver

Re: Export?

Post by tongueriver »

factory second.
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

Just like Cal stated, that is a Factory Second. Schrade used x's, usually through the tang stamp or they just ground the tang stamps off. Based on them being factory seconds the price drops significantly. Although I will tell you, there usually is nothing mechanically wrong with the knives, it's usually something cosmetic that caused them to be seconds. If the problem was mechanical, they would have disassembled the knife and reused the parts that could be reused.

Tom
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Chase wrote:Just like Cal stated, that is a Factory Second. Schrade used x's, usually through the tang stamp or they just ground the tang stamps off. Based on them being factory seconds the price drops significantly. Although I will tell you, there usually is nothing mechanically wrong with the knives, it's usually something cosmetic that caused them to be seconds. If the problem was mechanical, they would have disassembled the knife and reused the parts that could be reused.

Tom

And that's what I was trying to tell the guy. He kept letting on like those stamps made it worth more due to that fake "export" crap.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

cody6268 wrote:
Chase wrote:Just like Cal stated, that is a Factory Second. Schrade used x's, usually through the tang stamp or they just ground the tang stamps off. Based on them being factory seconds the price drops significantly. Although I will tell you, there usually is nothing mechanically wrong with the knives, it's usually something cosmetic that caused them to be seconds. If the problem was mechanical, they would have disassembled the knife and reused the parts that could be reused.

Tom

And that's what I was trying to tell the guy. He kept letting on like those stamps made it worth more due to that fake "export" crap.
In that case money stays in wallet! ::nod::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
SolWarrior

Post by SolWarrior »

Some people are just big ol' piles of greed driven "horse hockey". :lol:

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”