Another Holy Grail -Schrade Jernigan

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Another Holy Grail -Schrade Jernigan

Post by Chase »

Roland,

This is a full Custom by Steve Jernigan and this was the only one made. This was actually taken apart at the Schrade Factory just for that purpose of measurements so that Schrade could start production. This is according to Steve's recollection. I will know more when he compiles the story for me.

Dale you are absolutely right.....too bad Schrade wasn't able to get this off and going before the shutdown! I think this would have been a great seller.

Tom
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

The passing of an Artist!

I was at Shot Show this past week and was talking with the folks at Bear & Son and they informed me that Steve Jernigan passed in Oct 2019. He was an Artist and accomplished custom knife maker. I cherish the time I spent with him at Blade Show and also that he would entrust me with the Jernigan/Schrade Collaboration Knife he made. Unfortunately, Schrade did not get the collaboration off to manufacturing before they went bankrupt.

Steve did make several knives for Bear & Son that they did reproduce. I got one last year and was picking up the second version at Shot Show this year. Bear & Son informed me that they have one more that Steve designed for them that will be out at a later date. I already have my name on the list for it.

Steve will be sorely missed and I hope his family is at peace. I will never forget the limited time that I was able to spend with such a kind, considerate Gentleman.

Rest in Peace my friend! ::teary_eyes::

Respectfully,

Tom
wlf

Post by wlf »

Pretty amazing story Tom. Seems the knife was to be yours. I miss our dinners at Blade. ::tu:: ::tu::
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Tom I'm sorry to hear of his passing but I'm sure glad you were able to meet him and get to know him a little. I'm also glad you were able to be the new caretaker of that very rare and unique knife.

Lyle if the Lord lets me live and get back to the Blade Show this year I fully intend to organize another AAPK Saturday night gathering.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Tom, Very nice! Any chance of a close-up picture, closed, of that handle and knife?
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

Here is a photo of the Schrade-Jernigan Collaboration both open and closed. This is the knife that Steve made for Schrade to copy and reproduce.

Tom
Attachments
Jernigan-Schrade Collaboration Open.jpg
Jernigan-Schrade Collaboration Closed.jpg
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

I know it doesn't really fit here, however, I thought I would show the two that Steve Jernigan mad for Bear & Son to reproduce. The top knife is from last year and the other is from this year. Again they (Bear & Son) have one more he (Steve Jernigan) designed that they want to bring out later this year or next year. Here are pictures of those.

Tom
Attachments
Jernigan-Bear & Son Knives Closed.jpg
Jernigan-Bear & Son Knives Open.jpg
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

The Schrade-Jernigan is a flipper...Thumb stud. The two Bear & Son-Jernigan knives are autos.

Tom
TPK

Post by TPK »

Congratulations Tom! ::handshake:: I don't know you yet but I'm very happy for you! ::tu:: ::super_happy::
Sometimes..., good luck is on your side! ::super_happy::

Tom
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

Apparently there have been a lot of folks after that knife and he wouldn't sell it. I was fortunate that I was in the right place at the right time and we bonded...I asked and he offered it up and I of course bought it.

There is only one that he made, however, rumor has it that Schrade made two samples although nobody knows where they are. Steve said he saw the samples and they were junk...I bet someone from the factory has them holed up.

In any event, I am absolutely happy to have the Original from the Master himself!

Tom

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”