Another Holy Grail -Schrade Jernigan

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Another Holy Grail -Schrade Jernigan

Post by Chase »

Here she is.....just arrived in town today and Wow am I excited to get her.

This is the only one of it's kind designed and built by the Master Himself, Mr. Steve Jernigan. I met Steve at the Blade Show this year and spent a lot of time at his table talking knives as well as the Schrade Jernigan Collaboration. I asked him if he had the knife still and would he be willing to sell it if he did. He stated he did in fact have the Original Prototype and that he had many offers to buy it although he never thought about selling it. Of course I had to ask the question....Did you want to sell it? He said that he would have to talk it over with his family before he made that decision and I respected him for that decision.

Now mind you, I had never seen the knife, only the brochure that Schrade had produced and I have to tell you I was excited to even be considered as a buyer of this magnificent piece of history. Steve told me that he would get back to me after he had time to digest the thought of selling the knife and confiring with his family. Well needless to say, I was on pins and needles for about 7-10 days before I heard back from Steve.

Steve decided it was time to sell the knife and he wanted me to have it based on our conversations and interaction. I sent him payment the next morning and within 3 days I received the 20" x 24" Professional photo of the knife. I was leaving for vacation that next day and hadn't received the knife yet. I only got back in town Saturday night, however, my mail was being held at the post office. I drove to the post office this morning to retrieve the knife, only to find out it had not arrived. I grabbed my pile of mail without looking at it and sulked home.

Once I got home, my wife asked why I didn't get the knife and I said it hadn't arrived. She held up a notice from the USPS about picking up a package and there it was from Mr. Steve Jernigan. I immediately called the Post Office and they apologized, it was in their controlled package room and didn't realize it when I picked up my mail. Needless to say...I immediately jumped into the truck and headed back to the PO.

I will not bore you with additional information so here it is........
::ds:: ::ds:: ::ds::
Attachments
007.JPG
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Another Holy Grail -Schrade Jernigan

Post by bestgear »

Congratulations, great story and wonderful piece of history. I'm glad it found it's way into your home and collection, enjoy it forever!
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

This was a Collaboration that was under way when Schrade closed their doors in 2004. This knife was supposed to be available in later 2004 to all Schrade customers and it never even got off the ground from a manufacturing point.

Tom
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Tom I`m glad it worked out.That is some knife! ::tu:: ::tu::
Roger
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

You should see it in hand....Gorgeous!
jlw257

Post by jlw257 »

Beautiful knife ::tu:: ::tu::
Larry W

Happiness is looking for XX Case Red Stag Knives
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Congratulations Tom. I'm so glad this all worked out for you. That knife has a lot of great history behind it and I'm happy to know it will be a part of your collection, hopefully for many years to come. That is a beautiful knife and it's a shame Schrade was never able to get it into production. ::handshake::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
ozzie marie

Post by ozzie marie »

That knife landed in the right place ::nod::

Congratulations Tom ::tu::

Tom & Steve Jernigan at the Blade Show
Blade Show 2017 (8).jpg
Loyalty and Respect are not purchased and owned for a lifetime, they are earned everyday.

Please visit my store at:
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ozziemarie
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Tom, I've been waiting for that picture! What a knife!! :shock: :shock: ::tu::

If you're ever up this way visiting bring it along, I'd give anything to see it in person. It's a Schrade legend that no one was sure ever existed. Now we know. I may have the color flyer around here somewhere, I'll do a search.

Eric
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Wow; what a great knife and great story! I had never even heard of it! I am enjoying the photo of you, also, Tom; all attempts to photograph me have resulted in damaged equipment. ::tu::
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

I knew that unicorn was out there, after all, how did they take a picture of it unless it existed?

It's nice that you have it in your collection Tom, given your connection to Schrade.

Congrats on getting that beauty!
FatCity67

Post by FatCity67 »

Right where it belongs. Congratulations again Tom. ::tu::

Phil.
"Maybe were all happy"
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

thank you folks!

once again, my poor photo taking skills do not do the knife any justice. This is an absolutely gorgeous custom knife and I am very fortunate to have it in my collection.

Tom
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Tom, is this knife a full custom built by Mr. Jernigan ?
Was the plan that he would make a second one that could be taken apart & measured so that Schrade could begin making them ?
thanks, kj
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

That is beautiful Tom! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
It would've been wonderful if they had actually produced some at Schrade!
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

Roland,

This is a full Custom by Steve Jernigan and this was the only one made. This was actually taken apart at the Schrade Factory just for that purpose of measurements so that Schrade could start production. This is according to Steve's recollection. I will know more when he compiles the story for me.

Dale you are absolutely right.....too bad Schrade wasn't able to get this off and going before the shutdown! I think this would have been a great seller.

Tom
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

The passing of an Artist!

I was at Shot Show this past week and was talking with the folks at Bear & Son and they informed me that Steve Jernigan passed in Oct 2019. He was an Artist and accomplished custom knife maker. I cherish the time I spent with him at Blade Show and also that he would entrust me with the Jernigan/Schrade Collaboration Knife he made. Unfortunately, Schrade did not get the collaboration off to manufacturing before they went bankrupt.

Steve did make several knives for Bear & Son that they did reproduce. I got one last year and was picking up the second version at Shot Show this year. Bear & Son informed me that they have one more that Steve designed for them that will be out at a later date. I already have my name on the list for it.

Steve will be sorely missed and I hope his family is at peace. I will never forget the limited time that I was able to spend with such a kind, considerate Gentleman.

Rest in Peace my friend! ::teary_eyes::

Respectfully,

Tom
wlf

Post by wlf »

Pretty amazing story Tom. Seems the knife was to be yours. I miss our dinners at Blade. ::tu:: ::tu::
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Tom I'm sorry to hear of his passing but I'm sure glad you were able to meet him and get to know him a little. I'm also glad you were able to be the new caretaker of that very rare and unique knife.

Lyle if the Lord lets me live and get back to the Blade Show this year I fully intend to organize another AAPK Saturday night gathering.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Tom, Very nice! Any chance of a close-up picture, closed, of that handle and knife?
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

Here is a photo of the Schrade-Jernigan Collaboration both open and closed. This is the knife that Steve made for Schrade to copy and reproduce.

Tom
Attachments
Jernigan-Schrade Collaboration Open.jpg
Jernigan-Schrade Collaboration Closed.jpg
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

I know it doesn't really fit here, however, I thought I would show the two that Steve Jernigan mad for Bear & Son to reproduce. The top knife is from last year and the other is from this year. Again they (Bear & Son) have one more he (Steve Jernigan) designed that they want to bring out later this year or next year. Here are pictures of those.

Tom
Attachments
Jernigan-Bear & Son Knives Closed.jpg
Jernigan-Bear & Son Knives Open.jpg
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

The Schrade-Jernigan is a flipper...Thumb stud. The two Bear & Son-Jernigan knives are autos.

Tom
TPK

Post by TPK »

Congratulations Tom! ::handshake:: I don't know you yet but I'm very happy for you! ::tu:: ::super_happy::
Sometimes..., good luck is on your side! ::super_happy::

Tom
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

Apparently there have been a lot of folks after that knife and he wouldn't sell it. I was fortunate that I was in the right place at the right time and we bonded...I asked and he offered it up and I of course bought it.

There is only one that he made, however, rumor has it that Schrade made two samples although nobody knows where they are. Steve said he saw the samples and they were junk...I bet someone from the factory has them holed up.

In any event, I am absolutely happy to have the Original from the Master himself!

Tom

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”