Why This Color LB7, Sears Knife Made by Schrade??

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
Timstools

Why This Color LB7, Sears Knife Made by Schrade??

Post by Timstools »

I used to call this plain handled knife below pictured together with the scrim my Mystery knife as there were 3 things about it I didnt know, first I had not seen an S before the 0001 on any other knife then also I didnt know what the BC tang stamp meant but I was told it means "Bear Cult". Thirdly the handle intriques me because when pictured beside other knife it shows the handle is a slightly different color and also has a much higher gloss than the normal scrimshaw delrin. It is very well fitted & finished so i think it was done at the factory.

The second Photo below is also a bit of a mystery to me also as I have been told from two seperate sources that I really respect that it is made by Schrade and the other person says it was not. Any thoughts or Knowledge appreciated. It has CS0000 stamped on the bolster.
Regards Tim

A KNIFE IS A THING OF GREAT BEAUTY
El Lobo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by El Lobo »

I would bet the bottom knife is a Camillus made knife. In particular, because of the position of the nail nick, and the position of the two rear pins.

JMO.

Bill

EDITED: For a little clarity.
Please visit the Member Stores here at AAPK, including my store.....GET AN EDGE!
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/getanedge
gmusic

Post by gmusic »

Camillus did make a bunch of Sears knives!

Right on Lobo..................
tobyrogers

Post by tobyrogers »

Here are a couple of poor pictures of my BC.The bolsters and handles match the other scrims in my collection.As far as the sears knife we've talked about the Camillus,Schrade history of these. Arnold
Attachments
PICT0013.JPG
PICT0013.JPG (80.25 KiB) Viewed 2774 times
PICT0012.JPG
PICT0012.JPG (80.01 KiB) Viewed 2775 times
Timstools

Post by Timstools »

Hi Arnold, i didnt realise you were a member of this forum also, nice to hear from you, thanks for the photos.

Yes I think the Bottom one of my photos is probably a Camillus made knife and I have facts and pictures from the other forum to support this conclusion. Problem is Im still not personally convinced, I thought LT or others might settle the question for me.
Thanks and Regards Tim
tobyrogers

Post by tobyrogers »

I just noticed the signature on the scrim with the ducks.Who signed it .It doesn't look like Franks signature?Arnold
Timstools

Post by Timstools »

I think it says Glen D Chambers, i think it has something to do with conservation although Im not sure.
Timstools

Post by Timstools »

I got these to pics off ebay today, note slight but distict color variation as in above.

lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

The plain white delrin is not a finished knife they were not originally sold plain. perhapes it was because of the higher shine or perhapes it was something they were trying, in any event it was not sold that way unless it came from the employee store customer store ( as a second) or was in those under wip work in progress that went to smokey and Blue ridge. It should be remembered that not every thing can be exactly labeled since machines people and procedures often vary even minutely from day to day. I do not know if the last knife was on contract from Schrade to Camillus I was not aware that this pattern was farmed out. I do know some patterns that were. In any event to show that many of the Sears or Craftsmen knives were made by Sears I just went out and found two tang stamps to verify this. They are not exactly the one on your knife ( there were many variations ). However there are thousands of stamps to look through and these are the first ones I came on ( I did not want to make this single post a career ) and this should show my point that Schrade did make them. However, interestingly, The correct original Goose hot die for your scrim just seemed to pop off the shelf so I added some pics of it also. This would have been the only hot die used for the entire issue of this knife . So please show this picture to your knife so that it can see what its father looked like. LT
Attachments
MVC-005S.JPG
MVC-005S.JPG (12.33 KiB) Viewed 2627 times
MVC-004S.JPG
MVC-004S.JPG (15.74 KiB) Viewed 2627 times
MVC-003S.JPG
MVC-003S.JPG (5.49 KiB) Viewed 2627 times
MVC-002S.JPG
MVC-002S.JPG (8.16 KiB) Viewed 2627 times
MVC-001S.JPG
MVC-001S.JPG (23.25 KiB) Viewed 2627 times

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”