Schrade 856 in delrin?

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
KnifeSlinger#81

Schrade 856 in delrin?

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Were 856 jr cattle knives ever made in delrin? The pattern was last made in 1961 so the window for delrin handles was very short. I've never seen a delrin one so I'm curious.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
kootenay joe

Re: Schrade 856 in delrin?

Post by kootenay joe »

Delrin was first used as a knife handle by Schrade-Walden in 1960 according to research done by Michael Little (codger64) and posted some years ago on BF. All references to this 1960 date for Delrin appearance come from this reference. Most likely it is correct but i know of no one else to have also researched this.
Note that Albert Baer had approached Dupont in the mid 1950's asking for a stable plastic that could be poured into molds and was also mill-able, heat stable, not slippery when wet etc. In 1960 S-W received the first shipment of Delrin after about 5 years of development by Dupont. i.e. S-W was the first company worldwide to get Delrin.
After 1960 the switch from lovely bone and bad unstable plastics to the dull boring but stable & tough Delrin, proceed quickly but i doubt that an 856 made in 1961 would have received Delrin. Instead they stopped making this fine pattern.
Note: i have a history of being wrong.
kj
KnifeSlinger#81

Re: Schrade 856 in delrin?

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

I suspect they used their parts up and the pattern ceased and they never bothered with a delrin mold.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”