Schrade-Walden 825

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
XX Case XX

Schrade-Walden 825

Post by XX Case XX »

I found this Schrade in a drawer today and don't even remember where I got it. It says "825" on one of the blades and the handles appear to be Delrin. I'm not a Schrade guy so can anyone out there tell me anything about this knife? Is it old? Is it scarce? Is it just another Schrade?

IMG_1220.JPG
IMG_1219.JPG
IMG_1221.JPG
IMG_1222.JPG
IMG_1223.JPG
IMG_1226.JPG
"If there are no Dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went". Will Rogers

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Schrade-Walden 825

Post by treefarmer »

Mike,
Look down a thread or two and find "SCHRADES MY TRUE LOVE" page 59, ratlesnake75 has posted a price list from 1-1-1964. It shows your 825 could be bought for $27 per dozen. :)
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Those are not particularly rare, but you can't just always find a good one for sale either. In the catalogs it's an 825 RB which stands for razor blade stainless which was trademarked (or patented?) if I remember correctly.

There would have been an etch on the master blade that seems to be worn off on your knife. I like the stamps on stainless waldens like yours. You've got a good schrade that's a fine edc ::tu::

treefarmer wrote:It shows your 825 could be bought for $27 per dozen. :)
Treefarmer
I'll take 3 dozen :mrgreen:
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

The first 825s hit the catalogs in 1953, as Dale has so kindly made reference so easily accessed by us now. The first ones were bone, had threaded bolsters and milled liners, and a patent pending etch. All of these features gradually disappeared. Your knife could have been made as late as 1973 by the stamp, and as early as 1960 or 1961. They are nice knives, as are a few Schrades. :lol:
Here is an example of one that was probably made for the first year of production, and illustrates an important historical item. It does not have "U.S.A." in the stamp, and we know that it was not made before the offerings in the 1953 catalog. This tells us that on at least some knives that early stamp was still being used. This helps us to date some items but it is a fuzzy line. This example is well worn and the etch is gone (darn) but it is a useful marker.
825 early bone001.jpg
825 early bone002.jpg
825 early bone003.jpg
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey Mr. Tongueriver, Absolutely TOTALLY Amazing!!! I do believe you forgot to mention HOW RARE that knife is Sir, LMAO. I also notice that only the Master is stamped on this 1953 knife which will indeed help narrow the dates on ALL BLADE Stamped knives right?? I am seeing the pattern of Mid 50's as you suggest for the USA stamps,,,no matter what our books say,,,Just wish they would change them if the knowledge is available
Very interesting find & totally Cool buddy
Kind Regards,
Mark
I Buy/Sell/Trade All Vintage Antique Pocket knives from Junkers to Mint. I am Easy going, so Please shoot me a message ANYTIME!!! l Live & Breath KNIVES Everyday.
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

beautiful 825 Cal, I reckon that's about the prettiest Slenderino I've seen in some time. Here's a Schrade tang stamp chart for those that don't already have one.
SCHRADE TANG STAMPS.jpg
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
KAW

Post by KAW »

Can anyone explain why my Schrade Walden 825 has a strange lookin' nail nik at the tip of the sheepfoot blade in front of an arched bevel on the spine?.... compared to the above posted pics which show the normal lookin' blade with the typical shaped nail nik in a more usual position because the bevel in the spine is not there. Was there a particular purpose to this variation?... why would they have changed it? What time frame would they have done this? The knife has been lightly used, but there still is a faint imprint of the etched razor blade image on the master clip altho it does not show in the photo.
10280 10279 10281
'til later....
Ken

10031 means.... never having a dull moment. 8)
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

KAW wrote:Can anyone explain why my Schrade Walden 825 has a strange lookin' nail nik at the tip of the sheepfoot blade in front of an arched bevel on the spine?.... compared to the above posted pics which show the normal lookin' blade with the typical shaped nail nik in a more usual position because the bevel in the spine is not there. Was there a particular purpose to this variation?... why would they have changed it? What time frame would they have done this? The knife has been lightly used, but there still is a faint imprint of the etched razor blade image on the master clip altho it does not show in the photo.
It looks to me like the blade slipped the jig in the factory when they were milling the nail nik and only the bottom part of the nik was milled into the top of the blade. That's the bevel in the top of your blade. That impression toward the end of the blade looks homemade, an improvised nail nik.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I believe Mustanger nailed it. It’s not uncommon to find blades that have slipped in the jigs when they’re being machined. Because I repair Schrades and Camillus’ primarily and because a lot of blades have been sold at the bankruptcy auctions I have accumulated a sizable inventory of Schrade and Camillus blades. People selling the blades at the bankruptcy obviously didn’t know enough (or care enough) to sort the defective blades from the good ones. I have seen light nail nicks, off centered ones, similar to yours, and even bent blades, just depending on which process the blade was undergoing when it slipped in the jig. I have in LB7 blade that is perfect on the mark side and only partially ground on the pile side.

I don’t think mistakes in the stamping and the machining are unusual, what is unusual is that it wasn’t caught in QC. Must’ve been made on a Monday morning after a party weekend or maybe a Friday afternoon after the party had already started. This is the first Schrade I recall seeing with the mis-stamped nail nick that was actually in a knife.
IMHO, they had more the best QC departments in the US.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
KAW

Post by KAW »

The bevel IS the nail nik!... ::idea:: I never would have thunk that. ::doh:: ....but it is perfectly plausible. Thanks Mustanger & Dale.
The fact that it slipped by QC must make it a rarity.... yes? Dale.... are you saying this could be one those "end of days" knives I keep hearing about from Shrade's production in 2004? Were they still making the 825?

I wonder if it works like a mis−struck coin from the mint.... does that make it more valuable?.... probably just the opposite.... just another seconds knife.... ::undecided::
'til later....
Ken

10031 means.... never having a dull moment. 8)

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”