Schrade+ springs

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Schrade+ springs

Post by treefarmer »

I ended up with a rather abused Uncle Henry, SCHRADE+ USA 897UH. Trying to clean it up a bit I found the springs to be very rusty, actually pitted on the back of the knife and the well was/still is nasty with rust. Blades still function but not like they should, a little oil and continued open and close should hopfully loosen them up.
Question is:
Aren't the springs on a Schrade knife with + symbol on blade usually stainless steel like the blades?
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
KnifeSlinger#81

Re: Schrade+ springs

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

The springs were still carbon on the standard UH's. To my knowledge the only + steel knives that has stainless springs were either limited editions or lockbacks.

It's the reverse of modern case cv knives :lol:
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Schrade+ springs

Post by treefarmer »

Thanks, Paul. I guess I never paid much attention to Schrade springs. I do have a 1970 Case 6254 SS with a carbon spring and an SS spring.
Just wonderin' what could have caused this, I can visualize that it spent some time in somebody's tackle box, maybe. ::shrug::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”