Any chance of a sticky for fixed blade Schrades?

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
Replicant

Re: Any chance of a sticky for fixed blade Schrades?

Post by Replicant »

I took a gamble on a big grab bag of knives recently. One sentence that only mentioned one of the dozen or so knives and one blurry picture. I've never owned a Schrade in my forty plus years of collecting and carrying knives, but I'm very impressed with the three that came in the lot. This old Walden 165 was looking pretty grim, but after a lot of elbow grease and a replacement sheath on the way, I really like it. Wicked sharp too.
Attachments
IMG_1163.JPG
IMG_2235.JPG
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

The 165 variations are one of my very favorite collectible knife. Thanks for posting that beauty!
Replicant

Post by Replicant »

tongueriver wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:05 am The 165 variations are one of my very favorite collectible knife. Thanks for posting that beauty!
Thanks for the kind words. She started out pretty rough. ::teary_eyes::
Attachments
IMG_4203.JPG
Replicant

Post by Replicant »

Here is a 152 from the same horde. It looks pretty run of the mill, but surprisingly in unused and unsharpened condition. I never understood the fascination around this model, but over the years it kind of grew on me. Had no intention of buying one, but now that I have one, I've been researching the hell out of it. :)
Attachments
IMG_6908.JPG
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

That right there is a couple of nice ones Replicant...
Great finds for sure!!

::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Replicant

Post by Replicant »

Meridian_Mike wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:42 am That right there is a couple of nice ones Replicant...
Great finds for sure!!

::tu::

Thanks. ::tu::
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I don't think I showed this display before (?). I got it on Leap Day this year. It is about 11 X 22 inches. The knives are in clear plastic bubble thingie that is sandwiched into this heavy paperboard backing and I assume displayed on Sears counters. However I have never seen another one. I believe it to be about 1967 vintage but I have not found any solid evidence for that. The "Deer Slayer" is especially rare as a variation of a 165, having a hidden tang terminating in a brass pommel plate. I guess everything about this display is very rare. There is no provision for hanging it and it may even be a prototype (?).
ACA1.jpg
ACA2.jpg
ACA3.jpg
ACA4.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

I like it Mr. T River. ::tu::
bladecollectorr

Post by bladecollectorr »

tongueriver wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:27 pm I don't think I showed this display before (?)...
Outstanding!
I don't always respond to great posts but I always appreciate seeing them. Thanks for posting! ::tu::
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

WOW.... a rare bird for sure!
Congrats on the find!

::tu:: :shock: ::tu::
FatCity67

Post by FatCity67 »

Incredible Sears Craftsman knife set.

Question if it was late 60's wouldn't it have been a birds head pommel instead of flat on the 171 clone? Was Schrade using that flat head design then?

Reason I ask is that I have a Schrade Walden 171 with the flat head pommel. I assumed it was from 1973 -74 when SW changed the design from bird to flat during their name change as well.
"Maybe were all happy"
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Some good questions. Dale says the 171UH did not start until 1973 (but early enough to have Schrade Walden tang stamps). So this display could not have been 1967. And the switch from bird head pommel to square butt eludes me. I don't know if the bird heads were mfg for a week or for a year. It is known that there were two runs of the 171UH, '73 to '83 and then again in the 1990s. It was common practice for Sears to get some of the first runs of given patterns and often specified some tweaks. Frankly, I don't know when this display was made. That 165 in the display was an exclusive Sears offering for sure. A few (dozens?) of the very first 153UH knives had Schrade Walden stamps and I suspect that Sears got some of those, but with their own stamps. I have one SW 153UH and have knowledge of 3 or 4 more, all with serial #s very low. Mine is #01535. I am always amazed at how many knives they must have been able to make in a day.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

This 145 WW WE has not so much as a fingerprint on its pristine "wonder"full ness.
ww4.jpg
ww5.jpg
ww6.jpg
ww8.jpg
ww9.jpg
bladecollectorr

tongueriver wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:49 pm This 145 WW WE has not so much as a fingerprint on its pristine "wonder"full ness.ww4.jpgww5.jpgww6.jpgww8.jpgww9.jpg
That one sure looks to be a time-traveller. Nice score!

The patent pending etch probably narrows the mfg date too, if you did some digging. Until I saw this one I had no idea they came with those stickers (or that etch).
I don't always respond to great posts but I always appreciate seeing them. Thanks for posting! ::tu::
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

tongueriver wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:49 pm This 145 WW WE has not so much as a fingerprint on its pristine "wonder"full ness.
WOW.... yep, just like a step back in time!!!
GREAT find Cal...... ::tu::
That is an AMAZING example!!!

:shock:
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

That's Wonda-ful, Cal!
koldgold
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by koldgold »

Got this Schrade - Loveless out yesterday to take some photos.

Here comes Summer - the flowers are out. ::ds::
Attachments
DSC_2713.JPG
DSC_2704.JPG
DSC_2706.JPG
DSC_2708.JPG
HI FROM AUSTRALIA
A.A.P.N. # 5197: Member of Australian & U.S Blade Forums...KEN -
I collect Schrade knives - made in the U.S.A.- I like the 8OT
Benton629

Post by Benton629 »

Oh man that is a beauty!
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Ditto what Benton said. Love the coloring of the handle.
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Great read and pics here. Being hunting season ,got some hunters out and thought what the heck,Post a couple. Got the 153 some years ago ,not very familiar with Schrade. Would 33941 be a # from late 1970 into early 80 on the 153UH . Have used it many years ,and field dressed a lot of whitetail with it ,it’s been a great user. The other one ,believe you call it a sharp finger ,is that correct? It’s new and never been used ,got sheath and box . It’s a pattern that I don’t really care for. Got a bunch of older ones will dig out and post someday
Attachments
31ABA23B-6C53-42C7-8F38-5B0799E9C801.jpeg
24F2C6C9-FB41-4A21-A5A0-C2A7B6187AC0.jpeg
JP
Kulrich

Post by Kulrich »

Working on a layout to display my Schrade Aurum Bowies.

Top left, Citizens Committee to Keep and Bear Arms with sterling fittings (Only 6 blades made, less finished) Below that is the Mountain Man Scene which is what is on the back of the above knife (1of 3 made to test etch design). Below that is Custer Bowie, then one variation of Colt Bowie. Top right is 1976 NRA Deluxe Bowie with sterling and below that is back side of standard NRA Bowie. The next two are Buffalo Bill Bowie and a another variation of the Colt Bowie.
Attachments
Schrade Aurum Bowie Collection
Schrade Aurum Bowie Collection
IMG_1879.JPG
IMG_1876.JPG
Freedom: You have the right to be you, I have the right to be free of you.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Remarkable!
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Very impressive. Congratulations. ::tu::
bladecollectorr

Kulrich wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:55 pm Working on a layout to display my Schrade Aurum Bowies.

Top left, Citizens Committee to Keep and Bear Arms with sterling fittings (Only 6 blades made, less finished) Below that is the Mountain Man Scene which is what is on the back of the above knife (1of 3 made to test etch design). Below that is Custer Bowie, then one variation of Colt Bowie. Top right is 1976 NRA Deluxe Bowie with sterling and below that is back side of standard NRA Bowie. The next two are Buffalo Bill Bowie and a another variation of the Colt Bowie.
That is an outstanding group! Thanks for posting the pics!
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

138 Wonda Edge with Patent Pending etch. The 138WE wasn't in a catalog but a total of 144 units did ship in 1960. The etch on this one implies 1957-1958 - with that and the imperfect sheath text I'm thinking prototype/sample.
138WE.jpg
- Jason

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”