"Schrade Factory Prototype"

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
kootenay joe

"Schrade Factory Prototype"

Post by kootenay joe »

That is what the listing said, posted on ebay by Smoky Mountain Knife Works. SMKW probably handles more knives than any other dealer in the world. They know knives and have no need to false advertise. That said this knife bears no resemblance to any Schrade i have ever seen. However Schrade did make all kinds of short run special order knives. The longer you collect, the more Schrade 'oddities' you will see.
This fixed blade knife is unlike any other knife i have ever seen. OAL 9 1/2", handle 5 1/4", large double guard to protect your hand and an upswept blade similar to the old Green River skinners, except this one is razor sharp along both edges. The primary grind starts in mid blade and tapers equally to become very thin at both top and bottom edges both of which then have an edge grind. Both edges are 'scary sharp'.
I am willing to believe it came from the Schrade factory, but made by Schrade ??
And what could it possibly be designed to do ?
I hope some of the most experienced Schrade people will see this as it might tweak an old memory of this or similar knife being in the factory.
Great Mystery here i think !
kj
Attachments
Picture 001.jpg
Picture 002.jpg
Picture 004.jpg
Picture 003.jpg
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: "Schrade Factory Prototype"

Post by orvet »

Although I was never at the Schrade factory I know many people who were. LT (lt632ret) said there were knives from every company there. Schrade would compare knives from other companies to their knives to see how the quality matched up. And no doubt if they ran across an interesting pattern they might pick one up to see if there is a some part of the design they could adapt and use in their line.

I could buy that the knife was found in the Schrade factory… That it is a knife made by Schrade is a horse of a different color.
That would need some sort of substantiation. ::nod::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

Dale,

I would agree...possibly came from the factory auction, however, I do not believe it was a Schrade knife.

LT was correct in saying that Schrade had a lot of other manufacturers knives that they did comparisons with. There is also an abundance of other manufacturers brochures such as Case, Kissing Crane, Camillus ect... I know as I have some of these documents in my files that came out of the Executive offices.

Tom
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thank you gentlemen. I have thought it likely that Schrade had other manufacturer's knives 'floating around', so it's good to have that substantiated.
Now the question is: what purpose for a knife equally ground top & bottom edge with this upsweeping profile ?
Probably agricultural, perhaps for harvesting a specific plant ? so you could cut coming & going !
kj

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”