Shield Size?

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
cody6268

Shield Size?

Post by cody6268 »

I recently found a 97OT USA Buzzsaw Trapper for $10, and it's the Ducks Unlimited Limited Edition 2003 version, with oval logo shield. Unfortunately, that knife is also missing that shield. I see a couple different ones on Ebay as Ellenville leftovers, but the prices vary widely. Some people want $10 for one shield, and some want $10 for a pack of ten, a bit more reasonable if I come across more knives like this later. The cheaper ones are listed as being 5/8 by 3/8. Will it fit this knife?
Mustanger

Re: Shield Size?

Post by Mustanger »

I hate to sound like a smartass, but the obvious answer is, measure the opening in the knife handle where the shield is supposed to go. There are 'Schrade'' marked oval shields available that will fit too if you want something different and are not dead set on having a DU knife. If there is no opening in the handle for a shield then you have an unfinished DU knife and putting a shield on it would not be worth the effort of doing it right, imo.

See this page for pictures and info about End of Days, unfinished DU knives.
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... start=1605
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Cody, I think this is the knife you are referring too. If so I'm pretty sure I have a shield in my shop. I will look in the morning. If I have one I can send it out to you. A little glue and your in buisness. By the way this is one of my favorite schrade knives. Very solid useful pattern. Only problem is its too nice to use. I found a nice DU sheath to go with it. Fits perfect like it was meant to go with it. Maybe it was.
image.jpg
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

JAMESC41001 wrote:Cody, I think this is the knife you are referring too. If so I'm pretty sure I have a shield in my shop. I will look in the morning. If I have one I can send it out to you. A little glue and your in buisness. By the way this is one of my favorite schrade knives. Very solid useful pattern. Only problem is its too nice to use. I found a nice DU sheath to go with it. Fits perfect like it was meant to go with it. Maybe it was. image.jpg

That's a nice one. I don't think I've noticed that one before. Nice blade etch. I favor the 96OT Greenwing version. I'd like to replace the shield with the one that says OLD TIMER. I'm afraid to try digging the shield out of the handle though.
Attachments
96ot Ducks Unlimited.jpg
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

These are the shields I believe your looking for. They are 3/4"x 3/16". Yours if you need them. Let me know I'll send them out
Jay
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

image.jpg

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”