Schrade USA 206 Prototype

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
Sanders Knives

Schrade USA 206 Prototype

Post by Sanders Knives »

Here's one you won't see often. Matt
Attachments
IMG_2172.JPG
IMG_2173.JPG
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Schrade USA 206 Prototype

Post by orvet »

It looks like a demonstration knife with a cutaway that shows the Swinden pin.

That is neat, haven't seen one before.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Sanders Knives

Post by Sanders Knives »

It was a poor design whatever it was for.. The piece that comes out is a nail file. Of course the pin next to the bolster is useless.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

After looking at these pictures on the large screen of my PC as opposed to my cell phone I agree, it does appear to be a poor design and I would even venture to say it’s probably homemade. The fit of that nail file that goes into the bolster is abysmal. It almost appears to be a different material. Those bolsters don’t appear to be the normal Schrade #206 bolsters. I noticed the sticker that says rare and the sticker that says prototype are both handwritten. Both of the pins that I see appeared to have issues of some sort as though they had been drilled into?

It looks me like something a guy made for his wife because she wanted a knife with a larger nail file in it. With the cut out in the bolster the only support on that side of the knife around the blades would be what support is given by the liners and the little bit of the remaining bolster. The Barlow design was meant to be a heavy-duty work knife and the longer bolsters were to help support the blade and prevent twisting and loosening of the blades

This doesn’t look like the quality that would come out of Schrades custom shop or prototype shop. This looks more like something homemade.

Just my 2¢… ::shrug::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

I agree with you Dale. I think what you have there is something that someone cobbled together. I will share this photo with my Mom and Uncle to see if there was anything like this being looked into. Mom was Quality Control and my Uncle worked in the Custom Shop and was the Sample maker.

I assure you that "If" it was a sample or prototype, it would have been a much better finished product ....my two cents

Tom
Sanders Knives

Post by Sanders Knives »

The knife was part of the stuff that was sold at the Schrade bankruptcy auction. If it was cobbled as some suggest, it was done at Schrade. The rare and proto stickers were not put on at Schrade.
Sanders Knives

Post by Sanders Knives »

The knife was part of the stuff that was sold at the Schrade bankruptcy auction. If it was cobbled as some suggest, it was done at Schrade. The rare and proto stickers were not put on at Schrade.
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

I don't doubt that Matt, I would like to see some of that stuff that was sold as I am sure there were a lot of pieces like that. The employees made up a lot of different knives that were not Schrade production knives.

My brother was always making up butchering knives, hooks, and gambles not to mention lots of other "Pet" projects. It is highly likely that what you have there is a piece that an employee was working on for personal use.

With that said, it "IS" a piece of Schrade History, not something that was thrown together in someone's worshop or basement. Now if you could find the person responsible and document the story.....that would mean a lot

I have some sample knives that were made by my Mom out of Quality Control, they wanted to see if they would be able to sell them. In fact two of those particular samples were not approved for production and they were given to Mom. She passed them to me for my gathering.....truly one of a kind knives that just didn't flip a switch for the consumers.

Thank you for sharing!
tom
ea42

Post by ea42 »

I think it's kind of cool. The fit of the file handle to the bolster leaves a lot to be desired, but it's not exactly an easy task to mill that slot in the bolster to fit the file and not go so deep that you interfere with the blade rivet. Definitely took a bit of work and imagination.

Eric
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

At the very least it's pretty interesting, and like he said, it's one that you won't see very often...

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”